Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM
sakopete
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Thanks for the kind words Kenny. Jim and I both gobble down steak any chance we get.
Pete
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM
chatcher
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
...took the extractors out and filed them down a little to fix the ejection problem....

...The ejection is fixed... no problems with spent casings, they all go right...
Can you elaborate a little on your extractor mods, or point me to more information somewhere? I am a new XXII owner and just in the past couple of days I have read threads with at least five different ways of going after the ejection problem and don't want to pick the wrong one. Some say to take material off the rear and some say the front. To me it seems like the way to go would be to shape the front of the left side "extractor" so it releases first to kick the case to the right. But I'm no expert. Mine ejects pretty much straight up so far.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Bobw703
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kenny - I also have the dreaded Weatherby ejecting problem. I have read the posting that mentions removing a few thousandths from the rear of the right side extractor, creating more spacing off the bolt face. Is that the method you employed, and if so, how much material did you remove? I really want to get the rifle to kick out the casings consistently to the right, rather than most anywhere it feels like. Thanks in advance -
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Here's a link to what I posted in another thread. This was when I was trying to fix my 1712's ejection problems. It worked for me on that rifle and this new one too. The bolts are different between the rifles, but the extractors are the same.

You can read through this thread and there's several others in that forum that cover the same thing. Post number 8 is the one where I posted links showing pretty much what I did.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ction+problems

Hope this helps you. I'm not the one who came up with the idea, but it does work. At least on my rifles.

Kenny
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful rifle. I picked up my new mark XXII a little over a week ago. Put a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope on it and dead centered it for yard work at 20 yards. The gun doesn't like to extract unfired rounds. Does just fine with empties, but tends to leave the unfired cartriges in the chamber. They have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Took it back to my dealer 2 days ago for a return to the factory for repair. They said they'd call me when it gets back. Cost me $25 for shipping.

Last edited by johnbe; 11-07-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
kseatm,

I've been using my XXII in silhouette for most of this year. It is like a laser for me. In matches I use RWS Target Rifle. In practice I use a variety of ammo. CCI Standard works real well for me as a practice ammo.

RWS Target Rifle shoots at about 3/4" at a hundred yards for me off the bench with a 24x Leopold. If you can find some of this ammo, give it a try.

These are shot at 100 yards. That last one is with Wolf MT and was at 109 yards. If I hadn't dropped that low shot it would have been a super nice group.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you have 1712, why are you mess'n with a 64 action for silhouette? Just for fun?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
If you have 1712, why are you mess'n with a 64 action for silhouette? Just for fun?

That's a question I've been asking myself all the time since I got this thing. It was an impulse by. I stopped by a gunshop to pick up a Brno Model 3 I ordered from Denny. I then went over to another gun shop just to look around. I found an old Volstok CM2 that was beat to heck. Since it was drilled and tapped, plus not well taken care of, the guy sold it to me at a pretty good price. I got it just for a refinish project.

As I was filling out the paperwork, I saw the XXII on the wall and asked about it. I love the looks of the gun, and it really is light and fits me well. I thought, what the heck. So I got it.

I thought since it was lighter and seemed to fit me a little better than my Annie, I'd give it a go at a match. But beforehand, between the ejection and trying to get something to shoot decent, I just put it back and used the 1712.

I love my 1712. It's like you mentioned, a laser. I don't mean just some of the time either, it just shoots. But, I guess I'm just curious how the XXII would do in a match. I'll get it straight and try it out once or twice this summer but if it doesn't do what I want, I'll stick it in the back of the safe and stay with the 1712.

Honestly, I think all of my CZs are more accurate than it is. But, it's getting there. I've just gotten some of the RWS 50 to try in it. I've shot the Target Rifle and Rife Match with terrible results. I think the bricks of those two must be bad lots though. I haven't found but 1 gun that would shoot any of them halfway decent... and it's the most inaccurate rimfire I own. Even my 1712 hates the stuff, and that thing could shoot gravels accurately. I just picked up a few boxes of the RWS Match and Rifle Match to try again. Maybe it really was just some bad lots, we'll see.

I guess I just like to try different guns. It's to the point now that when I go to the range, I take 6 or 7 and shoot from daylight until my sons get home from school. Then a few days later, I take different ones and do it again. Starting this spring, I'm going to be shooting with a gang of guys every Sunday evening too. It's kind of nice only having to work a couple of days a week!

It really is fun, as I've never been much on target shooting until the last 2 years. Heck, I'd never been on a range other than while in the Military until the last couple of years. Now, I'm trying to shoot at every range or event I can find.

Have a good day,

Kenny
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Paper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guys,
I tried a bunch of ammo and found my xxII really loves Winchester 40grhp Power Point.. At 50' it just keeps making the first shot hole a touch bigger with each following shot.

I shot a 98 out of 100 in Standing Slow Fire in my first CMP Rimfire Sporter Match. It's a shooting rifle, for sure!!

Oh, and at 50' I started out the match with the scope at the highest allowed magnification, at 6x... Everything was a bit fuzzy and halfway through the match my scores increased greatly after figuring out that I could actually see the target clearly when I took it down to 4x..

My standing scores were better than my prone scores, because of this..

Next time... GOLD!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 AM
zywina

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the picture of your Yellow Lab! Thay made the whole photo for me, cheers DaleZ ,great rifle!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 PM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Very Beautiful Rifle there!!!

I have always wanted a Weatherby bolt action because of the finish and the stock shape and beauty.

Before I got on this website, I never realized that these XXII's were made by Anschutz for Weatherby.

I have a 1416 DHB that I just got in a trade, and I haven't got to even shoot it yet... No money for a scope yet... but I am working on that...

I am bitting at the bit!!!

I also am hoping that I don't have the ejection issues with my gun, but, it looks like it is a high possibility...

At lease I can thank you and others for showing me how to fix this problem!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
live cartridge extraction

Shipped my XXII back to the factory 3 weeks ago because it wouldn't extract live cartridges. If I had to do it again, I would have asked my dealer to check this function before I took possession in the first place. You can be sure that's what I'll do when they call me to tell me it's back and ready to be picked up again.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Shipped my XXII back to the factory 3 weeks ago because it wouldn't extract live cartridges. If I had to do it again, I would have asked my dealer to check this function before I took possession in the first place. You can be sure that's what I'll do when they call me to tell me it's back and ready to be picked up again.
Most match grade chambers won't extract live rounds. It is because they are tighter than your typical factory chambers. The Weatherby XXII is an Anschutz 64 "Match" action. There may even be a disclaimer in your paperwork that came with your rifle warning that it may not extract live rounds.

It's a good thing for accuracy, but maybe not be the best for a hunting gun. I've paid extra for match chambers... but I've never sent one back because of it.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
Most match grade chambers won't extract live rounds. It is because they are tighter than your typical factory chambers. The Weatherby XXII is an Anschutz 64 "Match" action. There may even be a disclaimer in your paperwork that came with your rifle warning that it may not extract live rounds.

It's a good thing for accuracy, but maybe not be the best for a hunting gun. I've paid extra for match chambers... but I've never sent one back because of it.
Thanks for the education. No disclaimer was provided. I'll run this by my dealer. Maybe there is no problem with the rifle and I just need to adjust to the way it behaves. It's possible that I might need a different rifle for target and field.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Trent

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Thanks for the education. No disclaimer was provided. I'll run this by my dealer. Maybe there is no problem with the rifle and I just need to adjust to the way it behaves. It's possible that I might need a different rifle for target and field.
Or possibly change the ammo you are using. CCI cartridges run tight in a lot of guns so if you are using anything from CCI you will almost certainly run into this issue. Maybe something else would be just as accurate and not cause any issues with live round extraction.

I really like the Winchester Subsonic for hunting. Super quiet and big hollow-point. I'll have to check those in my Weatherby and see if I can extract live rounds.

What ammo have you tried?