Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 AM
wil2279

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most accurate barrels?

Ok... so if unwanted the most accurate 10/22 I can build... who's barely would I start with. I know Kidd is awesome, I hear great things about Feddersen, and companies like Volquartzen, Lilja and Shilen and Green mountain have good reputations, but for strictly accuracy, who is top dog?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Opinions will vary and you may be able to narrow it down to 3 or 4 if you were to take a poll but there is no "one best" barrel.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:29 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
Opinions will vary and you may be able to narrow it down to 3 or 4 if you were to take a poll but there is no "one best" barrel.
I agree 100% and will add.. You are more likely to get a really good barrel from one of the top tier manufacturers than say GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 12:04 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
The best way to be sure of the highest and best chance to have the most accurate barrel possible for your 10/22 is to send it to a very reputable gun smith.
Have said gun smith order you a barrel blank, chamber and install it for you.

When it comes to the barrel blank go with the gun smith recommendation.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Bartlein
Old 08-05-2017, 12:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My top shooters are Lilja and Kidd. I have had many GM barrels and several have been outstanding but only 1 or 2 have been able to keep up with my Kidd's and my Lilja. I've also tried VQ, Tacsol, WP, Shilen, and Clark. Of that list, only the VQs I've had were barrels I'd buy again.

The bottom line is there is no barrel manufacturer that is going to make absolute dead nuts accurate barrels every time. There will be an average base accuracy by every producer, which will also produce the occasional lemon and the occasional outstanding hummer. In my mind, it is a game involving the law of averages.

Which barrel maker do you have a better chance of getting an absolute tack driver from?

I do not keep a barrel if it does not really impress me, and I have sent back and sold several dozen.

IMO and IME, too many people buy a barrel and absolutely commit to it, building everything else around it and swapping parts, bedding, etc when they should be thinking of the barrel as yet another replaceable component in a system. I test each barrel I buy extensively in an action/stock setup that is proven in every way, then decide if it's a keeper or not.

Serious competitive shooters use a "weeding out" process when building a rifle from scratch. They will buy as many barrel blanks as they can commit to the project, often 10 or more and send them all to their gunsmith who will proceed to slug them and choose the top two or three that have the proper choke characteristics at the desired length to be keepers. Those blanks will be chambered, crowned, lapped and tested to find the ONE that the rifle will use. The rest? They will be sold down the road as "tomato stakes ".

I do not have a custom rifle in my safe that has the first barrel that I bought for it still in place. Many of them have had two or three barrel swaps and a couple of them up to five or six before I found the barrel that I was happy with.

Of all of the rimfire barrel manufacturers that I have used over the years building SEMI AUTO rimfire rifles for myself and others, Kidd is the company that has produced the highest PERCENTAGE of highly accurate barrels, but I've even returned and/or sold several of theirs.

Good Luck!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-05-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter65 View Post
Bartlein
$375

Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for.

I didn't even know they made 10/22 barrels.

I'll have to check them out. Have you posted any targets?

I don't want to hijack the thread, please send me a PM with some targets, distance shot, ammo & setup used if you have pics...

Old 08-05-2017, 10:43 AM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=918121
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM
shooter65

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have had all the top brands and many custom rifles over the years including two custom AMT's with Shilen barrels that were probably the most accurate 10/22 rifles I have had. Unfortunately, photobucket went full on us and my past posts about the dot drill is no longer available.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...l-competition/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/shoot...ecision-match/

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=265644&page=2

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=265644

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=310347&page=3

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-05-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed offensive language
Old 08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I've had the best luck with vq. I also had good results with Kidd as well.
Iron
Old 08-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I've tried 10/22 barrels from pretty much all of the more popular companies. I have 14 10/22's all custom builds, and the 3 that have Feddersen barrels are the 3 most accurate ones I own. My Kidd's are a very close second however. That doesn't mean you won't get a phenomenal shooting barrel from another company but with some you are rolling the dice to hope and get a shooter.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 PM
rnasah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feddersen barrel question

Hey Nick, I'm having a little trouble grouping with a new 16 black/fluted/threaded Fed. Titan, Fed Bronze, Kidd bolt/guide rod/single stage/brake. What ammo does yours like? Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I've tried 10/22 barrels from pretty much all of the more popular companies. I have 14 10/22's all custom builds, and the 3 that have Feddersen barrels are the 3 most accurate ones I own. My Kidd's are a very close second however. That doesn't mean you won't get a phenomenal shooting barrel from another company but with some you are rolling the dice to hope and get a shooter.

I forgot to mention Feddersen, which deserves mention up there at the top. Plus, Fred's customer service is second to none.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnasah View Post
Hey Nick, I'm having a little trouble grouping with a new 16 black/fluted/threaded Fed. Titan, Fed Bronze, Kidd bolt/guide rod/single stage/brake. What ammo does yours like? Thanks!!

Mine really likes of all things Federal Automatch which is great considering the price. But no two rimfires are exactly alike. What shoots good in one might not in another. The only thing I can recommend is to try as many different brands as possible and see what shoots best. Also you didn't mention what size groups your getting and at what distance? Scoped or irons?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:53 AM
rnasah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1.2 to 1.6 inch groups. 50ys off a bench with Caldwell Rock BR front rest and rear Protektor. 8-32x44 Mueller target dot. I've tried several brands of ammo, I think I will run a boresnake through it today and see what happens.