Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:59 PM
DonnyO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Build

I'm looking to replace a worn out Marlin 795 that I use for a local 2 gun rimfire match. I figure 10/22 is the way to go as I have had a few over the years.

My local store has the Carbine on sale this month for $189 and I'm debating getting that with the plan to update to the Magpul X22 or similar as I go. I was looking at the T/CR22 which comes with a Magpul stock, but I don't think theirs is adjustable for LOP. The Carbine original is 12.5" and I know that will not work for me but does come with an integrated rail and no irons which is fine because it's getting a red dot.

Also I saw one review of the T/CR22 that showed the barrel rusting

Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2019, 01:17 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22s are hard to beat for the cost. I like the fact they can be tailored for any need. Me and a buddy built two older receivers up into a pair of pretty slick race guns. I've tried four different types of certain components at various times. I like being able to mix it up since I prefer not to have multiple versions of the same gun. I've been thinking of switching from my TacSol barrel to a Shilen recently, although I like the offhand control the TacSol affords. I don't recall having a single failure of any kind since the last round of upgrades. Had my receiver ceracoated in Sig Dark Grey around the same time I switched to a Kidd bolt. Timney trigger group has a heavier trigger but I prefer it to the Jard and Kidd I tried. Magpul X-22 Hunter stock is solid.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I would recommend buying a 10/22 receiver and building it yourself. That way you can do it the way you want. Unless you plan on keeping it OEM. Most people that but an OEM 10/22 usually end up with enough parts to build another rifle after they're done doing upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyO View Post
I'm looking to replace a worn out Marlin 795 that I use for a local 2 gun rimfire match. I figure 10/22 is the way to go as I have had a few over the years.

My local store has the Carbine on sale this month for $189 and I'm debating getting that with the plan to update to the Magpul X22 or similar as I go. I was looking at the T/CR22 which comes with a Magpul stock, but I don't think theirs is adjustable for LOP. The Carbine original is 12.5" and I know that will not work for me but does come with an integrated rail and no irons which is fine because it's getting a red dot.

Also I saw one review of the T/CR22 that showed the barrel rusting

Thoughts?
CDNN has some good deals on the Ruger 10/22s:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogse...uger%2010%2F22
Old 11-23-2019, 07:04 PM
DonnyO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure I'm ready to build from the ground up since I don't need hole in hole accuracy and the costs would shoot up quickly with just a decent receiver, bolt and barrel. The Ruger Carbine is a decent start but by the time I change the stock I'm well over the cost of this:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ucts_id/109827

It comes with the integrated rail and from what I've read the receiver is better quality, smoother machining and a more finished bolt assy. Also comes with a green/red dot, Magpul proprietary stock, over sized charging handle, extended mag release and M-LOK mountings. Also with their mags it has a last round hold open feature. It also works with standard 10/22 mags but wont hold open with them.

For me, at this price it might be all I need for a while without building a 1k rifle. I may have found my own answer but lots of research to do from here.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
True, but you could buy a Brownell's receiver = $55-$75, BX trigger = $50, Kidd ULW barrel = $185, used OEM bolt w/charging handle = $30-$40, and Magpul stock = $80-$100.

All in your looking at $410-$450 for a custom rifle that should be a great shooter. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, only you know what you want. I'm just going by experience of what people on this forum (myself included) usually end up doing and say that's what should have been done in the first place. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.