1957 Standard - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:25 AM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1957 Standard

Just picked up a well used Standard yesterday. Dates to '57. This is my first pistol from the Ruger Standard/Mk line. Anything special about this gun that would be reason not to use it as God and Bill Ruger intended? Otherwise, this pistol will probably spend some time with me out in the field. If it didn't have the bluing wear I probably wouldn't have bought it for fear that it never would have left my safe. Anything special I should look at and take care of maintenance-wise, other than cleaning? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191116_214636_1573996847473.jpg (473.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_214706_1573996927031.jpg (459.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20191116_214616_1573997017326.jpg (456.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinAK View Post
Just picked up a well used Standard yesterday. Dates to '57. This is my first pistol from the Ruger Standard/Mk line. Anything special about this gun that would be reason not to use it as God and Bill Ruger intended? Otherwise, this pistol will probably spend some time with me out in the field. If it didn't have the bluing wear I probably wouldn't have bought it for fear that it never would have left my safe. Anything special I should look at and take care of maintenance-wise, other than cleaning? Thanks!
SAK,

Very nice MkI...Congrats!

After a good cleaning, it'll be a Fun Rimfire...Enjoy As IS!!!

Ted
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinAK View Post
Congratulations, you'll have a lot of fun with that pistol!! I bought a 1951 version of that gun a couple years ago, with very similar bluing wear from use & the old leather holster that came with it. It is a great shooting pistol. At about the same time, my Significant Other and me also bought a used Mark II 50th Anniversary model and a new Mark IVZ Target model. The old Standard model outshoots all of them, at least in my hands, which is all that counts to me.

My advice.

1. Shoot it "as God and Bill Ruger intended."

2. Learn how to break it down & put it back together for cleaning. There a several videos on how to do this. I used both of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDDB9t2qa7Y or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_wTmiko0g

It took me three tries the first time I did it, with frequent pauses and rewinds, but be patient and it will work fine. Mine clearly had not been apart in a long time, based on the accumulated gunk I found inside.

3. Buy at least one extra magazine. You don't need the special 9 round magazine that Ruger sells for it, you can use the 10 round mags for a Mark II. All you have to do is switch the mag follower button to the other side for use in the old Standard/Mark I models. In fact, even if you do buy the Ruger 9 round mag, you still have to switch the follower button to the other side. Save some wear on your original mag; they're very hard to find and that may matter to a future buyer. I bought a 9 rounder from Ruger, switched the follower button to the other side, then took the mag apart & trimmed the spring post on the follower button so it would hold ten rounds. It worked like a champ. Details on how to do this are contained in a couple of RFC posts by Edlmann in 2017 - sorry, can't find the exact link for these posts.

4. Buy one of those inexpensive mag loader gizmos that slip over the magazine to aid in pushing the follower button down when reloading. These are simply a piece of flat plastic with an oblong hole in the middle, and several versions are available for $5-$10. The follower buttons are pretty small, and your thumb will thank you after you load several mags - and you will - when you use the load assist gizmo.

5. Download the owner's manual if one didn't come with your gun.

6. Buy a bunch of ammo and go shoot it. Mine shoots CCI SV and Fed AutoMatch pretty well.

Let us know how it shoots for you.

Last edited by cabin22; 11-17-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 10:16 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
3. Buy at least one extra magazine. You don't need the special 9 round magazine that Ruger sells for it, you can use the 10 round mags for a Mark II. All you have to do is switch the mag follower button to the other side for use in the old Standard/Mark I models. In fact, even if you do buy the Ruger 9 round mag, you still have to switch the follower button to the other side. Save some wear on your original mag; they're very hard to find and that may matter to a future buyer. I bought a 9 rounder from Ruger, switched the follower button to the other side, then took the mag apart & trimmed the spring post on the follower button so it would hold ten rounds. It worked like a champ. Details on how to do this are contained in a couple of RFC posts by Edlmann in 2017.
Very easy mod, once you get the magazine apart. Cut on the red line:

Quote:
4. Buy one of those inexpensive mag loader gizmos that slip over the magazine to aid in pushing the follower button down when reloading. These are simply a piece of flat plastic with an oblong hole in the middle, and several versions are available for $5-$10. The follower buttons are pretty small, and your thumb will thank you after you load several mags - and you will - when you use the load assist gizmo.
Like this one:

Quote:
5. Download the owner's manual if one didn't come with your gun.
Download here directly from Ruger.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Edlmann, Pics always help. I should have copied the exact post link when I made my original notes.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM
SteveinAK
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the great info, gents! I will try to get some rounds through it today and let you guys know how it ran. I have a feeling my Buckmark and Single Six are going to take a backseat to this little pistol! I have wanted one for a lot of years and never got around to buying one. In fact, the very first semi pistol I ever shot as a kid was virtually identical to this one.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
...Very easy mod, once you get the magazine apart. Cut on the red line:...
Great, I have a similar (OEM?) RST Vintage 9-round mag (came with my used standard), with the solid pressed-in silver base plate!

My dilemma is...Without tearing up the steel mag, How do you get the base plate off to get to the mag follower?!?

Am I missing something!?!

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Vintage RST Mag.jpg (183.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Vintage RST Mag-2.jpg (186.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Theo98; 11-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Great, I have a similar (OEM?) RST Vintage 9-round mag (came with my used standard), with the solid pressed-in silver base plate!

My dilemma is...Without tearing up the steel mag, How do you get the base plate off to get to the mag follower?!?

Ted
What you're missing is the hole for the follower button is higher on these older mags.

The base plate doesn't come off. You push the follower down and remove the button. Then the guts are removed from the top.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Ted
Yes, you're attempting to do the mod on the wrong mag. 1st choice is simply buy one of the 10 round Mark II style mags & switch the follower button to the other side. The modification pictured above is only for the newer 9 round mags, if you have/get one of those. There's a hole in the bottom of the plastic base plate on the newer mags, just push it in until you can begin to slide the base plate off (toward the front of the mag), remove the spring & pin, pull the follower button, and the follower will slide right out. Reassemble in reverse order. No real need to disassemble the old style mags, adds to the "collectability" for future buyers.

Last edited by cabin22; 11-17-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
What you're missing is the hole for the follower button is higher on these older mags.

The base plate doesn't come off. You push the follower down and remove the button. Then the guts are removed from the top.
Quote:
Yes, you're attempting to do the mod on the wrong mag. 1st choice is simply buy one of the 10 round Mark II style mags & switch the follower button to the other side. The modification pictured above is only for the newer 9 round mags, if you have/get one of those. There's a hole in the bottom of the plastic base plate on the newer mags, just push it in until you can begin to slide the base plate off (toward the front of the mag), remove the spring & pin, pull the follower button, and the will slide right out. Reassemble in reverse order. No real need to disassemble the old style mags, adds to the "collectability" for future buyers.
Thanks guys, gonna leave well enough alone as I have "6" MkII mags to use with my Standard and MkI Target 6 7/8". Collectable huh, that Vintage mag will be relinquished as a safe queen investment!

Ted
Old 11-17-2019, 03:37 PM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That one is very nice for its age.
I wish I had been that lucky when I found this 1954 Mark Standard in my brother-in-law's house a week after he was found deceased inside.
He was a widower, lived alone, and had no children. I actually found six handguns and a shotgun and most of them were in this same condition.....rusted shut and fully loaded. I soaked the entire pistol in kerosene for a week and then sprayed on Kroil penetrant in order to take it apart.
I have been working on the Mark I std. off and on. It is functioning but the safety is very stiff from rust pitting and all rust is removed now.
Bad pitting remains in several areas.
I took it to our gun range recently and it was remarkably accurate with the sights shooting to POA at 30 feet. Front sight is very badly pitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Mark I.jpg (434.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger std b.jpg (127.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger Mark I std.jpg (384.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by smith627; 11-17-2019 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-17-2019, 05:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, Smith627, that was in awful condition. Not to mention the circumstances of its discovery.

But it looks like it "cleaned up" fairly well. I'm surprised you got it back together and functioning after all that neglect. But I'm not surprised it shoots decently, my old one did too.Have any "After" pics of it fully assembled?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:06 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Ted
Trick won't work on your mag - only on current style magazine with plastic base.

Last edited by edlmann; 11-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:53 AM
45flattop
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
That 1957 era Standard cleaned up rather well

Glad you got it back to working order, it really resembles my standard that dates
from 1968 and between the two according to the serial numbers, are 300,000
or thereabouts and now of course likely millions more. Congratulations on the
save.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
great project and i like the results so far - you saved that one for sure ,