Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:48 PM
noshow
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Rossi 62SAC Problem

I took my Rossi to the range today for the first time since 2015 and had a problem. I loaded it with 12 rounds of Winchester M-22 40gr RN with Black Copper Plating. The first three rounds all fired, but the third would not extract. That ended the session. When I got home , I broke it down and pushed the lodged case out with a cleaning rod. The naughty case was displaying a domed or bulged case head. I believe it was all due to the ammo, or do I have a problem with the extractor? Looking for opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester 22 ammo is junk. Its the ammo. The m 22 has been overloaded, underloaded , recalled etc.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just curious, how long have you had the rifle? How did it shoot prior to 2015?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 05:48 PM
snapbean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Winchester 22 ammo is junk. Its the ammo. The m 22 has been overloaded, underloaded , recalled etc.
I'm inclined to agree, although I hate making blanket statements like that. I do know this - I have several rifles that will NOT shoot Winchester ammo due to loading or ejection issues. I own several types of Winchester 22 ammo, but that's a result of the shortage where I was buying whatever I could get my hands on. Now I'm using it in guns that will shoot pretty much anything I feed them.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:28 PM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
M22

I have had a lot of problems with the Winchester M22 in semi autos and try to use it up in my pumps and levers .

I've been having some issues with the Winchester 333 and 555 bulk not being loaded hot enough to cycle semi autos and can actually hear the difference when shooting them.

CCI and Federal on the other hand, are very consistent and hot enough to reliably cycle my semi autos and accurate too.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:49 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshow View Post
I took my Rossi to the range today for the first time since 2015 and had a problem. I loaded it with 12 rounds of Winchester M-22 40gr RN with Black Copper Plating. The first three rounds all fired, but the third would not extract. That ended the session. When I got home , I broke it down and pushed the lodged case out with a cleaning rod. The naughty case was displaying a domed or bulged case head. I believe it was all due to the ammo, or do I have a problem with the extractor? Looking for opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance
They did have a recall for that exact reason on that exact ammo around that timeframe: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-rimfire-ammo/
Old 01-09-2020, 12:02 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not being a smart aleck but I stated carry a small tool box for gun problems many years ago. It contains a three piece cleaning rod just for the problem in the OP and it's saved more than one range trip for me.

I'm going with the ammo being the problem as a guess without being there and seeing what happened. I haven't had that particular problem with Winchester 22 ammo but have had enough others that it's on my do not purchase list until I see posts that say it's vastly improved.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Lessen # 1 always take a small tool kit and a cleaning rod with you to the range as Arrowhead said, l make that a point with every trip to the range hour trip for me.

When was the last time you cleaned that rifle?
lf you didn't have a domed case head before and you have now check the lock-up area and breech and bolt face for dirt build-up.