Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:16 PM
omnicitadel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
00xxx model 37 inherited

Greetings all! This is my first post, I recently (4 years ago) inherited a Model 37 from my grandfather which was adjoined by many other centerfire rifles which gathered my attention more than the humble 22 missing scope/sights.

However, as my kid is getting older I thought it might be worth throwing a scope on the 22 and taking him to the range. After researching this site, I have discovered that the Model 37 is quite the range rifle and likely will help me work on my marksmanship which used to be exceptional until I started shooting a 300 WM. I was able to find a BKL scope mount which will offset over the chamber, much thanks for to the information on this site, however, what is up with the crappy Photobucket pictures, everyone is blurry and worthless?

This particular rifle has some wear on it but in general, is exceptional aside from being put away dirty 30 years ago. I would be remiss if I did mention who it came from, It came from my grandfather who enlisted as a private shortly after World War 2 (they would not let him in prior due to strict eyesight requirements). He served in the Army for some time before becoming a Drill Sargent where it was discovered that his skill in marksmanship was equally matched with his ability to train others to match his skill level.

Quickly he was in charge of the Army shooting team attending matches all over the eastern seaboard and he himself would compete in 800 and 1000 yards. Nearly every firearm of his has a very interesting story, except this one, no one knows much about it... But most of the firearms he had were gifts from other marksmen he knew.

Unfortunately, it does not have a date stamp on the right side of the barrel, but the serial number is 006xx which I believe makes it quite early in the production date.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 AM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I own a decent number of Winchester 52s and Remington 37s. The 37s are my favorite for a variety of reasons; what I perceive as superior milling (trigger guard, magazine, etc) and their scarcity (I believe about 12000 made vs several hundred thousand 52s). Functionally/accuracy, is the subject of endless debate and I can offer nothing else to the dialogue. I shoot informally on my own range, at 100 yards, and open sights. I never post my targets for a reason. The 37 had several stock variations and it would be worth while knowing what you have. that can likely be determined by date. The Remington is not dated by serial number, but rather barrel code. look at the various marks on your barrel just in front of the receiver. you can look up a rem dating table on-line and get your month/year of manufacture. hold on to that 37! there's nothing made today that comes close to comparing.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Citation

I believe a bit over 125,000 model 52s of all variations were made between about 1919 and 1979. --Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 04:19 PM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Palman View Post
I believe a bit over 125,000 model 52s of all variations were made between about 1919 and 1979. --Greg
thanks as always greg, and about 12,000 37's?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:43 AM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citation View Post
about 12,000 37's?
That is correct.

BRP
Old 11-22-2019, 03:43 PM
citation