Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Modified firing pin for 6 Oclock Ignition

Think it would work? The bolt could probably have the radius cut with a carbide slotting wheel. A prototype firing pin could be made from tool steel similar to a knife blank.

Just a concept, not a final design.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This might be a little more elegant and easier to cut into the bolt:

Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 AM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you're going to that much trouble, I would go to a double impact point, 6 & 12 o'clock. Add or leave (depending on your point of view) a firing pin protrusion at the top (12 o'clock). The Freedom Arms pistols have a firing pin that hits at 12 & 6 o'clock. I think the Ruger action has enough hammer impact for it.

Nolan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
If you're going to that much trouble, I would go to a double impact point, 6 & 12 o'clock. Add or leave (depending on your point of view) a firing pin protrusion at the top (12 o'clock). The Freedom Arms pistols have a firing pin that hits at 12 & 6 o'clock. I think the Ruger action has enough hammer impact for it.

Nolan
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There's no way to ask this without appearing 'snarky' however I have 2 questions:
1. For 56 years and 6-7 Million examples (plus clones) the 10/22 has worked just fine with 12 o'clock ignition.
2. What's the point of 6 o'clock ignition?

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Two questions.. Wouldn't losing case support over the slot be an issue? At what point would increasing the weight of the firing pin require increasing FP and hammer spring rates?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
There's no way to ask this without appearing 'snarky' however I have 2 questions:
1. For 56 years and 6-7 Million examples (plus clones) the 10/22 has worked just fine with 12 o'clock ignition.
2. What's the point of 6 o'clock ignition?
Snarky is fine, I was hoping someone would ask.

Of all the ignition schemes I've seen, 6 o'clock is the one that intuitively makes sense to me, I think I read about it in Bill Calfee's book. The theory is that there may be empty space in the cartridge at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock insures the ignition occurs at a location guaranteed to ignite the maximum amount of powder.

I don't know how much of the case volume is empty in the different brands and styles of rimfire cartridges but 6 o'clock ignition makes it unnecessary to even consider.

Good to see you posting, you've been scarce lately.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Two questions.. Wouldn't losing case support over the slot be an issue? At what point would increasing the weight of the firing pin require increasing FP and hammer spring rates?
I actually though about the unsupported case and I'm not sure its an issue. Were an engineer to declare it one, the protrusion that strikes the case could be sized so that the face of the pin supports the case until bolt movement starts. The case would show clear signs of pressure and there should be no risk to the shooter.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post

Nolan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
It should be easy enough and I have read about a few double strike designs. I think it would be interesting to try 6 o'clock first and see if a quantifiable difference can be observed. My hope is two ignition sources wouldn't be needed if you light the bottom of the powder pile.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:36 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Work, life, a little burned out, thanks for asking... I really didn't mean to be snarky just couldn't think of a way to ask w/out putting in the caveat.

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 10-28-2019, 10:06 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
At what point would increasing the weight of the firing pin require increasing FP and hammer spring rates?
A way to avoid this issue is to take the TandemKross approach and make the firing pin out of Titanium. It will be lighter than the factory steel firing pin.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post

Of all the ignition schemes I've seen, 6 o'clock is the one that intuitively makes sense to me, I think I read about it in Bill Calfee's book. The theory is that there may be empty space in the cartridge at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock insures the ignition occurs at a location guaranteed to ignite the maximum amount of powder.

I don't know how much of the case volume is empty in the different brands and styles of rimfire cartridges but 6 o'clock ignition makes it unnecessary to even consider.

I understand the 6-12 o'clock thoughts but the priming compound in a 22LR covers the full circumference of the case bottom. Does it really matter where you impact it? Have you ever shot a snake with a 10/22? Did the gun go off? I don't doubt ignition would occur quicker with the FP submerged in powder but I think you would have a heck of a time measuring the difference. Before I put a lot of effort into a prototype bolt would conduct a simple experiment.. Alternate firing upside down and rightside up across a good chronograph.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
A way to avoid this issue is to take the TandemKross approach and make the firing pin out of Titanium. It will be lighter than the factory steel firing pin.
I will speculate that the amount of additional material is inconsequential.

My goals were to make it simple and backward compatible with the current design. It is not a radical departure from the current design like a cylindrical internal firing pin, which I personally consider a superior design but I'm dancing with the girl I brung.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I understand the 6-12 o'clock thoughts but the priming compound in a 22LR covers the full circumference of the case bottom. Does it really matter where you impact it? Have you ever shot a snake with a 10/22? Did the gun go off? I don't doubt ignition would occur quicker with the FP submerged in powder but I think you would have a heck of a time measuring the difference. Before I put a lot of effort into a prototype bolt would conduct a simple experiment.. Alternate firing upside down and rightside up across a good chronograph.
I'm in complete agreement with you, especially about the difference it will make. It would be easy to test with a 10/22 by shooting it upside down over a chronograph.

The main points are: We're just having fun with it and I'm only hoping to sell half as many as the pinned firing pin market--head down!

I am serious though, I'm not trolling. IIRC, Calfee thought it deserved serious consideration.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Although it's being done in some benchrest rifles, the jury is still out. I think a lot of Bill Calfee but he does have some theories that are wrong. What you ar talking about is a 10/22, not a $3000 benchrest rifle. There are a lot better ways to improve the precision of a 10/22 that are known to work than a 6 o';clock firing pin.