Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:59 AM
tortoise1956
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1971 Vostok Accuracy

I recently took my Vostok rifle to the range for an accuracy check. I mounted a side-mount scope base that was generously given to me by an RFC member, and put 5 shots downrange at 50 yards.

Ammo was Wolf Match Target. Wind was less than 5 MPH. All shots were taken with the rifle mounted on a Caldwell Lead Sled that has been modified to include front and rear straps to secure and stabilize the weapon. Accuracy was measured using On Target for PC software.

Of the 5, 4 grouped at 0.35 inches apart. (I consider the 5th to be a flier, and excluded it from the group) Final accuracy - 0.669 MOA

Walther-Vostok Accuracy.jpg

The Vostok group is on the right. The one on the left is from a Walther KKM that I bought recently.

Walther-Vostok ACcuracy test.jpg

Here is a pic with a dime included for a size comparison.

I hope to get to the range this Sunday to try the same test with SK Rifle Match ammo I bought from Midway. Hopefully there will be no fliers...

Will post final results.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:10 PM
tortoise1956
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As requested by a member...

This is a Vostok CM-2 rifle with a side mounted rear sight and an adjustable buttplate (Mod 2, right?). The date engraved on it is 1971, but I suspect that is the date it was imported, not the actual date of manufacture. Serial numbers match on barrel assembly, bolt, and stock.

I had already discussed this rifle in an earlier thread, and didn't think to describe it again. Sorry...
Old 12-27-2019, 02:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both rifles were built to compete on UIT (pre-ISSF) targets. The 1958 pattern these rifles started on had a 12.4mm ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 11:28 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chances are that better cartridges would reduce your groups to below 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

I have two older Russian (USSR) rifles: a CM-2 and an URAL-2. Both will stay under 1/2 inch at 50 yards with cartridges they like.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 PM
tortoise1956
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree

but all my shooting is purely recreational. Buying SK Rifle Ammo at $8 a box is my top end. Besides, I'm afraid that my old body can't take advantage of better cartridges any more, since I can't put 5 rounds downrange without at least one flyer!