Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:31 PM
BretJenkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fail to fire/extract

Recently shot an NRL22 comp with my Ruger CSC 10/22. Had an issue every couple stages where I had a failed to fire. When I would pull charging handle to rear, the unfired round would remain in the chamber. I would release bolt and could fire the round which would then extract properly. I had changed the guide rod spring with the -10% Kidd spring in anticipation of using subsonic ammo, CCI Standard... I am thinking the spring does not have the oomph to fully seat the round on an already tight chamber and engage the extractor. Sound plausible? I am changing the spring back to the standard spring to test the theory.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:56 PM
outbreaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretJenkins View Post
Recently shot an NRL22 comp with my Ruger CSC 10/22. Had an issue every couple stages where I had a failed to fire. When I would pull charging handle to rear, the unfired round would remain in the chamber. I would release bolt and could fire the round which would then extract properly. I had changed the guide rod spring with the -10% Kidd spring in anticipation of using subsonic ammo, CCI Standard... I am thinking the spring does not have the oomph to fully seat the round on an already tight chamber and engage the extractor. Sound plausible? I am changing the spring back to the standard spring to test the theory.
Several issues come to mind that I have dealt with.

failure to extract

1. Match cut barrels. My Bentz chamber will never allow an unfired round to extract unless it is freshly cleaned. Once 5-10 rounds season the barrel it will not extract.

2. This is with the "Tuned" extractors.

Failure to fire

1. Temperature

2. With CCI Standard Vel target I have had several that were to long or large to fully chamber without shoving them in battery. This is with the Kidd +10%

Just my observations.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get either the Volquartsen extractor/firing pin combo or the similar KIDD combo and your troubles will be over.
If you go KIDD, might as well get their bolt buffer and trigger housing pins too as they're not that expensive.

I had a terrible time with extraction problems with my competition 10/22; I got the Volquartsen extractor/firing pin combo and problem solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 PM
outbreaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Get either the Volquartsen extractor/firing pin combo or the similar KIDD combo and your troubles will be over.
If you go KIDD, might as well get their bolt buffer and trigger housing pins too as they're not that expensive.

I had a terrible time with extraction problems with my competition 10/22; I got the Volquartsen extractor/firing pin combo and problem solved.
I tried that and it still will not extract unfired rounds from my Bentz chamber.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:25 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreaker View Post
I tried that and it still will not extract unfired rounds from my Bentz chamber.
In that case, try SK ammo.
If that doesn't work, it definitely needs to be returned to Ruger as it's probably a hopeless case.
No offense meant just the way it goes sometimes.
Guys on S.H. had to return a bunch of the early ones because of extraction and chambering problems.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 PM
BretJenkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SK was my next option. Extracts just fine after recycling the bolt. Happened 6 times over 10 stages of 10 rounds each so I am leaning towards it being an ammo QC issue. It was also 45 degrees and windy...
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
SK was my next option. Extracts just fine after recycling the bolt. Happened 6 times over 10 stages of 10 rounds each so I am leaning towards it being an ammo QC issue. It was also 45 degrees and windy...
I would just send it back to Ruger. No point in trying better ammo. If you already tried a VQ extractor and are still having problems then it's probably the rifle itself. You shouldn't have that kind of FTE rate with any 10/22, assuming that it's not dirty. One other thing when switching to the VQ extractor it is recommended that you keep the OEM extractor spring installed.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
How many rounds thru it? Do you/have you ever scrubbed the Chamber?
Old 01-22-2020, 07:55 AM
outbreaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
In that case, try SK ammo.
If that doesn't work, it definitely needs to be returned to Ruger as it's probably a hopeless case.
No offense meant just the way it goes sometimes.
Guys on S.H. had to return a bunch of the early ones because of extraction and chambering problems.
All ammo, it is a Bentz match chamber. Replacement barrel. Not the stock barrel, that would eat anything, but would not hold the groups I wanted.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:01 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
why are you guys focusing in on the failure to extract loaded rounds, when the real issue is the failure to fire that round? Just about every barrel I have has the "warning unfired rounds may not eject" stamped into them

scrub the chamber really well, as Chaser recommended, and put the heavier recoil spring in to try for 100% ignition rate
Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 AM
outbreaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
why are you guys focusing in on the failure to extract loaded rounds, when the real issue is the failure to fire that round? Just about every barrel I have has the "warning unfired rounds may not eject" stamped into them

scrub the chamber really well, as Chaser recommended, and put the heavier recoil spring in to try for 100% ignition rate
Only time I really have a failure to fire issue is with old ammo or if the temperature gets below 40 degrees.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:45 AM
BretJenkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
How many rounds thru it? Do you/have you ever scrubbed the Chamber?
I have 400 rounds (mostly CCI Standard) through it but have never scrubbed the chamber. Define "scrubbed". Closest has been running a bore snake through it...😄
Old 01-22-2020, 10:48 AM
BretJenkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post

This...👍

Going to try to get to range this weekend.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
I have 400 rounds (mostly CCI Standard) through it but have never scrubbed the chamber. Define "scrubbed". Closest has been running a bore snake through it...😄
Bret.. the best way/EZ and effective is with a bent brush and some Hoppes#9.. With problematic chambers it's a real good idea to stuff a 22 cal. patch that is soaked with Hoppes#9 or any good carbon cutter into the chamber and leave it for a few hours..leave a corner sticking out so you can get it pulled back out .. after some soak time pull the patch out then scrub with wet brush and mop .. then chase/pull all the crud out with 3 or 4 pulls with the B. Snake.. use Hoppes#9 at the brush area of the Snake as well.
This lil' gem is what most of us here on RFC use or have built to replicate...
Called the Brush & Mop .. scroll down on this page.. Gunsmither tools are fantastic!

https://gunsmithertools.com/

Also.. another tip ... anything Metal to Metal needs good lube - not OIL or Goopy lube .. the best on the market for these 10/Tweekie2's is Hornady One Shot Dry Lube.. clean surfaces real well 1st and then spray it on Bolt, Rod, inside the Receiver and let it dry.. don't wipe... Viola! Slick as a Seals Arss and will NOT create MUD filth in the action. Get the action slicked up and see the difference.. it is amazing.

AND.. check to make sure your extractor is aligned perfectly into the barrel slot.. it happens often Gents do not get that aligned properly when seating their new barrel.

Also.. a good scrub inside the Receiver sure helps ... read up.. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ht=CrotchBrite

Last edited by Chaser; 01-22-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:02 PM
BretJenkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Quote:
Bret.. the best way/EZ and effective is with a bent brush and some Hoppes#9.. With problematic chambers it's a real good idea to stuff a 22 cal. patch that is soaked with Hoppes#9 or any good carbon cutter into the chamber and leave it for a few hours..leave a corner sticking out so you can get it pulled back out .. after some soak time pull the patch out then scrub with wet brush and mop .. then chase/pull all the crud out with 3 or 4 pulls with the B. Snake.. use Hoppes#9 at the brush area of the Snake as well.
This lil' gem is what most of us here on RFC use or have built to replicate...
Called the Brush & Mop .. scroll down on this page.. Gunsmither tools are fantastic!

https://gunsmithertools.com/

Also.. another tip ... anything Metal to Metal needs good lube - not OIL or Goopy lube .. the best on the market for these 10/Tweekie2's is Hornady One Shot Dry Lube.. clean surfaces real well 1st and then spray it on Bolt, Rod, inside the Receiver and let it dry.. don't wipe... Viola! Slick as a Seals Arss and will NOT create MUD filth in the action. Get the action slicked up and see the difference.. it is amazing.

AND.. check to make sure your extractor is aligned perfectly into the barrel slot.. it happens often Gents do not get that aligned properly when seating their new barrel.

Also.. a good scrub inside the Receiver sure helps ... read up.. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ht=CrotchBrite
Have only ever used dry lube on most of my rifles after cleaning with good old Ballistol. I am really thinking it is a recoil spring issue combined with the documented dislike of CCI Standard ammo. Apparently, this particular model has a match chamber that has a dislike for it. Just need to get to the range and see.