Stock 10-22 accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock 10-22 accuracy

Can anyone tell me what accuracy at 25 and 50 can be expected from an out of the box stock carbine or a sporter with, let's say, a 3-9x40 scope? I am always having a conversation with someone about improving accuracy and heck I don't remember what a plain stock 10-22 shoots to tell them just how much you can improve with just a few mods. Thanks
Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Mine, open sighted, usually shoot 1-1.5" at 50 yards or so with their preferred ammunition. I usually shoot CCI SV, Mini-Mags, Blazers, Federal SV, Federal Automatch, and Federal 525. CCI SV shoots the best out of all of my 10/22's followed VERY closely by Blazers.

Once I put in a cheap Volquartsen hammer my shot groups drop significantly, 1/3 the size or so on average. A better trigger is the best thing you can get for it in terms of a cheap upgrade, and pay attention to torque for the action screw too. Easy mods like a drop in surestrike firing pin help prevent fliers, keeping your groups smaller. You really don't need to spend a whole lot to have a pretty darned good shooting little rifle.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:38 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
Mine, open sighted, usually shoot 1-1.5" at 50 yards or so with their preferred ammunition. I usually shoot CCI SV, Mini-Mags, Blazers, Federal SV, Federal Automatch, and Federal 525. CCI SV shoots the best out of all of my 10/22's followed VERY closely by Blazers.

Once I put in a cheap Volquartsen hammer my shot groups drop significantly, 1/3 the size or so on average. A better trigger is the best thing you can get for it in terms of a cheap upgrade, and pay attention to torque for the action screw too. Easy mods like a drop in surestrike firing pin help prevent fliers, keeping your groups smaller. You really don't need to spend a whole lot to have a pretty darned good shooting little rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 10:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stock 10-22 accuracy

Agreed, you don't have to do too much. Trigger's important and a little bedding will probably help. From what I've seen most of them with the right ammo
a good trigger and a stock barrel & stock will shoot better than a lot of the shooter's can hold.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:17 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Can anyone tell me what accuracy at 25 and 50 can be expected from an out of the box stock carbine or a sporter with, let's say, a 3-9x40 scope? I am always having a conversation with someone about improving accuracy and heck I don't remember what a plain stock 10-22 shoots to tell them just how much you can improve with just a few mods. Thanks
I bought a new 10/22 carbine two years ago. After the first year, I had Brimstone do a Tier 3 trigger job on it. It probably made a small difference in group sizes, but was much nicer to shoot with the improved trigger pull. Mine has a 2-7x28 scope. It averages 0.8" with CCI SV, 0.9" with Aguila SV & Geco, 1.0" with Tac 22 at 50 yards.

Oddly enough, the 25 yard group averages aren't all that much better. CCI SV & Tac 22 average 0.5", Aguila SV & Fed AutoMatch 0.6".
Old 11-27-2019, 01:35 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
this is a 'kind of' stock 10/22. it is a conglomeration of a bunch of stock parts i had laying around. it does have an $18 JWH hammer and some polish work on the stock sear. i also have a lower power recoil assembly in it to shoot standard velocity ammo. and the barrel is threaded. but it is otherwise a stock ruger action, carbine barrel, carbine stock, factory bolt. it typically shoots between 1/2"-1/3" at 25y with cci standard velocity. a little better with eley. it has a weaver rv9 on it.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:26 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Completely stock, mine usually shot in the .6s at 50 yards with a variety of ammo and a scope.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
At 25 yards with a scope you should get under .5" groups with any out of the box rimfire. Moving back to 50 it depends on the individual 10/22. There's ones that are capable of under .5" consistently. They may be few and far between but they're out there. IMO if I had to pick an average for OEM 10/22's I'd say around 1" @50 yards.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:08 PM
SilentAssassin1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mine is about an inch or more at 50 yds. not very good after seeing some of the 22's here. i think i am going to get another 22. a better 22
Old 11-27-2019, 02:34 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin1 View Post
mine is about an inch or more at 50 yds. not very good after seeing some of the 22's here. i think i am going to get another 22. a better 22
Mine shoots a few kinds of ammo at or just under 1" at 50 yards, and for whatever reason simply shoots Fed AM at 1.6" at that distance. As noted above, you should not expect a box stock 10/22 to have great accuracy; a few might, the much larger majority will not.

As far as getting another 22, I doubt anyone here will try to talk you out of that. Before going too far down that road, do more reading on RFC to get some idea of what interests you, and at least set a preliminary budget. Some of your fellow RFC members will try to talk you past that limit. Fair warning.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:25 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"As far as getting another 22, I doubt anyone here will try to talk you out of that. Before going too far down that road, do more reading on RFC to get some idea of what interests you, and at least set a preliminary budget. Some of your fellow RFC members will try to talk you past that limit. Fair warning"

This^^^ There is a lot of benchrest mentality around here! Nothing wrong with it other than very few of us need it including me. I am a perfect example of going too far. I built a squirrel gun that will shoot low fours with CCI SV off of a bench at 50 with a good shooter behind it. I've got close to a grand in it. Problem is in the field shooting offhand I'll do good if I can hold an inch at 35 yards.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GH41. I agree with your sentiments about a squirrel gun. I did the exact same thing. Now I have three of them. I don't bench shoot as that was never my intentions. I sometimes wonder if I should have stopped at a real good trigger and really good optics. However I must admit that In the woods I shoot better than I ever have and really and truly I know it is because of the rifle. When I miss, which is fairly often, I know that is me and not the gun. The gun will entirely shoot way better than I ever will.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:48 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
All good points, but also something to consider for squirrel rifles is weight. The lightness of a carbine is great for some, but bad for others. My hands are very shaky, so a heavier barrel is beneficial in keeping me steady in the field for better shots. I don't hunt anymore but if I were to, the heavier the better and often an aftermarket barrel is the cheapest and most effective way to add weight for stability for offhand shots IMO. Just something to chew on.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 PM
pdmike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the two 10/22's I've owned, the average 50-yard 5-shot group was right at 1.25" with the ammo each one liked best. Pretty disappointing. That's why I put new barrels on both of them. This was when I was still learning that Ruger does not make very accurate barrels.

After that, the one with a new Butler Creek blued heavy barrel still could only muster 1" groups on a good day. Very disappointing after spending the money for that barrel expecting to get better accuracy. I then had that barrel set back and re-chambered tighter by C.P.C. After that it grouped 1/2" at 50 yards with a variety of ammo, both low and high velocity.

The second one I put a stainless Volquartsen barrel on, the one that fit the factory stock but then got thicker past the end of the stock to the muzzle. It was picky with ammo, shooting 0.5" with the best low-velocity stuff and 0.9" with the high velocity stuff it liked best.

Both triggers were lightened, and all groups were shot from a solid bench rest with scopes set at 16 to 20 power.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:59 AM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The gun will entirely shoot way better than I ever will.
"Zactly!"