LCR .22 Spring lightening convolution. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM
fredcdobbs
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
LCR .22 Spring lightening convolution.

There is a video on Youtube by Jim Humphries showing how to disassemble a LCR and lighten the spring 2.5 grains for a better trigger pull on his .22lr pistol. (He didn't say what the initial weight of the spring was before he started thinning it.)
I did the disassembly and took 2.5 grains off my red .22 Magnum LCR spring with a commensurate lightening of trigger pull. The stock red spring weighed 29.1 grains and now weighs 26.6 grains post lightening.

In doing this I measured the thickness of .22 Magnum and .22 lr brass. I found them the same thickness hence, in my mind, requiring the same main spring pressure for reliability.

Out of curiosity, I ordered some LCR .38 centerfire springs (Natural metal color) and they weigh 24.5 grains and will not consistently pop .22 magnum ammo when I tried.

I like the LCR .22 magnum a lot, so I bought a .22lr version on a good deal thinking I'd shave 2.5 grains off the spring as well, just like the video shows. I also noted that the out of the box stock trigger pull was nicer than the stock .22 magnum pull.

The reason the trigger pull is nicer on the .22lr is (when I took the .22 long rifle LCR apart) the main spring on the 22lr was blue color and weighted two grains less than my stock red .22 magnum spring and weighed two grains lighter stock weighing 27.1 grains.
Note 27.1 grains is only .5 grains more than my lightened modified 22 magnum spring!

So I looked at Humphries video closely and sure enough where he chucks the spring in his drill motor, it has some blue color.

Looks like when I remove 2.5 grains from my blue .22 lr spring like Humphries did, it will come in at 24.6 grains. This is almost identical to the .38 special spring weight of 2.5 grains that didn't work in my Magnum reliably!

Well, instead of modifying my blue spring, I may as well slip in one of the .38 springs and see if I get a different reliability result. If I still get misfires, there is no point of lightening my blue spring.

At that point I'll see if I can get a spare blue spring from Ruger, I'll try to lighten one grain or 1.5 grains and see what that does.

Fun puzzle.

Gets a little complicated.

I'm calling Humphries for his opinion.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:05 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen several gun forum posts, probably some here on RFC, about .38 LCR springs not working in .22LR LCRs. Those writers had too many light strikes with no bang. Maybe your results will somehow be different?
Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I've seen several gun forum posts, probably some here on RFC, about .38 LCR springs not working in .22LR LCRs. Those writers had too many light strikes with no bang. Maybe your results will somehow be different?
Exactly. I'm confused. If I trim 2.5 grains off my stock blue spring the way he did in the video, I get the same weight as a .38 spring. Why would that work and not the same weight center fire spring?

So I am reluctant to take more than 1.0 grains off the blue spring and won't do that unless I can get a backup. The trigger pull is not so bad I can't live with it and no where as bad as the Magnum pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017, 06:42 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Today I reinstalled a .38 Special spring in my .22 LCR just to recheck. Not working well.
8 Aguila primers fired, 7 of 8 primers CCI primers fired and only 4 of 8 SK primers fired.
Taking 2.5 grains off the blue .22 long rifle spring will take it down to the same weight as the .38 spring.
So I am cautious. I have a back up .22lr blue spring on the way. When I have that in my pocket, I.ll take 1.0 grains off the spring and test. I can't see it lightened more than 1.5 grains.
We shall see.
Love that little revolver with the Hogue grip.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 PM
fredcdobbs

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I checked my trigger pulls on the .22 long rifle and .22 magnum LCRs.

Stock 38 Special spring. 9# 1oz. to 9# 6 oz. pounds.
Stock .22 long rifle blue spring. 11#10-12 oz.
Stock red .22 Magnum spring. As I recall. In excess of my Lyman gauge at 15# plus. It was not pretty.
Lightened red .22 magnum spring by 2.5 grains got me 11# 2 oz. Not great, but livable.
Id be happy if my modified blue spring would come in at 9#. Pretty nice pull.

Depending on how lightening the blue spring turns out, I think I could shave maybe another 0.5 to1.0 grains from the red spring.