Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
Although it's being done in some benchrest rifles, the jury is still out. I think a lot of Bill Calfee but he does have some theories that are wrong. What you ar talking about is a 10/22, not a $3000 benchrest rifle. There are a lot better ways to improve the precision of a 10/22 that are known to work than a 6 o';clock firing pin.
We too are in agreement.

The benchrest 6 o'clock ignition designs, bolt guns? While I agree that there are other places to start, people seem almost obsessive about this topic. Do you have a concise summary and opinion about the current state of the results? I think this design is simple and quite plausible. Did you read my test on pinning? Quite a bit of fur left on ground during that one.

I enjoyed Calfee's book but like talk radio, there was as much entertainment as fact in hindsight. I didn't take everything to the bank.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
It should be easy enough and I have read about a few double strike designs. I think it would be interesting to try 6 o'clock first and see if a quantifiable difference can be observed. My hope is two ignition sources wouldn't be needed if you light the bottom of the powder pile.
From the varmint hunter consumerís prospective, Iíd be interested in the dual strike bolt for reliability. How many times have you had a failure to fire with a good strike, rotate the cartridge and it fires with the second good strike? If there is a rat in the chicken coop, I want that gun to go bang every time. A FTF could mean another dead chicken and time spent looking for the ejected live cartridge so the chickens donít eat it.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
I actually though about the unsupported case and I'm not sure its an issue. Were an engineer to declare it one, the protrusion that strikes the case could be sized so that the face of the pin supports the case until bolt movement starts. The case would show clear signs of pressure and there should be no risk to the shooter.
If the firing pin supports the case, would it make the gun a slam fire action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
From the varmint hunter consumer’s prospective, I’d be interested in the dual strike bolt for reliability. How many times have you had a failure to fire with a good strike, rotate the cartridge and it fires with the second good strike? If there is a rat in the chicken coop, I want that gun to go bang every time. A FTF could mean another dead chicken and time spent looking for the ejected live cartridge so the chickens don’t eat it.
I have to confess I didn't think of that. It would probably require a stronger hammer spring though and then we open a huge can of worms with action reliability.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (104)
This is a good idea, and could not hurt accuracy, but my thoughts are is the 22 long rifle cartridge capable of enough accuracy to warrant the mod ? I am not sure, I do however have a modified firing pin in mine that strikes inside the case rim, it works..but cant tell that it helped accuracy any, although theres not much left of the pin when done on a 10/22 if goes off every time. Interesting post. Good luck with it.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
If the firing pin supports the case, would it make the gun a slam fire action?
It would be the face above the point that strikes the rim. Travel will be stopped at the bolt face by the firing pin retaining pin.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the priming compound is in the entire circumference of the rim, wouldn't the powder ignite around the entire circumference as well?
Old 10-28-2019, 12:00 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A lot of open bolt 22 from the 50s and 60s
Had two pins machine in to the bolt for that same
Reason. Are you past the concepts stage, and
Do you have a working prototype to test?

Thanks Greg

Last edited by 22/silencer; 10-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/silencer View Post
Are you past the concepts stage, and
Do you have a working prototype to test?

Thanks Greg
No prototype. I thought I would run this by the forum and get information on what has been done. As stated in the thread earlier, it is being tested by the benchrest group which I don't follow. If there is a good thread about the subject I would read it. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so getting input is always a good first step.

This seems easy enough to do, the highest cost being a sacrificial bolt.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
If the priming compound is in the entire circumference of the rim, wouldn't the powder ignite around the entire circumference as well?
Ignition isn't the goal, optimal ignition is. At least in theory. I don't see much disagreement about the current state of reliability.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
Unfortunately, as pointed out by RCGuy50 in his post above, the priming compound is NOT always distributed around the entire circumference of the rim as it is supposed to be. Many times over the years, with a bolt gun, I have had a misfire and had fine ignition by rotating the cartridge and trying again. We will never know how many cartridges all of us have fired over the years that ignited simply because the firing pin missed the gap in the primer compound and hence went bang, but we sure know when it finds the gap and misfired. My interest in a 6 o'clock/12 o'clock strike is simply for reliable ignition; if it yields any accuracy improvement at times, that would be a bonus, but not a necessity.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:33 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the idea of 12 and 6 fireing pin hits
Would you mind if I try your idea . Or do
You plan to do a service on this?

Thanks Greg
Old 10-28-2019, 01:33 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Glad you're back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Work, life, a little burned out, thanks for asking... I really didn't mean to be snarky just couldn't think of a way to ask w/out putting in the caveat.
I enjoy reading your posts. Glad you returned.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:35 PM
22/silencer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could try it on a 17hm2 to see if it would
Over pressure the base of the rim and dent.

Thanks Greg
Old 10-28-2019, 01:37 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yeah, I'd say if you're going to the trouble of modifying the bolt for a 6 o'clock hit, go ahead and make two custom firing pins...one with just a 6 o'clock tip and one with a 6 and 12 o'clock

then test to see if there is any difference at all