Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM
misterfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 41 problem

About 4 weeks ago, I got a Model 41. Brand new. Before firing it, I took it home and field stripped it - per the manual - ran a brushless boresnake through the barrel, and oiled the spots that were indicated.
I did not make any adjustments - simply made sure there wasn't excess oil, and the bore was clean.

It doesn't always fire. The trigger doesn't always reset - whether the slide is activated by firing or racked by hand.
I have about 70 rounds through it: one box of CCI SV; 5 rounds of Remington HV (only 2 fired); 5 rounds of CCI mini mag (only 2 fired).
A friend who has had a model 41 for a number of years tried it with the same results I was getting.

I generally loaded only 5 rounds in the magazine, and the usual behavior was:
Maybe the first round would fire. If it did, maybe the second round would fire. If it didn't - manually rack the slide to eject the unfired cartridge.
There is no light rim strike visible on the unfired cartridges.
Continue this hit or miss behavior until the magazine is empty.

I had expected some break in issues as this is a 'tight' gun. But it is obvious the trigger is not consistently resetting and it isn't an ammo issue.

The gun shop sent it back to S&W.... Wish me luck.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
A friend and I bought two 41 PC models. Mine works flawlessly and his doesn`t. This surely isn`t acceptable for a pistol costing this much. S&W should step up their quality control, because the Ruger MK and Buckmark crowd at the range is laughing their a#@*s off at us.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:08 PM
TheoW
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You do have a complaint,but......

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
A friend and I bought two 41 PC models. Mine works flawlessly and his doesn`t. This surely isn`t acceptable for a pistol costing this much. S&W should step up their quality control, because the Ruger MK and Buckmark crowd at the range is laughing their a#@*s off at us.
you haven't contacted S&W as the first step to solving the problem. Did your buddy complain to the dealer who should bear some responsibility? The ribbing your range "friends" give you is meaningless. I wish you well....there are better solutions.

All the best, Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2019, 06:08 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have my new one at S&W also. It's been there a week and still has not been touched yet. They say it maybe three to four weeks till I get it back. Does not sound good for quality if they are that backed up.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:03 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
I'm really sorry that you are experiencing these issues with your new model 41 and I hope S & W get's it corrected for you quickly. As for your being laughed at by the Ruger MK and Buckmark crowd, I've got a feeling that once your model 41 has been fixed they won't be laughing for long.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
S&w has good repair service I was told they are in process of moving some things to different location I’m still waiting on a part I ordered but 41 is a great gun!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:11 PM
misterfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
S&w has good repair service I was told they are in process of moving some things to different location Im still waiting on a part I ordered but 41 is a great gun!
I hope you're right.

For how long they have made the Model 41 and what they cost - we shouldn't have any problems with them right out of the box.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you search here you will find that S&W quality and service on the Model 41 has seriously been lacking in the last few years. Guns returned for repair to come back marred. Long delays in getting the gun back. Multiple returns to get the gun right. This post is not the norm but the fact that any of this happens on such an expensive gun is not defendable. S&W is not the company it was in years past. The bean counters have control of it now, it seems.

In this particular case how could a gun get out of S&W with a trigger and feeding and firing problems? Did they not test fire it? Did anyone dry fire it to see if the trigger reset?

S&W in the past has gone through quality issue, usually after a change of ownership. I once long ago bought a S&W 41Mag revolver that operated with a gritty feel. When I opened it up, it had machine shop grit everywhere inside. They did not even clean it after machining it! A thorough cleaning removed the gritty feeling. I later bought a seven round 357 Mag S&W revolver....PERFECT out of the box...different time, different management! In still a different time I bought a Model 41 and it was perfect out of the box. In recent years S&W jacked up the pricing on the Model 41 and at that point it seems we got stories like the above more often (??). A recent purchase of the S&W M&P10 (AR10 version) was perfect.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend any S&W to anyone. It seems to be the luck of the draw for getting one without a problem. the service is spotty as well, it seems.

LDBennett
Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 AM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoW View Post
you haven't contacted S&W as the first step to solving the problem. Did your buddy complain to the dealer who should bear some responsibility? The ribbing your range "friends" give you is meaningless. I wish you well....there are better solutions.

All the best, Ted
You are right. Buy a Buckmark and spend the money you save on ammo.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:59 PM
BradH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new Smith and Wesson Model 41 about 2 months ago.

When I got it home, I gave it a cleaning and took it to the range. I started with CCI Standard Velocity and was pleasantly surprised when the first round hit the X ring. However, I was a little disappointed that it stovepiped and jammed. I shot several magazines through it but about 50% of the time I had a failure to eject, failure to feed, all sorts of feeding problems. The accuracy was very good, but the feeding and ejection problems were very irritating.

I did a little research online and found that some people had similar problems and they went away after a break in period. People also recommended shooting high velocity rounds through the gun during the break in period. So, I proceeded to shoot some Federal Auto Match through it for 600 rounds. I still had feeding and ejection issues but much less with the high velocity stuff.

I tried the CCI Standard Velocity and a few other Standard Velocity Target rounds again after the 600 rounds of Federal Auto Match. I still had the feeding and ejection problems.

So, after a little more research I found that people also had feeding and ejection problems when the chamber got dirty. I did not think that was the case for my gun because it had the problems right off the bat but I decided to look at the chamber anyway.

That is when I found what is in the picture below (if I attached it properly) There are several indentations and raised areas in the chamber. I believe that this is what is causing my issues.

The only things that I have put down the bore are bullets, an aluminum cleaning rod with a plastic or brass tip, cleaning patches, and a boresnake. None of these materials could cause this type of damage. I am assuming that a chip or a piece of the reamer broken off and stuck in the reaming operation and caused the gouging.
I sent the gun back to Smith and Wesson and it has been there for a month. I too have not heard anything back from them yet. Although our problems are different we are both dealing with S&W at the same time, with current mfg guns, so I thought I would share my experience with you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6127.jpg (492.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My theory is that S&W wants to drop the M-41 from the roster.
This might explain the nonsense going on.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:12 PM
misterfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think S&W wants to tarnish their name just to 'drop' the M41 from their product line...

Many manufacturers have dropped products without alienating some of their customers.

This is the first S&W product I have ever bought - if it gets fixed, them I'm OK with S&W.

If they are purposely producing crap - then there will be a fair number of folks who will never consider buying S&W, again.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:18 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have confidence that they will fix them. I sent in a new 617 6" they had it two weeks and came back working great. I have faith the 41's will be the same.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give S&W a chance to set it right. I agree, for what you pay for one of these today, it should be flawless in fit and function out of the box. Years ago, mine was. I own more than a few Ruger and High Standard .22s. For me the 41 still tops them all. I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM
misterfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 41 came back yesterday. My buddy at the range put about 200 rounds through it. There were some ejection failures and failures to feed, but, he said the trigger reset problem seemed to be fixed. He said the last 50 rounds of CCI SV were flawless

I ran about 120 rounds of CCI SV and Federal SV target through it later. The first 70 rounds were flawless.
Then I started getting feed issues. Bolt mostly cycles, but an empty case in the chamber... Or weak ejection and failure to feed. After brushing the chamber and a bore snake, it ran well for about 20 rounds, then got 'glitchy' again.

It had had over 300 rounds run - so I cleaned it when we got home....

Stay tuned.