Old 11-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/silencer View Post
well i am almost done with firing pin
That is an innovative approach to the modification.

Removing a little material from the bottom will save you a lot of bolt grinding.

Last edited by Bigbore; 11-26-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is what I was going to do, after I cut the
Pin to lenght. Then fit the pin to the bolt.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 05:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i am not the best at silver soldering ,but it is a firing pin now.
now all i have to do trim to size, then finish the bolt then test.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1022pin3.jpg (280.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 06:54 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Somebody tell me why simply shooting the rifle upside down through a chronograph wouldn't answer the question without fabricating anything? Maybe shoot straight down from an elevated platform and then shoot it straight up! That would put the six o'clock speculation to rest in a hurry. You guys are trying to pick a spec of fly crap out of a pound of pepper.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
You guys are trying to pick a spec of fly crap out of a pound of pepper.
Ain't heard me that one before. 👍

On topic. Tinkerers going to tinker. For BR autos it might amount to something. For the HP ammo I shoot at varmints and game.... Although better is superior and all that....

Sure Shot
Old 11-29-2019, 06:09 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Somebody tell me why simply shooting the rifle upside down through a chronograph wouldn't answer the question without fabricating anything? Maybe shoot straight down from an elevated platform and then shoot it straight up! That would put the six o'clock speculation to rest in a hurry. You guys are trying to pick a spec of fly crap out of a pound of pepper.
Most of the things you read on forums are anecdotal. Few people actually get out there and do work, record results and present the results for review. I linked to what I thought was an outstanding experiment and not a whisper. I saw a couple of things that jumped out at me.

I was hoping to shoot through a chronograph next week, I'll see how I feel. I am convinced I am the only person that owns a chronograph on this forum so that may explain why it hasn't been done yet. For all the interest and discussion on the 10/22 forums, I find them to be the least curious about hard data. This forum thrives on anecdote. That's fine, it's fun, but...

Having said that, some people just like to tinker. You?
Old 11-29-2019, 06:12 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/silencer View Post
i am not the best at silver soldering ,but it is a firing pin now.
now all i have to do trim to size, then finish the bolt then test.

Greg
You're going to scallop the face into a 12 o'clocl/6 o'clock strike leaving the center unsupported, right?

If so, check the rear of the cases for pressure signs. I doubt there will be any.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:21 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Most of the things you read on forums are anecdotal. Few people actually get out there and do work, record results and present the results for review. I linked to what I thought was an outstanding experiment and not a whisper. I saw a couple of things that jumped out at me.

I was hoping to shoot through a chronograph next week, I'll see how I feel. I am convinced I am the only person that owns a chronograph on this forum so that may explain why it hasn't been done yet. For all the interest and discussion on the 10/22 forums, I find them to be the least curious about hard data. This forum thrives on anecdote. That's fine, it's fun, but...

Having said that, some people just like to tinker. You?
Well, the pay's nothing to write home about but it's honest work Bigbore

I love a good gedanken experiment and this thread is certainly thought provoking.

I suspect that a simple consumer chronograph will not have the precision necessary to differentiate the slight ignition timing differences between firing pin locations but am certainly willing to wait and let your data tell the story.

Got me thinking about a full rim firing pin like a bushing. Take a heckuva spring to crush the full circumference but it'd cut down on FTFs.

Good fun, thanks for the brain food, looking forward to nit picking your results

Frank the armchair theorist
Old 11-29-2019, 09:38 AM
scooter22

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Last edited by scooter22; 11-30-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Ray1946
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! With the 12 and 6 o;clock positions, the only way your going to have consistant;even ignition is to hold the rifle perpendicular to the ground so that all the powder in the case is back against the primer. Centerfire, lead bullet shooters have been doing this for years to get the reduced powder charge resting against the primer, then slowly lowering the rifle into a parallel position to fire at the target.

With 3 and 9 o;clock position this would not be needed because the powder would be ignited from both sides of the case where the primer impact is directly behind a powder charge.................
Old 11-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Just waking up from my turkey induced coma and had another thought. We should try and contact someone in China. They're down on the other side of the world so things should be upside down from us right ? So wouldn't they're powder already be at the 12 O'clock position all the time? Now wheres that turkey leg..........
You would probably get more co-operation from somebody in New Zealand or Australia. I think they are still allowed to own .22lr rifles.

Nolan
Old 11-29-2019, 04:51 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Last edited by scooter22; 11-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:15 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! With the 12 and 6 o;clock positions, the only way your going to have consistant;even ignition is to hold the rifle perpendicular to the ground so that all the powder in the case is back against the primer. Centerfire, lead bullet shooters have been doing this for years to get the reduced powder charge resting against the primer, then slowly lowering the rifle into a parallel position to fire at the target.

With 3 and 9 o;clock position this would not be needed because the powder would be ignited from both sides of the case where the primer impact is directly behind a powder charge.................
You are kidding I hope. Maybe you can document how long in milliseconds it takes for the priming compound to burn from the top of the case to the bottom. This whole conversation is a joke. To bad not many of you recognize it as a joke.It's pretty tough to reinvent a wheel.

Last edited by GH41; 12-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM
scooter22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Last edited by scooter22; 11-30-2019 at 05:47 PM.