Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:00 PM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
How do you adjust the trigger on a SA 164M?

I just kinda, sorta, stumbled onto a SA 164M, in a local shop. They let me have it for the same price as a used CZ452 Varmint (22mag also). A real no-brainer purchase.

Which screw(s) do I remove, to take the action out, and then how do I adjust the trigger. It looks like there is a screw behind the trigger.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Here's a pic of my S-A 164 Sporter 'guard screws'

Yours probably has a trigger like this - If so, adjust as follows (I've adjusted the overtravel since this pic was taken so there's no space between the screw & front of trigger)

Adjusting the Savage-Anschutz Sporter Trigger

1. Locate the black slotted screw (sear engagement) just behind the trigger.
2. Loosen the locking nut & with a screwdriver, turn the screw clockwise until the firing pin falls.
3. Turn the screw back (counter-clockwise) 1/4 to 1/3 turn.
4. Re-cock the bolt - if it stays cocked move to the next step. If not repeat steps 5 and 6 until the bolt stays cocked. Re-tighten the lock nut (I do this while holding the screw to prevent mis-adjustment).

The above procedure should set the sear optimally and eliminate the creep from the trigger.

To lighten the trigger pull weight do as follows:

1. Turn removed action upside down so the trigger is pointing up.
2. Locate the pull weight screw in front of the trigger.
3. Turn screw counter-clockwise to lighten pull weight and clockwise to increase pull weight.

NOTE: The sear engagement and pull weight are affected somewhat by one another. If you change one - you will have a slight change in the other. I recommend always setting the sear first, then the pull weight.

After you complete this procedure, make SURE to cock and uncock the bolt several times on an empty chamber to insure the bolt will remain cocked.

If you can’t get the trigger light enough, you can either replace the spring with one of the 4 Anschutz sells or get a similar spring from your local hardware store. My S-A 164 only goes down to about 2 pounds with the stock spring (which is the heaviest spring of the 4 they sell). The lightest spring should let you adjust from 10 to 20 ounces or so, with the others falling somewhere in between.

You can eliminate most overtravel with the trigger stop screw. Just loosen the lock nut & turn the slotted screw clockwise until there is little or no travel after sear release then re-tighten the lock nut.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 PM
nedlate

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great pictures and instructions. I'll be saving this.
Thanks
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Thank you very much! If it has a lever and flat main spring I can figure it out, but these bolt guns are foreign to me.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Prairiewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
Here's a pic of my S-A 164 Sporter 'guard screws'

Yours probably has a trigger like this - If so, adjust as follows (I've adjusted the overtravel since this pic was taken so there's no space between the screw & front of trigger)

Adjusting the Savage-Anschutz Sporter Trigger

1. Locate the black slotted screw (sear engagement) just behind the trigger.
2. Loosen the locking nut & with a screwdriver, turn the screw clockwise until the firing pin falls.
3. Turn the screw back (counter-clockwise) 1/4 to 1/3 turn.
4. Re-cock the bolt - if it stays cocked move to the next step. If not repeat steps 5 and 6 until the bolt stays cocked. Re-tighten the lock nut (I do this while holding the screw to prevent mis-adjustment).

The above procedure should set the sear optimally and eliminate the creep from the trigger.

To lighten the trigger pull weight do as follows:

1. Turn removed action upside down so the trigger is pointing up.
2. Locate the pull weight screw in front of the trigger.
3. Turn screw counter-clockwise to lighten pull weight and clockwise to increase pull weight.

NOTE: The sear engagement and pull weight are affected somewhat by one another. If you change one - you will have a slight change in the other. I recommend always setting the sear first, then the pull weight.

After you complete this procedure, make SURE to cock and uncock the bolt several times on an empty chamber to insure the bolt will remain cocked.

If you canít get the trigger light enough, you can either replace the spring with one of the 4 Anschutz sells or get a similar spring from your local hardware store. My S-A 164 only goes down to about 2 pounds with the stock spring (which is the heaviest spring of the 4 they sell). The lightest spring should let you adjust from 10 to 20 ounces or so, with the others falling somewhere in between.

You can eliminate most overtravel with the trigger stop screw. Just loosen the lock nut & turn the slotted screw clockwise until there is little or no travel after sear release then re-tighten the lock nut.
With an added reference to the 5057 trigger and the other 64 action rifles using it, this excellent illustrated post deserves to become a STICKY, though I do not know how to accomplish that..
Old 08-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Just a little 'add on' to my post above. Dunno what trigger the current 64 sporter actions have but, I also have a S-A 141, 141M, & a 164M. ALL have the exact same trigger.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
It took me 10 minutes, to adjust it to my liking. Sear engagement was perfect, so I didn't have to mess with it. I adjusted the trigger pull weight and over travel only. I also mounted a Weaver RV9 I had laying around and it should be fine for paper punching.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Gary C

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a Savage Anschutz Mark 10A that has been giving me and my gunsmith fits over the trigger. When I saw this post today, I noticed how close the two trigger groups are. I'm now communicating with my gunsmith to see if a 5057 could be used as a 'drop in' replacement for the 5056, and from the drawings I've been looking at, I think it can. If it's possible then this thread will be of a help (even moreso than what I think it has) already.

Gary
Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Gary C

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nobody,
Can you tell me where I can get the springs for this trigger group? I ordered the last one that Numrich had, and it's OLD, and looks and feels old. I'm pretty sure the sear and the trigger are okay, but it's soaking in some CLP right now. However, I'd like a very light trigger on this rifle, so I'm looking to get it under 2 pounds.

I'm open to suggestions on the springs.

Thanks!

Gary
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Nobody

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
Nobody,
Can you tell me where I can get the springs for this trigger group? I ordered the last one that Numrich had, and it's OLD, and looks and feels old. I'm pretty sure the sear and the trigger are okay, but it's soaking in some CLP right now. However, I'd like a very light trigger on this rifle, so I'm looking to get it under 2 pounds.

I'm open to suggestions on the springs.

Thanks!

Gary
I'd try Neil Stepp in Texas or Champion Shooters. Dunno either's contact info but betcha someone here has it or maybe just Google.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Gary C

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks. I'll have my smith check it out when he attempts to install the trigger assembly. I just hope it fits, or we're back to square one and I'll be looking for a buyer for this trigger group.

Gary
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
jerryg22

TPC Rating: 
96% (40)
Anyone know where I can get a replacment for the sear screw? The head on mine lost half the head so a screwdriver wont work.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Prairiewalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg22 View Post
Anyone know where I can get a replacment for the sear screw? The head on mine lost half the head so a screwdriver wont work.
You can try ordering one from someone like Neal Stepp at http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/ but phoning works better than email.

As a faster & cheaper alternative, the screw is a standard metric M3 thread, so go to your friendly neighborhood fastener supplier and buy a couple of 3mm standard screws that you can whittle to length.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
hhguntech22
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz 64 tigger adjustment

Thanks to vepr762 for asking the right question, and thank you to "Nobody" in particular for the nicely illustrated response, which really should become a "sticky" in this thread. My recently acquired Anschutz 64, circa 1973, uses this same trigger (my rifle went first from Germany to England, and more recently to the US, so it was not a Savage-Anschutz labelled Match 64).
I was able to make some minor refinements, with complete confidence, to an already decently set trigger, thanks to your posts; my Match 64 shoots so much better than I had even hoped for. I would have posted a question similar to vepr762's had you not done so. Information passed in RFC threads frequently does a lot more good, for many people, than the originator would think.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
jerryg22

TPC Rating: 
96% (40)
This was a boon to me as well. I replaced the spring under the front toggle and now have a dream trigger that is probably 2 or 3 ounces tops!