Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:10 PM
rrogers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TIKKA 1X MTR....Meh

I've spent a decent amount of time with my new T1X MTR and so far I'm mildly impressed. It shoots most ammo as good or slightly better than my 10/22 with a 16.5" barrel. The stock is cheesy plastic, plastic trigger guard and you have to buy a scope rail mount for $40 for mounting a good optic. Extra mags are ridiculously priced if you can find one. If you plan to do any precision target shooting or other competitive shooting you'll have to buy an aftermarket comb adjustment for a decent cheek weld. Length of pull is fairly short for a grown man and that'll cost you another $50 to fix. The trigger is nice though and I adjusted mine to just less than 1lbs. Of course if you're just gonna throw this in a chassis you're good to go.
I have a CZ457 Varmint w/a 20" barrel that'll be here tomorrow with a nice wooden stock and excellent trigger. I'll let you know how they compare and I'll sell the loser.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 AM
Shooter92

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go ahead and sell the tikka so that someone who appreciates at fine rifle can own it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 12:55 PM
trackskid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6934ECF5-1648-44EE-B26E-D56ACB6418B5.jpg
Yeah...at 100yrds they shoot like poo...after 30lbs of torque on action screws and finding an ammo they like...stock isn’t too bad if you factor in the trigger unit is the same as on center fire, the receiver is super beefy and if you use Burris Signature rings the dovetail groves work like a boss...mine shoots almost as well as 1712 but a small fraction of the cost and don’t even talk about magazine costs- I have a T-Bolt and that Anschutz, both are stupid for .22lr magazines

Last edited by trackskid; 08-09-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 04:03 PM
SLS

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You’ll love the CZ 457 Varmint. Post your results with it on the CZ forum. My Varmint trigger breaks at just over 10 oz.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:56 AM
Beetroot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive never understood the complaints about the Tikka stock, sure if you don't like synthetic stocks then it's not for you, but compared to every other factory synthetic stock on the market they are fantastic.

Admittedly the LOP is an issue on the T1x I was pretty disappointed with that, but the modularity of the stock is a great feature.

The lack of a rail and need to add a cheek riser is no different than 99% of rifles on the market.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Tomiboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking forward to a comparison
Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrogers View Post
I've spent a decent amount of time with my new T1X MTR and so far I'm mildly impressed. It shoots most ammo as good or slightly better than my 10/22 with a 16.5" barrel. The stock is cheesy plastic, plastic trigger guard and you have to buy a scope rail mount for $40 for mounting a good optic. Extra mags are ridiculously priced if you can find one. If you plan to do any precision target shooting or other competitive shooting you'll have to buy an aftermarket comb adjustment for a decent cheek weld. Length of pull is fairly short for a grown man and that'll cost you another $50 to fix. The trigger is nice though and I adjusted mine to just less than 1lbs. Of course if you're just gonna throw this in a chassis you're good to go.
I have a CZ457 Varmint w/a 20" barrel that'll be here tomorrow with a nice wooden stock and excellent trigger. I'll let you know how they compare and I'll sell the loser.
I am not sure why guys slam this stock, it is the best "plastic stock out there". I put the same rail as on my CZ. you don't have to get a rail, but I prefer them. I paid the same price for my CZ 10 round mags. I got a T3X recoil pad for $20. Mine will out shoot my CZ Varmint, that shoots very good.
Mark
Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 AM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I am not sure why guys slam this stock, it is the best "plastic stock out there". I put the same rail as on my CZ. you don't have to get a rail, but I prefer them. I paid the same price for my CZ 10 round mags. I got a T3X recoil pad for $20. Mine will out shoot my CZ Varmint, that shoots very good.
Mark
You knew it had a plastic stock when you bought it!This is a hunters rifle and a fine one at that,out shoots my CZ's just barely,trigger is right at 2lbs perfect.I run a Weaver Grand Slam 4X16X44 Varmint EBX,absolutely deadly accurate.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Joemiami

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to mention all the FTF and all the FTE issues that Beretta claims are do to the magazines... ummmmm guess we’ll find out soon enough.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrogers View Post
That's odd, I didn't have to buy a rail to mount a scope on my T1X. Just used the 11mm rail and haven't had any issues with the scope moving. It's not like it recoils heavy.

As for the length of pull being short, yes it is but as mentioned for $20 it's easily fixed.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/t3x...pad/s54065174/

My suggestion to people who don't like or can't live with plastic stocks and trigger guards is to buy something else to start with. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:56 PM
JackHart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own a T1X and a 457 Varmint and have put 100's of rounds through both rifles. While the T1X may have a few shortcomings, my T1X is a more accurate rifle than my CZ, and that's what really counts.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:14 PM
john the plinker
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
That's odd, I didn't have to buy a rail to mount a scope on my T1X. Just used the 11mm rail and haven't had any issues with the scope moving. It's not like it recoils heavy.

As for the length of pull being short, yes it is but as mentioned for $20 it's easily fixed.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/t3x...pad/s54065174/

My suggestion to people who don't like or can't live with plastic stocks and trigger guards is to buy something else to start with. You'll be happier in the long run.
This right here. As much as I like a nice piece of wood, almost all my main shooters are plastic stocked. From a strictly practical standpoint, synthetics blow wood out of the water. It's nice to be able to take a rifle out in any weather, 10% or 90% humidity, 10f or 90f, pouring rain, near whiteout snow,or blazing sun, and know it will shoot to the same POA as it did the last time. I've worked with wood from a wee lad, and I don't care how well its sealed and finished, eventually it will shrink, swell, and/or warp.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:52 PM
BallisticianX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im quite happy with my T1x in .22, other than the length of pull being short but that is easily remedied. Regarding the comparison to a 457 varmint, got one of those too. Originally my 457 varmint was a 17 hmr and shot absolutely horrible with any ammo even after bedding it. So I re-barreled it with a .22 heavy CZ factory barrel, re-bedded it, and set correct headspace. Was not impressed with that either. So I ended up putting a Lilja barrel on it in 17 HMR as I originally wanted and now it shoots 5/8"-3/4" at 100. So when it came time for a modest priced .22 I chose Tikka over CZ based on my previous experience.
Without spending $$ on mods for the T1x I just threw some cheap rings and scope on it and turned action screw torque to 20 in/lbs for a starting point. It posted multiple .250" 5 shot groups at 50 with Tenex in 20 degree weather. Im sure when I get some mods for it and actually tweak it (without numb finger as well) I can potentially do better. Tikka over CZ for me!

Last edited by BallisticianX; 12-26-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:04 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john the plinker View Post
This right here. As much as I like a nice piece of wood, almost all my main shooters are plastic stocked. From a strictly practical standpoint, synthetics blow wood out of the water. It's nice to be able to take a rifle out in any weather, 10% or 90% humidity, 10f or 90f, pouring rain, near whiteout snow,or blazing sun, and know it will shoot to the same POA as it did the last time. I've worked with wood from a wee lad, and I don't care how well its sealed and finished, eventually it will shrink, swell, and/or warp.
1. When I see a plastic stock and blue steel I image a gun built to the lowest cost.

2. When I see walnut and blue steel (all steel) I think classic or traditional.

3. When I see stainless and plastic I see an all weather hunting rifle.

Number 3 is a gun I take out in any weather and put it away when I come home. The other two may need action removed from the stock for a good wipe down. I see little advantage in 1/2 way measure. No1 is cost driven. not performance. This is the problem I have with my Ruger American. Same material combination. Ruger (or its fans) makes no bones about building a gun that can put price pressure on the competition. People were buying 3 or 4 at a time! I get a pain in fanie when the fanboys turn a cost saving cheap feature into a talking point.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:33 PM
carbonbased

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to agree with fourbore’s last post. If the gun wears a plastic stock, it better have a stainless barrel, at least. Better if the receiver is stainless too. I’ve hunted in the rain and I would prefer not to deal with oil and rust.