Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:20 PM
ddem
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AR-15 Newbie

I am just getting interested in AR-15's and finding it a bit overwhelming.Could anyone recommend a book or reading material that would at least explain the basics?I would surely like to purchase or build a 22LR version someday.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I can't recommend a book.

Threads here and at AR15.com will have a lot of information. Writers named Shadowcop and Vascar2 both have broad experience with 22lr ARs.

This specific subforum has a lot of information on CMMG/Ceiner pattern bolts and barrels.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Try this one:
https://scott-duff.com/product/the-a...ssembly-guide/
Good history and practical instructions.

Also look at Brownells.com, they have a ton of info on building ARs at home and seek all the necessary tools.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Definitely no lack of information on AR's out there. You'd probably be better off getting info from a single source like a book rather than any of the AR sites out there where nobody can agree about anything. There's some good info and alot of bad.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
don't forget youtube videos there are tons of them on how to assemble, sight in, and optics etc.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:35 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For your first AR, I suggest buying a complete rifle or buying a complete lower along with a complete upper of your choice.

What are you wanting to do with your first AR? Are you wanting a basic carbine/rifle with iron sights, iron sights with red dot, or are you wanting to use a scope?

I suggest getting a basic rifle/carbine for learning the basics of the system. I also would go with iron sights and red dot (if you want it).

Once you learn the basics then the sky is the limit on how you want to configure the AR for your uses.

I'm old school and learned the basics using a M16A1 curtesy of Uncle Sam.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM
ddem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in the process of buying a new PSA PA-15 in the 5.56 platform probably with a red dot since it comes without a rear sight.I may decide to convert this one to .22LR someday after I learn the basics.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:03 AM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddem View Post
I am in the process of buying a new PSA PA-15 in the 5.56 platform probably with a red dot since it comes without a rear sight.I may decide to convert this one to .22LR someday after I learn the basics.

Good choice. I would still get a rear sight to go along with the red dot. As far as 22lr, you can either get a conversion kit or a dedicated 22lr upper. The dedicated upper will be more accurate than a conversion kit.