FX Pocket Radar Chronograph is not just for airguns but powder burner as well. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:58 AM
The ROC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FX Pocket Radar Chronograph is not just for airguns but powder burner as well.

Hi All,

A longtime member and thank you all for the very helpful tips but now it's time for me to contribute.

Been searching and researching for a new and easier to use chronograph and finally ordered a new FX Pocket Radar Chronograph and tested it out. It will be great not having to set up my Shooting Chrony for velocities 1300 fps or less (according to FX) and does not rely on lighting.

My first initial impression after opening the packaging was this thing feels cheap as it is made of plastic. Setting up was a breeze, just be sure to follow the instructions and with Android be sure to turn location on or it won't connect. According to YouTube videos a barrel mount bracket results in consistent readings and FX is now including that bracket.

Several CON's I can report at this time is how quickly the batteries get depleted. After 30 mins of continuous use the battery level was less than 50%. This is no surprise since this device is Bluetooth and Doppler Radar technology under the plastic housing. That no big deal, I'll just carry more batteries in the range bag. On the flip side this unit is incredible compact, no wires, no mic, no sd card and not light sensitive. The other CON and I have not tested this yet but it's limited to 1300 fps so testing my 308 handloads will still require the Shooting Chrony.

I'll have to try for groups with this unit mounted on the barrel as I am sure this will affect barrel harmonics and accuracy. Because I live in Canada suppressors are illegal so I don't have that mounting option. If it does affect groups then I'll just go the tri-pod mount.

Here's one of many YouTube videos that helped in my research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM53F1naSJE

Some pictures and screen shots testing CCI Quiet-22 (advertised 710 fps) and SV (advertised 1070 fps) out of my 16" barrel CZ 457 MTR in a MDT chassis.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:46 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info. It would be good for checking subsonic loads. Will it handle recoil of 38 spl 1000-1100 fps from a rifle or would it have to set on the table below the barrel?
Old 11-17-2019, 09:50 AM
The ROC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Thanks for the info. It would be good for checking subsonic loads. Will it handle recoil of 38 spl 1000-1100 fps from a rifle or would it have to set on the table below the barrel?
The video link also shows using a pistol and according to the tester the muzzle and flash needs to be in front of the chrony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 10:45 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks ROC, this post is in the best tradition of RFC members enabling each others spending habits

I do most of my airgunning indoors under fluorescent lighting and my Chrony won't pick up the shots. I've tried clamp on incandescent lights and battery powered LEDs and no go as well.

This little gizzy looks like just the ticket!

Frank
Old 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM
LeverGunFan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Several CON's I can report at this time is how quickly the batteries get depleted. After 30 mins of continuous use the battery level was less than 50%. This is no surprise since this device is Bluetooth and Doppler Radar technology under the plastic housing. That no big deal, I'll just carry more batteries in the range bag.
Consider using lithium batteries, especially if you can buy them at a discount club. They last longer than alkaline batteries and may cost less in the long run even though the initial cost is higher. I use lithium batteries in a Labradar and get decent battery life. Another benefit is their long shelf life and better leak resistance compared to alkalines.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have one of these as well. I use for air rifles and archery. I donít attach to the barrel because I canít figure out to use the bracket. I like it better than my Pro Chrony. No fussing with lighting.