corrective lenses for pistol shooters... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
corrective lenses for pistol shooters...

I posted this originally on the Bullseye L forum but figured a lot of pistol shooters here would benifit from this knowledge.

If you use over the counter readers for reading and other tasks, and find that the sights are not clear and the red dot has flares and is not round, head on over to rite aid pharmacy. I am sure that other pharmacies carry these but I got mine at rite aid.

They are the Foster Grant Multi focus reading glasses. Here is a link to a pair from amazon but you really should try them out in person:

https://www.amazon.com/Foster-Grant-...s%2C190&sr=8-7

They come in a handful of different styles and various strengths, I find that the 1.5 is just about perfect for me.

For what it is worth, Rite Aid has them on sale two pair for 38 bucks with their plenti card.

Check them out, I took a slide with irons and red dot into the store to figure out which power I needed.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
I posted this originally on the Bullseye L forum but figured a lot of pistol shooters here would benifit from this knowledge.

If you use over the counter readers for reading and other tasks, and find that the sights are not clear and the red dot has flares and is not round, head on over to rite aid pharmacy. I am sure that other pharmacies carry these but I got mine at rite aid.

They are the Foster Grant Multi focus reading glasses. Here is a link to a pair from amazon but you really should try them out in person:

https://www.amazon.com/Foster-Grant-...s%2C190&sr=8-7

They come in a handful of different styles and various strengths, I find that the 1.5 is just about perfect for me.

For what it is worth, Rite Aid has them on sale two pair for 38 bucks with their plenti card.

Check them out, I took a slide with irons and red dot into the store to figure out which power I needed.

Regards,

Crankster
And nobody Screamed. GUN!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2019, 04:30 PM
goater

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Thanks cranky!
I just had both of my eyes done for cataracts. Couldn't see iron sights at all with any of the straight power readers and after reading your post I went shopping.
I found a pair of the Foster Grant 2.0 multi focus at Krogers and couldn't wait to get home to try them out!
Whoopee!! Iron sights and red dots look pretty good now and I can do a little shooting if this lousy weather would settle down! Thanks a lot!

Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2019, 07:32 PM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Tell me about it goater!

I have a pair of those weird shooting glasses from Champions choice that are designed especially for pistol shooters and they were not cutting it, then I went to a optometrist for a special set of glasses where I brought my gun in at the last appointment for the day and spent hundreds of dollars for a pair with custom lenses, and then I find these.

Best pair of shooting glasses I have found and I have a number of c notes invested in glasses that are not as good!

simply amazing and you can try em out in the store too with a slide or a red dot.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 12-17-2019, 04:02 PM
p5200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's what I need with my crappy eye sight!
Old 12-17-2019, 04:34 PM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
for what it is worth.............

I generally use a 2.5 power or 3 power for readers and got a couple pair for computer use, gun cleaning, etc. had them a couple months before I remembered that my optometrist recommended a 1.45 power.

When I was at the store I had a hard time figuring out if I wanted the 1.25 power or the 1.5 power but decided that since they were so inexpensive that I should get both and give them a long term test before I added more. What I have found out is that some days under some lighting conditions I want the 1.25 while most of the time I want the 1.5. The correct power really makes a big difference on the clarity or purity of the dot.

Cranky is very happy!

Crankster
Old 12-17-2019, 07:09 PM
p5200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For some reason I shoot better with my Ruger SuperRedhawk in 44mag. than I do with my Ruger MK III Hunter with iron sights! LOL
Old 12-18-2019, 11:52 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm lucky with progressive trifocals, don't notice any problem shooting. I've worn glasses since second grade, 56 years, trifocals for about 12 of those..