Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
NULA .22LR Coming to Guard Hickories in KY

NULA Model 20, .22lr headed to central Kentucky. (my house).

A fine fellow north of here, responded to a WTB post I made here. I hope to have the rifle in hand by Tuesday next week.

This picture is from where the rifle is leaving.

I'll post my reactions to this rifle when I have my own experience.

I read enough in some places to cause me to want to buy one that is lightly used (and proven) instead of ordering. I hope reducing LOP (if needed) won't be tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NULA Rht.jpg (325.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Lucky you! I am looking forward to a lengthy thread about your new rifle. I have been tempted by those NULA's myself.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:14 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I picked up the NULA Model 20 LR from my FFL about an hour ago.

I really like this rifle!

I made some measurements since one of my big motivations for this rifle is light weight and I was hoping the LOP wouldn't be so long that I'd have to have it chopped.

I'm very pleased to report:
- LOP 13 1/8". (Fits me perfect)
- Weight w/o scope but with talley rings is 5.4 pounds (5# 6.4 ounces). 2-3 pounds lighter than many of my other rimfire.
- Stock is black (very dark grey).
- Barrel is stainless

I tried my Leupold 3-9 AO but the eye relief isn't long enough for the non-adjustable Talley base and rings. So I put a Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 scope on it. This scope is same length as little Leuopold and at least 1" longer eye-relief, but 3-4 ounces heavier.

Haven't shot it yet but I did put plastic drywall inserts in the chamber and tested the trigger. This is the first Jewell trigger I've ever tried. It is very nice! The magazine is nothing like I've ever seen before. It is tiny and fits absolutely flush. The magazine release is also quite different, just a little button nub you push and out drops the mag. Little engineering touches on this rifle that I've never seen before.

I received the test target with clover leaf groups at 50 yards. If it shoots for me and the loads I try, this will be my go-to squirrel rig.

I'll take more pictures and post when I shoot.

Last edited by bowwild; 11-25-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 04:43 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
More photos go over good around here. I'd like to see the magazine and also the release and the features you mentioned above. Rarely hear about NULA's around here.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 PM
construe24
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
NULA Model 20, .22lr headed to central Kentucky. (my house).

A fine fellow north of here, responded to a WTB post I made here. I hope to have the rifle in hand by Tuesday next week.

This picture is from where the rifle is leaving.

I'll post my reactions to this rifle when I have my own experience.

I read enough in some places to cause me to want to buy one that is lightly used (and proven) instead of ordering. I hope reducing LOP (if needed) won't be tough.
I purchased a new one in the late 90's and shot it for a number of years in smallbore silhouette. I finally sold it to TBR a member of this site. I believe he still owns it. Mine had a Timney trigger and it was the best single stage trigger I have ever used. Talley rings which were actually designed by NULA are very nice but they do not allow use of short tube scopes as you have discovered. It pretty much shot any ammo well although expensive target ammo was the best.
Good luck with your rifle.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Airedale

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice little rifle you have acquired, it will be a sweet carrying weapon for hunting. The Burris Timberline scopes have become a favorite for me, compact, high power with huge eye relief.

Al
Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Honestly never even heard of this company until I saw your post. Nice lineup of rifles. Very interested to see your shooting results and thoughts on build quality etc.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:33 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by construe24 View Post
I purchased a new one in the late 90's and shot it for a number of years in smallbore silhouette. I finally sold it to TBR a member of this site. I believe he still owns it. Mine had a Timney trigger and it was the best single stage trigger I have ever used. Talley rings which were actually designed by NULA are very nice but they do not allow use of short tube scopes as you have discovered. It pretty much shot any ammo well although expensive target ammo was the best.
Good luck with your rifle.
Still in the TBR herd and will likely remain. Completely US made one at a time by a true craftsman. I still say the rimfire NULAs are sleepers; they are half the price of Melvinís centerfire versions but likely cost the same to produce. As Construe24 points out, my rifle does not have the ďsuperiorĒ Jewell trigger, just the pedestrian Timney, but that trigger is very, very good, causing me to change my opinion about Timneys in general. I havenít had the oft-mentioned feeding issues ó it does seem the feeding is sometimes strange looking, but it has been 100 percent reliable ó and it shoots very well. Quite fortuitously, the stock matches perfectly another NULA barreled action I own, a rare.22 Hornet, allowing me to shoot the Hornet right after I bought the barreled action. And that stock is a work of lightweight art. I will always recommend any NULA product and highly recommend the rimfire. There are very few made, and Melvin is focusing on centerfires as he slows down.
Just sayiní
TBR
Old 11-28-2019, 03:57 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I’m used to stock triggers meaning, how they come from the maker (factory). So 3-5 pounds is my experience. in fact, to this day I still have a strong, and surely unfair bias against Savage rifles, due to a trigger on one my brother bought new in 1982. I’m sure the accutrigger these guns now sport are much better?

I consider myself a very safe firearms (and power tool) user . However this NULA surprised me twice a couple of days ago as I shot the first two mag loads. Of course I was on target as I touched the trigger, but have to admit I wasn’t “ ready” for the discharge.

I’ve never adjusted a trigger before, but I’ll you-tube my way to put a pound on this one. It must be under a pound right now. I also fear if I don’t increase it and just get used to it, I’ll ruin my touch with every other firearm I own.

Last edited by bowwild; 11-28-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:07 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just to be clear, I have not been so thrilled to own any rifle as much as I am this one!

It started right here on this forum. I first heard of NULA here and a WTB ad put me in touch with the fellow who sold it to me. The form and function are elegant, without glamor. No make-up required.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:56 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
2.5-3.5 pounds pull works just fine for me on a hunting or field carry rifle.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:54 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Iím used to stock triggers meaning, how they come from the maker (factory). So 3-5 pounds is my experience. in fact, to this day I still have a strong, and surely unfair bias against Savage rifles, due to a trigger on one my brother bought new in 1982. Iím sure the accutrigger these guns now sport are much better?

I consider myself a very safe firearms (and power tool) user . However this NULA surprised me twice a couple of days ago as I shot the first two mag loads. Of course I was on target as I touched the trigger, but have to admit I wasnít ď readyĒ for the discharge.

Iíve never adjusted a trigger before, but Iíll you-tube my way to put a pound on this one. It must be under a pound right now. I also fear if I donít increase it and just get used to it, Iíll ruin my touch with every other firearm I own.
I set all my squirrel rifles up at right about a pound. Grays donít give you much time to shoot and snap shooting is sometimes required. I never hunted with your gun, but Iím sure you will get to love the trigger. If you want a medium spring to increase the trigger weight, just let me know and I can send you one and a set of Jewel trigger adjustments.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:40 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks Mike!

Actually I sighted in the rifle yesterday, roughly at 25 yards. I didn’t have any issues. So, you are likely correct that I will probably grow prefer it.

I think I’ll simply shoot a couple hundred rounds and touch nothing.

Oh, one half a clover leaf hole while standing and bracing rifle on the back of a lawn chair at my daughters house.

Last edited by bowwild; 11-30-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talked to Mr.Forbes today. I’m sending payment for two magazines in the AM. $50 each.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM
different

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Talked to Mr.Forbes today. Iím sending payment for two magazines in the AM. $50 each.

That's very interesting to me. I wonder if the magazines for the NULA fit The ULA, which is what I own. I would assume they would, but maybe, unless someone here knows, I should talk to Melvin. I need more magazines.