Experimentation with Steady Hold Factors and Equipment - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:47 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Experimentation with Steady Hold Factors and Equipment

So....I've earned every Appleseed (AS) qualification there is, not saying this to boast, but it is what it is.

I decided to do some things different yesterday at a one day AS event.

First, I shot the entire event without my high power shooting gear (coat and glove), to mimic CMP rimfire sporter rules.

I shot the entire event with my rifle scope at max magnification (9X). When your hold is tight (1-2 MOA), shooting at 9X can reveal a LOT of stuff, primarily, NPA issues. If you do not have NPA you may not even be on your target frame, let alone your target at 25 yards!

In prep during a practice stage, I felt my scope could be moved FWD some more. So....I grabbed my FAT wrench and removed the mount from the base and moved it FWD.

I only noticed a 1MOA down shift in elevation and less than 1 MOA in windage shift. What that really means....is that (This is not advised to do during an event....but....LOL) I still would have scored very well....were it a real AQT.

It is also a testament to a reputable/reliable scope base and scope mount system. I use a 20MOA EGW base and a Tactical Solutions one piece extended mount.

Almost a return to zero system!

It was a one day event, and we only shot 2 AQTs. I was really there to watch my daughter SMOKE the course of fire (which she did), so....I opted to do some experimentation.

For the first AQT, I shot standing without a sling (to mimic CMP Rimfire sporter), and used my sling for the remainder of the course of fire. I shot a 242.....not too shabby.

For the final AQT, I shot the entire AQT without a sling.

THAT was interesting. What that showed me, was good steady hold factors even in the absence of a sling, will still result in a Riflemans score! I shot a 218 on that AQT!

I did not clean the final redcoat, as I missed the Morgan's shingle.

My wobble in prone without the sling and the scope at 9X resembled my standing/offhand wobble on that Morgan's shingle.

Position, Position, Position! THAT is key....the sling will simply reinforce a good position!

Figured I would share....it was FUN trying some weird stuff....sometimes ya gotta shake things up a bit and simply enjoy the fun that comes with shooting!

R/
Chris
Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is immense value in shooting occasionally without the use of a sling or coat for support.

Undoubtedly, the sling provides the most support for the rifle.

Shooting coats used for standing, provide significant support to the back as well. Shooting coats coupled with a sling for prone and seated really provide a rock steady platform for shooting.

My 11 yr old daughter just earned her NRA High Power Rifle Master classification. She did this with a canvas basic coat from Creedmoor Sports. I was not about to spend $450 on a hardback cordura shooting coat for my 10 year old daughter who had not earned her Marksman classification yet! Let alone the fact she is still growing.

Well, as a Christmas present to her, we ordered her a deluxe hardback cordura coat from Creedmoor Sports. When considering ordering her one we discussed it with some very accomplished high power rifle and small bore shooters.

Brent, the GM at Creedmoor was a small bore competitor. His advice (and others) was interesting.

He is in business to make $, but is also a personal friend and I know he is not out to take advantage of anyone.

Brent asked me how Shannon was shooting, especially standing. I told him she was doing well, but she has outgrown her canvas coat and we were considering a hardback for her.

He said, "She is Ready", but were she not shooting as well as she has been with the canvas he would have advised against it for her.

He said something like this "Using the canvas coat the past year has only reinforced her to use skeletal support, were she to start out with the hardback there could have been a risk that the coat would have masked her not using bones, but instead using the coat as support", or something to that effect.

We discussed performance with and without the coat. Shooting standing without the coat (and without a sling), will only enforce the use of bones for support.

I'm excited to see her performance with a hardback coat when she receives it. It is going to be weird for her at first, but I am fairly certain she is going to be smiling ear to ear in no time! LOL

So there is value in practicing occasionally without support. If only to reinforce to yourself that you have a solid fundamental position.

Similar to what I did above, shooting an AQT without a coat and sling for support.

Give that a try if you have a chance. If you are already a Rifleman, what do you have to lose? You should be able to score Rifleman without a sling for support on the AQT. That is a generously large target. If you cannot, you may have identified a flaw in your own personal steady hold factors that you need to work on.

R/
Chris