New Mark XXII - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Or possibly change the ammo you are using. CCI cartridges run tight in a lot of guns so if you are using anything from CCI you will almost certainly run into this issue. Maybe something else would be just as accurate and not cause any issues with live round extraction.

I really like the Winchester Subsonic for hunting. Super quiet and big hollow-point. I'll have to check those in my Weatherby and see if I can extract live rounds.

What ammo have you tried?
My general hunting/plinking ammo, Winchester Super-X. Works just fine in my other rifles. Pushing the bullet gas seal into the rifling lands is understandable for match guns, but this rifle is marketed by Weatherby as a hunting rifle. Unfired rounds should be extracted in the field without the use of a cleaning rod.

Last edited by johnbe; 12-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I just went and loaded two magazines up with the Winchester Subsonic rounds and not one of them stuck in the chamber when extracting.

You might want to see if you can find some of these locally. They are fantastic hunting rounds. Quiet and deadly. Oh... and they are accurate.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just went and loaded two magazines up with the Winchester Subsonic rounds and not one of them stuck in the chamber when extracting.

You might want to see if you can find some of these locally. They are fantastic hunting rounds. Quiet and deadly. Oh... and they are accurate.
Sounds similar to my CCI 22 CB Longs. Quiet and great for yard work. I'll try the Subsonics when I get the rifle back from Weatherby. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Right on. Hope it works out for ya!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Beautiful rifle. I picked up my new mark XXII a little over a week ago. Put a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope on it and dead centered it for yard work at 20 yards. The gun doesn't like to extract unfired rounds. Does just fine with empties, but tends to leave the unfired cartriges in the chamber. They have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Took it back to my dealer 2 days ago for a return to the factory for repair. They said they'd call me when it gets back. Cost me $25 for shipping.
Weatherby called to tell me that the rifle will work better with some ammos than others. Some will stick others don't. So I need to try different ammos to find the ones that don't get stuck when extracting live rounds. I think my Winchester Super-X ammo is too long for the chamber. Any ammo recommendations?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Weatherby called to tell me that the rifle will work better with some ammos than others. Some will stick others don't. So I need to try different ammos to find the ones that don't get stuck when extracting live rounds. I think my Winchester Super-X ammo is too long for the chamber. Any ammo recommendations?
Tested the cycling of Fiocchi, Remington Target Rifle, Remington Viper, Remington Game Loads, RWS Subsonic HP, and Federal Game Shock.

The ammos that ejected flawlessly were Remington Target Rifle and the RWS. Both of these are lead bullets. The rounds that jammed were all copper clad.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Tested the cycling of Fiocchi, Remington Target Rifle, Remington Viper, Remington Game Loads, RWS Subsonic HP, and Federal Game Shock.

The ammos that ejected flawlessly were Remington Target Rifle and the RWS. Both of these are lead bullets. The rounds that jammed were all copper clad.
Sounds like you're making progress. I don't shoot much, if any, copper washed bullets in most of my rimfires. If this is going to be used for hunting, try some of the RWS and SK subsonic hollow points. Both of these do great in all of my guns. Got them originally for hunting but then stumbled into an HM2. I'll never use the 22LR again for squirrels. I've been shooting all the sub hp ammo up and am really surprised how accurate they shoot. Both hang pretty close to the regular SK and RWS target ammo.

Anyway, try some. If they work as far as extraction, they should do great for you for a hunting round.

Keep us updated.

Merry Christmas,

Kenny
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:

The RWS Subsonic is a wicked hunting round. That, and the Winchester Subsonic are my goto squirrel and rabbit rounds. They are both very accurate and heavy hitting.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Weatherby says the gun is designed to behave this way. Also it seems to be recognized that this is a match grade gun and match grade chambers are picky about ammo. Some will stick when extracting live rounds from the chamber. My only choice here is learn what ammo works in this rifle or say adios to it. I can see that if a person wants a rifle that will shoot all brands of 22 LR ammo, this isn't the gun. Aside from the ammo issue, the rifle is a fine gun.

Last edited by johnbe; 12-30-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Weatherby says the gun is designed to behave this way. Also it seems to be recognized that this is a match grade gun and match grade chambers are picky about ammo. Some will stick when extracting live rounds from the chamber. My only choice here is learn what ammo works in this rifle or say adios to it. I can see that if a person wants a rifle that will shoot all brands of 22 LR ammo, this isn't the gun. Aside from the ammo issue, the rifle is a fine gun.
So far I've tested 12 different boxes of ammo, including ammo recommended in this blog and they all stick. Not every round, but occasionally isn't acceptable. I don't shoot in matches. I hunt and target shoot. Weatherby promotes this rifle for both sports. Both sports require the unloading of live ammunition. Can you imagine a range officer shouting cease fire, clear your weapons, then having to fire one more round when you discover the bolt won't extract the live cartridge?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
So far I've tested 12 different boxes of ammo, including ammo recommended in this blog and they all stick. Not every round, but occasionally isn't acceptable. I don't shoot in matches. I hunt and target shoot. Weatherby promotes this rifle for both sports. Both sports require the unloading of live ammunition. Can you imagine a range officer shouting cease fire, clear your weapons, then having to fire one more round when you discover the bolt won't extract the live cartridge?
This actually happens more than you'd think. Jams, stuck cartridges... etc, it's all happened on the line and something fairly often. A cleaning rod down the barrel fixes the issue in two seconds.

It sounds like there is only one way to make this rifle work for you... have the chamber reamed with more of a sporting chamber. Find a local smith that has a sporter reamer (there are hundreds of different reamers out there). Shouldn't cost very much at all as long as the 'smith has a reamer on hand.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
This actually happens more than you'd think. Jams, stuck cartridges... etc, it's all happened on the line and something fairly often. A cleaning rod down the barrel fixes the issue in two seconds.

It sounds like there is only one way to make this rifle work for you... have the chamber reamed with more of a sporting chamber. Find a local smith that has a sporter reamer (there are hundreds of different reamers out there). Shouldn't cost very much at all as long as the 'smith has a reamer on hand.
Thank you. I'll look in my are area for a gunsmith with a reamer.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Had a 3rd discussion about this with a Weatherby service rep that told me ammo should never stick. They wanted to take another look at the rifle so I sent it back down to them again. Should have it back in about 3 weeks or so. In the mean time, I always have my Winchester 9422. Most reliable 22 repeater I've ever owned. Not a tack driver, but I've never ever had a functional problem with my 9422.

02/08/11 update: The Weatherby Service Center will ream the chamber to handle all 22LR ammo. They told me the accuracy of the rifle will be affected by this reaming modification. It's funny, my Kimber 22 Classic will shoot a tighter group than the Weatherby when comparing the test groups included with the rifles, but ammo only sticks in the Weatherby.

Last edited by johnbe; 02-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Many rifles with sporting chambers will shoot well and I am sure yours will do great.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Many rifles with sporting chambers will shoot well and I am sure yours will do great.
Got the rifle back yesterday from Weatherby. Cycles live ammunition now with no problem. Popped the scope back on and back yard test fired it at 21 yds with CB Long ammo to get the scope close. Off to the range soon.

Thanks all for the helpful hints!