40X questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Rimfire40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
40X questions

I recently bought a 40X, it is CMP issue, came with redfield olympic rear sights and some sort of front sight (anchutz?).

I am trying to determine the date of manufacture but would like someone used at looking at the date codes to take a look. I attach a picture. It looks like WBM5 though I'm not sure if the 3rd letter is an M or a symbol of some sort.

Is it the WB that gives the year and date of manufacture? From the tables I have seen, W=August but B could be 1933, 1955 or 1981.

If it is the BM part, then the date of manufacture would be January 1965.

Picture of left side of barrel:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/5P95E7

What is the correct way to read the barrel code?

Another question is regarding ammunition. I currently only have plinking ammo and the one that shot best is CCI Standard Velocity. I attach a picture of a 10 shot group at 50 yards.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/95EC05

There is such a wide range of higher-end ammo available for 22lr. Is there any particular brand, or specific ammo that tends to shoot very well in the 40X? Or is it just try'em all and see what works best?

What kind of improvement in accuracy can I expect to see with match ammo?

Lastly, what is the value of a 40XB with redfield olympic sights? The action and barrel are great condition, the stock has some dings + a small crack at the very front of the stock. In addition to the iron sights it also has dovetail mounts for the older style long scopes.

Last edited by Rimfire40; 11-02-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:08 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (55)
If the serial number ends in B it was produced from 1964-74 on the 700 action with swept back checkered bolt handle.

If no B and straight bolt handle with round knob then 1955-1963 on a 722 action.

In good condition with sights probably $1200.

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 11-02-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Welcome to RFC! I can't open your group shot pic. My guess is you need to make them public. Don't waste below average ammo on an excellent target rifle. Testing ammo means you need to buy a couple boxes of all the high end stuf. The reason it costs more is because of quality control. Most serious shooters will test the following ammo:
Eley Tenex (red box)
Lapua X-Act
RWS R-50
Federal Ultra Match Gold Metal

Once the best ammo is determined, serious shooters will test different lots of the same ammo to dial in what lot numbers shot best and then buy a large quantity of that lot number.

Most 40-X guns will shoot 5 shot groups in the 2's with a proper bench rest set up, favorable conditions and a veteran shooter.

Last edited by VertFish; 11-02-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2020, 08:38 AM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Welcome to RFC ! Congratulations on getting a Remington 40X

I have 5 40X's and all are outstanding rifles. Three have the standard barrels, one heavy barrel all based on the 722 and one with a custom barrel based on the 700 action. I use Eley Match and Lapua Center-X in mine and I am well satisfied with the results. Lot testing helps a lot. I shoot some scoped and with the iron sights.

The 40X was a great choice on your part. It's a great rifle to begin with and is easily to upgrade. Stocks, triggers, easy to mount bases and optics or much better iron sights. Get some A-23/5 iron sight targets and teach yourself how to shoot. Once you get the hang of the irons, you will wonder why anyone would want to scope a rifle.

To the what it's worth, depends on condition. Rarely see one for less than a 1000 with most going in the 1200-1500 range. The last one I sold went for 1600, but it had a upgrade trigger, stock was bedded and was a known good shooting rifle.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Rimfire40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
If the serial number ends in B it was produced from 1964-74 on the 700 action with swept back checkered bolt handle.

If no B and straight bolt handle with round knob then 1955-1963 on a 72 action.

In good condition with sights probably $1200.
Thanks, the serial number ends in a B so most probably January 1965 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
Welcome to RFC! I can't open your group shot pic. My guess is you need to make them public. Don't waste below average ammo on an excellent target rifle. Testing ammo means you need to buy a couple boxes of all the high end stuf. The reason it costs more is because of quality control. Most serious shooters will test the following ammo:
Eley Tenex (red box)
Lapua X-Act
RWS R-50
Federal Ultra Match Gold Metal

Once the best ammo is determined, serious shooters will test different lots of the same ammo to dial in what lot numbers shot best and then buy a large quantity of that lot number.
Thanks, will try those out. If I find one that works better than the others, is it likely that other lots of the same ammo will also work well? Or can the lot differences be so large that it could go from shooting great to not so well with a different lot? If so, how do you typically go about ensuring you can source more from a specific lot? Are there places where you can order small quantities and then go back and order more from the same lot?

I fixed the link to the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52DH&R12 View Post
Welcome to RFC ! Congratulations on getting a Remington 40X

To the what it's worth, depends on condition. Rarely see one for less than a 1000 with most going in the 1200-1500 range. The last one I sold went for 1600, but it had a upgrade trigger, stock was bedded and was a known good shooting rifle.
Thanks. I got it under 1000 so sounds like it was reasonable.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:59 PM
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feeding a fine rifle like yours and mine anything but the best match ammo will get you results consistent with burning diesel in a Ferrari.
Testing ammo that your rifle really likes will take some time.
I won some XAct at one of our annual shoots. There were five prizes of 200 rounds each and every rifle at our next shoot that tried this ammo literally "puked". Sometimes money does not buy accuracy.
Good luck and cherish your rifle.

November 3: I agree with Vert Fish except I bought $150 worth of ammo that my supplier had sufficient amounts for case lot purchases.
My testing target has five targets and ten shots are fired at each target always in the same sequence and all starting with a clean dry-patched barrel.
Shot over wind flags at 50 and 100 yards. One box for each test distance. Luckily the best shot best at both distances. The poorest was also the poorest performer at both distances.
With the intent of shooting the entire box, some of the lots were abandoned early . . . an "X" on the box signifies fouler ammo.
One must be extremely critical. Calling one a flyer may prove to be a warning that there are flyers in that lot.
Don't expect your supplier to hold a case lot much beyond two weeks . . . other are also testing and what your rifle likes might also be good in many other rifles.

With Eley ammo, there are 30 to 35 thousand rounds in a lot. With one case broken for testing there are perhaps six cases left. Your call!

Last edited by horseman2; 11-03-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:39 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on your new to you rifle. I bought one back in the spring with a 24X Unertl. Mine shoots SK Std. Plus well but shoots Center-X very well. My 52E is the only rifle I own that will out shoot it.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
When it comes to ammo preference, there are many factors that make it impossible to definitively answer your questions. I have seen my best ammo in 85 degree weather shoot badly in 60 degrees and other ammos shoot way better in the cooler weather. Iíve had some lots of red box that were terrible and others fantastic. Many supply houses will sell you mixed lot numbers. The key is quickly evaluating them and buying the best in your gun while they still have several bricks (or more) left. The bottom line is spend $300-$400 on a bunch of ammo and shoot one target for each brand and lot number. Shoot groups of 5 shots per target. Use a target with a separate point of aim and bullseye. Or set your gun up to shoot low at your point of aim. Keep track of your results and then go ammo shopping.