New Mark XXII - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 PM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Got the rifle back yesterday from Weatherby. Cycles live ammunition now with no problem. Popped the scope back on and back yard test fired it at 21 yds with CB Long ammo to get the scope close. Off to the range soon.

Thanks all for the helpful hints!
Fired several ammo brands last week with the MK XXII at 60 yards. Shot all over the place within 2 inches of the center. Thought it was my shooting until I put my Kimber 22 Classic on the rest and was clipping holes with 5 shot groups. I've read the MK XXII needs massive amounts of ammo shot through it before the groups settle down, so I'll wait until I've fired a few thousand rounds before making any final judgements.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Sorry to hear of all your troubles with the rifle. Good luck with it. Hopefully it will settle down in the accuracy department. I hope them reaming the chamber to a larger sport chamber didn't hurt it too much. But there are a lot of sport chambered rifles out there that are very accurate.

I haven't shot mine since my last post. I will probably be selling it tomorrow. A friend's dad just got one and want's to keep his NIB. He wants another to hunt with. The one I have would do fine for hunting, so it's probably going to another home tomorrow.

It's a shame as it really is the most beautiful rifle I own, but I don't like having to do a bunch of stuff to hopefully get a rifle to shoot to my liking. I didn't expect benchrest accuracy, but it can't hang with my CZ American I got in January so I really have no need for it anymore. I just wanted a backup Silhouette rifle, and really thought I'd hit the jackpot with its looks and the fact it has an Anschutz barreled action... oh well.

Again, good luck with yours... hope it works for you.

Kenny
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The Weatherby is an Anschutz through and through. No Anschutz that I have ever heard of needed to be broken in.

You may find that in order to cycle live ammunition you lost the accuracy. The only way that Weatherby could have "fixed" your issue with extracting live ammo was to open the chamber with a larger sporter chamber. A few thousand rounds isn't going to change anything. You lost the match chamber.

Did Weatherby give you details on what they did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Wanted to update something. I think I found the problem with my Mark XXII. Took it for one last fling. Almost sold it a few weeks ago, but the guy wanted me to give it to him.

Stuck a scope on it and started playing with everything I could think of to get it to shoot. Started the same as always, 3 or 4 either on top of each other or very close to it. Then 1 or 2 off by themselves. Was using just wolf, Sk+ and Sk rifle match as I was tweaking everything. Nothing was working as usual. Had tried putting bike tubing under different parts of the action, barrel, etc before. Tried it again. But this time really played with the action screw torque. I've done this before but never in 2 lb increments. Tried tightening the front then rear, the rear then front, tighter on one, looser on the other,etc.

I think I nailed it. It's in the inletting around the action. It needs bedding badly. There is a very small window of action screw torque, in conjunction with placing a piece of rubber just where the barrel meets the action. I had done this before, but never went this in depth with the action screw torque. It shot the first one hole group of it's life. It's not a 0.0 group, but it's pretty nice. The last three groups I shot, each one tightened up more than the previous one. They are the three tightest groups it's ever fired.

Trouble is, by this time, I had used everything else and was on the Lapua Midas +. Am taking it again the next range day and start over with the cheaper ammo to see if this setting works with all of them. Hopefully it will group decent with something decently priced, if not, it's going to be an expensive date.

It took me almost 2 hours of playing, but for once it actually shot like an Anschutz.

Fingers crossed for it to be right...

If so, it's getting bedded. I should have done it when I wanted to at first, but kept putting it off.

Kenny
Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Good to hear you're solving the mystery.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
NewfoundlandLaw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is great to hear. My XXII is one of my all time favourites. Let us know about your ongoing improvements!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Thanks guys. I was bummed over this rifle.

As mentioned, this rifle was a whim purchase. I think it's one of the most beautiful rifles I own. It fits me perfect, handles like a dream, and looks like something out of the movies.

But, it's never been as accurate as even my CZs, which cost much less than this. I'm fine with looks, but if a rifle isn't as accurate as my expectations, it can be a bummer.

Was so bummed the last time I shot it, I took the scope off, cleaned it and put it in the back of the safe. Hasn't been out since.

But, decided I'll either figure it out, or sell it dirt cheap. Hate to do the ladder... I'll play with it some more to make sure of what I'm seeing, and if it's the problem I'll bed it. If not, I may just give up and sell it to someone who can enjoy it. No matter how nice the rifle looks, I don't like to shoot rifles that aren't accurate. Have too many that shoot great to mess with something that doesn't.

Now, that being said, it's not a dog. But it's not what I expected from an Anschutz barreled action rifle.

Will update after next range trip.

Kenny
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 PM
NIB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also glad to hear your getting some excellent results. So from your description I'm wondering how much support the action is receiving? There's some sort of marker I think some specially made or maybe some chalk rubbed near the lower half of action/barrel junction area (on the stock in-letting) and then seeing what would transfer to the metal? (Only a thought). Curious if such a transfer of marking material would differ from a gun that was a shooter from the start? Sounds like it would from the results you got by supporting this area better.

The one hole group sounds impressive.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Also glad to hear your getting some excellent results. So from your description I'm wondering how much support the action is receiving? There's some sort of marker I think some specially made or maybe some chalk rubbed near the lower half of action/barrel junction area (on the stock in-letting) and then seeing what would transfer to the metal? (Only a thought). Curious if such a transfer of marking material would differ from a gun that was a shooter from the start? Sounds like it would from the results you got by supporting this area better.

The one hole group sounds impressive.
Yeah, I'm thinking about ordering some from Brownells with my next order. It would give me a start on seeing what's touching, what's not, etc.

Thanks but when I said one one, I didn't mean a perfect 5 shot group. I meant 5 shots very close to form a one hole group. I'm not that good a shot to shoot all 5 into the same hole...

But it has shown progress. We'll see.

Kenny
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking about ordering some from Brownells with my next order. It would give me a start on seeing what's touching, what's not, etc.

Thanks but when I said one one, I didn't mean a perfect 5 shot group. I meant 5 shots very close to form a one hole group. I'm not that good a shot to shoot all 5 into the same hole...

But it has shown progress. We'll see.

Kenny
Nothing wrong with that!

I remembered I sent one back because a smith said the gun was in-letted too much. When the screws were properly tightened the action would teeter-totter in the stock when you moved the muzzle up and down.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I got it, I got it!!!!! Yippeee!

Finally got this thing figured out. The problems are in the action area. It needs bedding badly, but got it to where it actually is fun to shoot.

Shot 36 five shot groups this morning with a few different ammo types and a little more tweaking. The action screw torque being a pound or two off can throw them everywhere. But I found the sweet spots and added a little more rubber tubing in front of the action. It's not one hole accurate but the largest group I shot was just under 7/8 inch. The smallest is 5/16. This includes all groups shot while adjusting things. It really settled down once I got the right amount of rubber under the rear of the barrel and the action screws just right.

It averaged right at 1/2 inch over the last 6 groups with SK pistol match, which it seems to like more than Wolf MT and SK Rifle Match. Never got to shoot anything better than that. But I will...

Am going to try again with Eley ammo to see what it would do with that. It should do pretty well as all of my rifles like Eley ammo better than the Wolf, SK and Lapua stuff. Don't know why, but just seems that way. Don't know if I'll bed it or sell it, but at least I know it can shoot. It really is pretty, and now it's as accurate as my CZ American that I got to replace it.

Thanks for all the help... I'm pretty happy this evening.

Got a Mossberg 144LSB that has been a pain finally straightened out, got this figured out and got to shoot my Model 3 and 4 Brno (they didn't need anything done to make them shoot)... Not too bad of a day if you ask me.

Kenny
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They sure are nice looking guns I think that makes us all want to see them perform as good as they look!
As well they should being Anschutz's.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:13 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mark XXII

I've owned the Mark XXII bolt action rifle since 2009. The accuracy is bad. At first I thought it was me until I switched to my Kimber 22. My Weatherby is a beautiful rifle, but the truth of it is that I don't even want it in my gun safe anymore. It's been sitting in there for years and is one of the most beautiful guns I own. I don't know what is wrong with it, but I'm about ready to just send it back to Kimber. I see that they don't even sell a .22 anymore. I doubt that I'll ever shoot it again.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:57 AM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whats the test target look like?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:25 AM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Whats the test target look like?
Good question. I'll find the box and the test target today and give the results.