Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bedding Raptor & Barracuda

So, my kids have outgrown their starter stocks & it was time to pillar bed my sons action into a red & black Raptor stock, & my daughter’s into a purple Barracuda.
Both stocks had great inletting around the TD area, so I decided to only bed the A683 Watts fitting in place without any Devcon over the floor of the TD area.
Both have Kidd rear tangs. Pics of the rear are taken before I relieved the shelf that articulates with the TG... no more “cam in” action needed with 2 action screws.
Both receivers are tapped to 1/4-20, using the Watts 3/4” flange pillar and VQ escutcheon. I’m very happy with the results; If you want to know how to get that glass smooth finish, read the sticky on Gunnerbedding. IME, the key is using Devcon 10110 and Kiwi neutral shoe polish which is applied after melting the Kiwi with flame, then buffing to a haze. Bedding compound needs to be applied to the action AND inletting in the stock, with care being taken to use implements to run the compound into the 90 degree inside corners to remove all gaps and bubbles. This must be done gently, to avoid scraping off the release agent. I use soft wood tools.
I’ll take more pics of the completed rifles & post later- just starting with pics of the bedding.

My sons build:

Applejack Raptor,
Gunnerbedded w/Kidd rear tang, A683 Watts 3/4” Flange pillar, VQ escutcheon & Devcon 10110

1983 Ruger receiver w Kidd rear tang+ Cerakote
20" GM Fluted Taper with Tactical Innovations M22/50 Brake
Kidd silver bolt
Heier Custom Ruger TG w VQ internals @ 2.5#
Chaser Prototype “Skullie” mag release.
Kidd CH, pins, buffer
Weaver Classic V24 BallisticX on Leupold QRW rings
Offhand Optic: Ultradot 25

My Daughter’s build:

Purple Laminate Barracuda, Gunnerbedded w/Kidd rear tang, A683 Watts 3/4” Flange pillar, VQ escutcheon & Devcon 10110
Tactical Machining a Receiver with integrated rail
Kidd 18" Black LW barrel
Kidd Silver bolt
Kidd Black Viton CH/Assy
Kidd single stage TG @ .87lb
Bench Optic:
Weaver Classic V24 BallisticX on Leupold QRW rings
Offhand Optic: Bushnell TRS 25

What is “Gunnerbedding”?

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=526029

Pics:

Barracuda

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-24-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:49 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Excellent! He knows his way around the syringe.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:00 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Excellent! He knows his way around the syringe.
Hah! That’s hilarious because I actually DO use a big arse syringe & 10, 12, or 14ga veterinary needle installed in a special pressure control caulk gun that I modded for just this purpose. I epoxied a huge washer into the front of the caulk gun to hold the nose of the syringe. I get 35 & 60cc syringes for free, I have nurses & anesthesiologists save the unused ones that would normally be thrown away...

DrGunner
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Ya didn't know I was lookin' over your shoulder did ya
Old 08-24-2019, 09:32 PM
NicholsT55
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent bedding, as usual! Very nice.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Ya didn't know I was lookin' over your shoulder did ya
How you DO that!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholsT55 View Post
Excellent bedding, as usual! Very nice.
Thank you, Sir!

DrGunner
Old 09-11-2019, 12:43 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
DrG, your bedding skills and the results are always impressive! It's too bad that it gets covered up with the rifle.

Doug
Old 09-14-2019, 01:42 PM
squeezeit
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ht rear tang?

Dr. Gunner,
Your work on both of those rear tang inlets and bedding look perfect as usual,
Such nice results! I followed your instructions posted here a few years ago on bedding / tangs and you really helped me get a good result, thanks again

- what height Kidd tang are you using on the raptor?
It looks like there is just barely enough room for it before the steep drop off for the grip ( I have been building up the courage to add one to my raptor too
Old 09-14-2019, 02:22 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
DrG, your bedding skills and the results are always impressive! It's too bad that it gets covered up with the rifle.

Doug
Thanks, my friend- ‘tis a shame, especially stocks like my OEM CZ452 Varmint.
I bedded this one with great results and within a few months, moved the action to a Merier Custom silhouette stock so this one is collecting dust on a shelf.

DrGunner
Old 09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeit View Post
Dr. Gunner,
Your work on both of those rear tang inlets and bedding look perfect as usual,
Such nice results! I followed your instructions posted here a few years ago on bedding / tangs and you really helped me get a good result, thanks again

- what height Kidd tang are you using on the raptor?
It looks like there is just barely enough room for it before the steep drop off for the grip ( I have been building up the courage to add one to my raptor too
First off- thanks for the kind words- much appreciated, & glad my instructions helped! There’s definitely a learning curve, but it’s not all that steep if you ameliorate the stress by doing practice runs on old take off stocks & such.
I started bedding CF rifles a couple decades ago. A 10-22 receiver is not that easy to bed if you’re keeping the “cam in” properties of the original Ruger design- because the action SHOULD be dropped in vertically when setting it in the mud. The cam in can create strange forces and leverage that make the distribution of bedding compound unpredictable. I would always bed the take down area without the trigger group installed, but if the bedding compound ends up running down off of the shelf of the takedown area and you allow too much to adhere to the ramp in the inletting where the front prongs/front of the mag well articulate, that can cause serious binding problems when the trigger group is installed.

When I decided to start tackling bedding 1022s, I practiced extensively on inexpensive square objects. The 1022 receiver is much more difficult to bed without binding versus typical cylindrical centerfire actions.

At the outset, I started out practicing on a 2x4, I would inlet it with a router, and bed a screwdriver handle, or a deep well tool socket, or other steel object that would not break my heart or bank to ruin. Then I moved to take off stocks, old beaters that I got from friends & members here, and used a Ruger receiver that was badly in need of stripping/refinish. I think the single biggest problem/mistake people make when learning to bed rifles is that they go straight to the job itself, rather than practice with disposable materials to gain confidence in how the materials behave when worked and what the results are.

But, as is often the case, I digressed far afield from your question- Sorry!

The rear tang that I used for the Raptor stock is the tallest/lowest slope version.
It’s the one on the far LEFT in this pic:

And FYI- ALL THREE VERSIONS OF THE KIDD REAR TANG HAVE THE SAME DIMENSIONS IN LENGTH FROM THE REAR OF THE RECEIVER AND HEIGHT AT THE FRONT/RECEIVER INTERFACE. They only vary in height at the rear and pitch of the slope.

When I initially ordered it from Kidd, they sent me the wrong one which was likely my fault, and has happened more than once – the problem is in the way that I described it. I called it Tall/High- they describe “High” as the slope. My plan- and suggestion- is to always CALL them when ordering rear tangs.
I’ve ordered about 20 of them, so you’d think I’d get it right.

I’m highly educated, and not always all that bright.

Regards,

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 09-15-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Bench-Schooled/D-I-Y Wise
Old 09-15-2019, 12:27 AM
squeezeit
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Sir!

Dr Gunner,
Thank you for taking the time to post the photo of the Kidd rear tangs,
I was way off with the one one I thought I needed! ...
& The fact that you have them all on hand says a lot for your experience & dedication to the quest for small groups,,, you have done a lot of these haven’t you!
I saved your photo in my notes , will be ordering from Kidd Monday
I have 2 old Kidd builds that will be getting stock upgrades this coming month, bedding tangs and all , If I encounter a detail that I think may be helpful to our community , I will post photos
Thanks again,
Sean
Old 09-15-2019, 01:27 AM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Bench-Schooled/D-I-Y Wise
I loooooove my tools.... my “socket/ratchet/extension & box wrench drawer”

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeit View Post
Dr Gunner,
Thank you for taking the time to post the photo of the Kidd rear tangs,
I was way off with the one one I thought I needed! ...
& The fact that you have them all on hand says a lot for your experience & dedication to the quest for small groups,,, you have done a lot of these haven’t you!
I saved your photo in my notes , will be ordering from Kidd Monday
I have 2 old Kidd builds that will be getting stock upgrades this coming month, bedding tangs and all , If I encounter a detail that I think may be helpful to our community , I will post photos
Thanks again,
Sean
Sean- Thanks for that

Ive done a few... I think my first was around 2012. While I do have high and low slope tangs on hand, plus a custom one with a crisp 90° corner milled out of the slope area by my good friend azguy-
Full disclosure- that pic is actually taken directly from Kidd’s website. .

Please- Do post some pics, folks always benefit from seeing each other’s methods as the work progresses. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Best of luck with your projects-

DrG
Old 12-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sorry if I missed it, but what size needles do you use again? I have uo ro 18ga.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what size needles do you use again? I have uo ro 18ga.
18g x1.5" - if ya need some let me know..