Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:22 AM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Picatinny Rail For MkIV

I called to ask Ruger if their Picatinny rail for the MkIV required removal of the rear sight and they told me it did. Seeing the now closed thread about it by SGW Gunsmiths made me wonder if that rail can be installed "backwards" on the MkIV so it extends over the rear of the grip with the rear sight removed and that's why it has both four holes and two ejection port relief cuts.

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, it fits on the Mk IV just like the Mk III 22/45 lite. It will fit in front of the rear sight or you can remove the rear sight and and turn the rail 180 degrees to sit farther to the rear of the gun. That is what I did to mine.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Yes, it fits on the Mk IV just like the Mk III 22/45 lite. It will fit in front of the rear sight or you can remove the rear sight and and turn the rail 180 degrees to sit farther to the rear of the gun. That is what I did to mine.
Great and thanks for the explanation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got this one, that fits with the rear sight, and doesn't overhang the receiver...

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-P...ACK_p_128.html

Old 02-03-2017, 05:12 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only difference I can see in the Ruger and the TandemKross is twenty dollars.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
The only difference I can see in the Ruger and the TandemKross is twenty dollars.
The Ruger mount is longer and allows for more mounting space when installing a scope. As you can see from the photo, the longer rail allows the scope to be mounted far enough forward so the end doesn't protrude too far off the back of the gun.

As far as having to remove the rear sight, I'm not sure why Ruger told the OP that this was necessary. The only thing I can think of is maybe different models use different height sights.
With my Hunter model I am fully able to utilize the iron sights with the base installed and with the Warne rings can quickly mount or remove the optic depending on whether I'm plinking or hunting.

Last edited by Luvthemtorts; 02-03-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes I have used that rail both ways , with rear sight on or removed, pretty cool how ruger made it that way 😁
Old 02-04-2017, 12:31 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I pm'd SGW to ask if the Ruger picatinny rail obstructs the iron sights, and he confirmed, it did... I have also asked Ruger previously if it did, and I was told obstructs the iron sights, though you don't need to remove the ear sight.

Here is mine with a Weigand base, and an AIM sports 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief scope, be aware the Weigand is a Weaver not Picatinny, but it does not obscure the iron sights.

Last edited by xdm9mm; 02-04-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:53 AM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
I pm'd SGW to ask if the Ruger picatinny rail obstructs the iron sights, and he confirmed, it did... I have also asked Ruger previously if it did, and I was told obstructs the iron sights, though you don't need to remove the ear sight.

Here is mine with a Weigand base, and an AIM sports 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief scope, be aware the Weigand is a Weaver not Picatinny, but it does not obscure the iron sights.

Mine must be magic then because the iron sights work just fine with the Ruger picatinny rail. Wonder if that makes it worth more ?
I also PM'd SGW yesterday after reading his post to let him know the combination works on my particular gun. I'm hoping someone can eventually clear up why there seems to be so much confusion about this matter since mine surely can't be the only one that it works this way on.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Mk IV and the Mk III 22/45 lite. The Ruger rail is interchangeable between the two and mounts either in front of the rear sight or can be turned 180 degrees and mounted by removing the rear sight. The factory sights on these pistols are identical and can can be used with the rail installed.

I have no idea why Ruger or SWG would say that the iron sights can't be used with the rail installed unless it is in the way on some of the other models of these guns. It certainly isn't on the two models I have.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
I have the Mk IV and the Mk III 22/45 lite. The Ruger rail is interchangeable between the two and mounts either in front of the rear sight or can be turned 180 degrees and mounted by removing the rear sight. The factory sights on these pistols are identical and can can be used with the rail installed.

I have no idea why Ruger or SWG would say that the iron sights can't be used with the rail installed unless it is in the way on some of the other models of these guns. It certainly isn't on the two models I have.
Yes 100%correct

Note : I only am talking about 22/45 lite
Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
A significant difference.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Canucky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When did Ruger change their rails from weaver style?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:52 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
When did Ruger change their rails from weaver style?
Not sure if this ~~NEW~~ type is to replace any others, so it may be something in "addition" to what is being offered.

It has been reported that Ruger is not enclosing an optics rail with the Ruger Mark IV pistols. That seems strange given the cost involved with this new offering.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:15 PM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Mark 4 Lite's are coming with one. Matter of fact it came installed, and I could use my iron sights untill I found the reflex sight I could live with for now.