Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two Cricketts

I Posted the pics below recently in the Open Rimfire forum, but thought that I would post an update on a previous thread.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=453117

Since this thread, I picked up a used Crickett identical to the first one.

I've done a few more mods to the one in my first thread. First, I filled in the hole in front of the trigger guard that was left by removing the lock. I did this by gluing a block of wood inside and filling the hole with JB. One of the reasons I glued in the block of wood was to provide a place for the front screw for the new trigger guard .

Next, I cut off the molded-in trigger guard, smoothed up the cuts, and added a sheet metal trigger guard. I did this because on both rifles, I increased the length, width, and radius of the trigger by building it up with a plexiglass and JB trigger shoe, and I needed more space inside the trigger guard. I did not make the trigger shoe so big that the stock could not be removed.

And finally I painted the stock and added a Crickett 4X scope.

On the second rifle, I cut out a completely new stock from a slab of basswood. I had been wanting to do this for some time and finally "pulled the trigger". The basswood was very easy to shape. I finished this stock with 10 coats of Tru-Oil. I used an old Marlin buttplate that I cut down and reshaped.

This stock has a 14" trigger pull, a 2 3/4" longer forearm, and a full-sized pistol grip (used a Browning T-Bolt for the pistol grip pattern.) The rifle with this stock weighs 2 lb 14 oz, is very well balanced, and I love shooting it. I replaced the sights with the fiber-optic sights from Crickett. I like the Williams fiber optic sights so well that I ordered two more sets for two of my Marlin rifles.

I would like to note that the loading procedure that I sometimes use on the Crickett rifles is to remove the bolt, remove the empty case from the face of the bolt, place a new cartridge in the face of the bolt (wedged under the extractor), and reinsert the bolt into the rifle. A common complaint about the Cricketts is the difficulty loading a cartridge into the chamber.

Also added muzzle guards made of 1/2" CPVC pipe.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Latest pictures

I got tired of the finishes on my two Cricketts and decided to camo them both. Also redid the muzzle protectors and added cartridge loops (very handy).

Took off the Crickett scope (crosshairs too thick) and put on an old BEC Eurolux 4X scope that I got from Sportsman's guide years ago for $14. The other rifle has fiber optic sights.

Fun little trail guns.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:11 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quite impressed, like the camo treatment. Big kids little kids all love Cricketts. Mine is mod-less except for taking a Dremel stone to the flat faced trigger sharp edges to round them off. A few minutes of rapidly flipping the bolt back and forth without closing, really made the action and trigger pull much smoother. Also replaced the cheap plastic cocking knob with their metal option. Later added the Airsoft cheek pad / pouch for ammo storage.

Last edited by BulletBait; 09-20-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine also have the metal cocking knob. I like them because they extend farther to the rear.

I built up the triggers on mine with sheet metal and JB to conform to adult-sized fingers.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was told that a Chipmunk comes with the steel knob instead of plastic. Also removed the nuisance bolt locking pin safety and chrome bezel just in front of the trigger guard. If out and about and happen to grip the rifle and push the plunger up to lock the bolt shut; without the key, you're out of commission.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both of mine came with plastic cocking knobs and I replaced them with the steel ones. As a matter of fact, I've done just about everything I can think about (and others suggest) to do to the Cricketts.

One of mine S/N 143xxx came without the lock (bought used). The other S/N 468xxx (bought new) came with the lock, but I removed it ASAP because I had read about people getting to the range, the gun locked, and no key. I already had a cheap set of bits from Harbor Freight that had the correct size Torq safety bit.

A camo finish on a rifle like this is kinda silly and unnecessary, but every once in a while, I just enjoy doing it.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 PM
LRB
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your camo paint jobs look really good!

I finally added a steel cocking knob to mine as well.

I launched that small spring in the bolt and didn't find it for 3 days (didn't think I'd ever find it) so I put in a slightly stronger one I had laying around.

Even with that stronger spring in there, I've noticed that the firing pin dent in the spent cases is more pronounced than before.

Probably due to the heaver knob.

It now sticks out past the forearm a little because I had removed some from the end awhile back to make it fit in a backpack.

Wish I hadn't done that but it is still works so I'll live with it.

You still liking your bolt mod?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AusSjCzc02wjgSUSaznqFI7IrDGD
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Your camo paint jobs look really good!
Thanks.

Quote:
You still liking your bolt mod?
Yes. Thanks for the idea. I lucked out on bending the new bolt handle to fit the curve of the stock with only about 1/16" clearance at the thickest part of the stock. As you pointed out, the trigger finger easily holds the bolt closed and it's very easy to operate the bolt. Don't have to reach upward very far, the bolt handle is just right there. And, it's a much neater package.

I debated in my mind about how to finish the new bolt handle - cold blue or whatever. Then I decided to do the camo and cover up it, the basswood stock, and everything.

Many years ago I lived next to a gunsmith who made a crow gun by installing a .22 hornet barrel in the left bbl. of a double barrel shotgun. Then he mounted a scope over the left barrel. Finally, he painted the gun green (maybe just painted the barrels - can't remember). I had a lot of respect for the gentleman and decided that it was ok to occasionally paint a gun. On the other hand, he had a BEAUTIFUL German Mauser .22 training rifle that he had sporterized in a cherry stock, a .410 pump that he had handmade for his wife, .....
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
I was told that a Chipmunk comes with the steel knob instead of plastic.
You were told right according to the FAQ's on the Keystone site. Also, more taper on bbl. and loading port is bigger. And, of course, walnut stock. Interesting.

I guess the Crickett is just a cheaper version of the Chipmunk. I think I'll keep my eyes open for a Chipmunk.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 PM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got two of the Chipmunk Hunter Pistols, LR and Mag and never compared the loading ports side x side with the Crickett. Became pretty adapt with the left hand feed.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently noticed that the scope on one of the Cricketts was loose and it turned out that the mount was loose from the receiver.

Took the scope and mount off, put JB Weld between the mount and the receiver and also between the barrel and the end of the mount that extends over the barrel. Used blue thread locker on all the screws. It is rock solid now.

May not ever get the mount off, but right now I don't plan to. Hopefully can get it sighted in tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 PM
LRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took mine out this weekend and the whole scope and rings had slid forward to the point that the rear ring was over the ejection port and the base clamp unscrewed and fell on my leg.

The front ring clamp was still tight, and I could see where it scraped the anodizing along the rail as it moved forward.

I think that the mount has too small of a clamping surface and even a .22LR had sufficient recoil to move the works.

Your rings look a lot like mine too.

Put a screw in the base in front of the front ring that sticks up far enough to hopefully keep everything from sliding forward, will check it out next weekend.

...and of course re-zero the scope.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
base clamp unscrewed and fell on my leg
Hope someone got a video.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM
LRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope, just a fond memory.

My friend just mounted a 3-9 variable on his Crickett that is almost larger than the rifle itself and he will probably come up this weekend to sight it in, weather permitting.

He purchased the Crickettinny rail to mount it on so he shouldn't have any problem with it lurching forward on him.

Maybe he should JB-Weld the base so he doesn't shear the whole thing off!

HA!

Can't believe a .22LR could even cause a scope to move forward from recoil like that.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recommend that your friend go ahead and JB the rail to the receiver AND to the barrel before he sights it in. I used lots of JB and used a cotton swab to clean off the excess, although the excess would not have been noticeable on the camo background. The JB not only serves as a glue but also makes a perfect fit.

I think that filling in the space between the rail and the bbl. gives it more stability, which is good with bigger scopes. There just aren't very many suitable compact scopes available.

As far as recoil is concerned, with rifles like the Crickett there is not as much weight to absorb the recoil and the recoil is felt more. As far as people who say that there is NO recoil with .22LR, I dare them to shoot a Crickett with HS ammo with the butt placed against their nose (or somewhere else.)

EDIT: Got it sighted in today with CCI SV.

Last edited by toomanyguns; 09-25-2017 at 01:58 PM.