Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 PM
1984Landcruiser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FN Mauser .22 trainer with Israeli markings

A few months ago I found something interesting at a gun show in Cheyenne, WY. It is a single shot Mauser training rifle chambered in .22 and was made by FN in Belgium for Israel in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Here are a few pictures and I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on it. The metal is in great shape except at the end of the barrel where the finish is worn. The stock shows its age, and has some oil or cosmoline soaked in that has turned parts of it darker. After taking this to the range, I can state that it is very accurate with the iron sights and it is easy to load. The bolt design is quite interesting to see, so I added some pictures of it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1984Landcruiser; 03-30-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:10 AM
MK111
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Nice rifle.
I have the same model. I believe FN made 1000 for Israel in 1952. At that time FN also made 1000 for the Belgian Army and Navy. I also have one of those models.
Plus I think FN made some for South Africa and not sure of the number made.

Last edited by MK111; 04-02-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 AM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
These were made in 1952. As MkIII said, only around 1000 were made by FN. I also have one and I have a Belgian as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! I have one also, it will be one of the last guns I'll ever sell. Take it to the range, mount the bayonet and have fun!
Old 05-25-2018, 02:51 AM
Phatforrest

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Neat piece of history!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 AM
SFAL
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful....love these old school .22's.....didnt know these were made....will have to keep an eye out for one
have fun with it
al
Old 06-07-2018, 02:36 PM
kp321

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you find one, jump on it quickly. As already said, only 1000 were made and who knows how many have been imported. I bought the only one I have ever seen for sale.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The OP's has a fine example of these Israeli FN .22 Training rifles. Much nicer and less used/abused than my well used example. I suspect that most of these rifles didn't spend too much time in some Israeli Arsenal's storage racks:-)

Two other things of note:

1. I do not believe FN made any .22 Training rifles for SOUTH AFRICA although they did make a thousand, or so for the troops in the BELGIUM CONGO. I'm not sure if any of these BELGIUM CONGO FN Training Rifles have ever been imported to the States in any significant quantity since I have never seen any examples other than in Anthony Vanderlinden's book "FN Mauser Rifles".

2. There are two flavors of these Israel .22 Mauser training rifles. The first ones were the purpose built rifles produced by FN under contract to Israel, as shown by the OP in this thread. The other Israeli .22 Mauser training rifles were produced by in-house, Israeli armorers using re-purposed, surplused Mauser rifles and Remington sourced barrels. Both are very interesting, but I believe that the FN examples are much more uncommon.

Last edited by kaynine; 06-08-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These FN Mausers are very well made. I have one of the Israeli .22s, it is one of my most treasured firearms. I also have a 7mm made for Venezuela, it is a mint example, the niter bluing on the bolt release is stunning, a deep indigo blue.

The OP has a rare find, cherish it. There is a lot of history in that rifle.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 AM
kadima
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician

The Great Remains of the Republic of Pisa
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just managed to acquire one of these FN Israeli trainers, pictures will follow. Curiously it has the same dent on the left edge of the feeding ramp that this one has.

Does the rifle posted here has the bolt and receiver numbers matching or are they mismatched like mine is?
Old 05-06-2019, 12:05 PM
1984Landcruiser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadima View Post
Does the rifle posted here has the bolt and receiver numbers matching or are they mismatched like mine is?

Congrats on your find! These things are quite scarce. In answer to your question, yes - mine does have matching bolt and receiver numbers. I cleaned the stock late last summer and let it sit out in the bright sun on several warm days to try and get as much of the oil out of the wood as I could. Here is how it looked when I finished.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:00 AM
can14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FN 22

They made 2000 for Israel and Israel re exported 1000 to South Africa because of the
SA arms embargo.
They are not many parts available for them because they didn't make many.
Gunpartscorp had some parts available. I bought quite a few to complete 20/25 mint
guns that I got out of Israel year's ago. The wood was so oil soaked on some of them that I replaced the wood on all of them with Israeli military wood because of the condition of
the original metal finish.
I have spare bolt head kits to totally rebuild the 22 bolt.on these guns. European craftsmanship
at It's best.
I still have most of the guns because they were part of the last k98's made by FN to survive
in this condition. Even got a consecutive numbered pair of them