Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:57 PM
mbsengsvc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magnum Research MLR 1722 .22WMR

Seeking a .22WMR competition bolt and knowledge of this firearm

What I hope to get shared around in this thread is places to get parts and share knowledge about this rifle specifically. Biggest question I have: Can you adjust the gas block for better weapon performance (cartridge ejection, accuracy, round speed).

I can say the MLR 1722 with carbon fiber barrel is a nail driver; with a bit of tuning it could be a tack driver. The ONLY complaint I have is cartridge ejection; too many stove pipes, fail to eject, etc--seeking immediate solution to this problem.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:52 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't believe you can adjust the rifle. You will find that .22WMR ammo is at best a roll of the dice (precision-wise) I'll wager 99.9% of your issues will be solved when you find the ammo your rifle 'likes'
Old 12-30-2019, 10:12 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
MR - 1722M

Per the Magnum Research 1722 Manual:

The MLR-1722 is chambered for .22 Long Rifle and the MLR 1722M is chambered for .22WMR. The caliber of your rifle is marked on the barrel’s left side.
1722M: Use only .22WMR ammunition (of 40 grains or more) that are manufactured to SAAMI specifications.

The 1722M rifles have a specially designed bolt handle. It is steel, large and barrel-shaped. This bolt handle is the key to successful and safe operation of the .22WMR. It times the action and retards the operation of the bolt appropriately when the rifle is fired.

NEVER FIRE .22WMR AMMUNITION WITHOUT THE SOLID BARREL SHAPED BOLT HANDLE INSTALLED IN THE RIFLE.

The .22WMR bolt handle should NOT be confused with the .22 Long Rifle bolt handle that is similar in shape but has a 1/2” hollow hole in the center.

This rifle has a very small orifice hole in the barrel that equalizes the timing of peak pressure variances in .22WMR ammunition. It is vital to the safe function of your rifle. DO NOT ENLARGE IT.
TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY ALWAYS KEEP THE GAS DISPERSION BLOCK IN PLACE! This block covers the orifice hole.

Now with that said - My 1722M also had a big yellow sticker on the outside of the box stating the requirement of 22 WMR 40 gr (minimum) ammo. I followed up with MR Customer Support on this topic:

Their response was that the warranty has nothing to do with safety or damage to the weapon, and that "firing 30-grain ammo will void the warranty" was 'poor wording'.

The recoil springs in these rifles are meant to cycle with 40-50grn loads, and 30grn loads often do not cycle properly. Rather than "guaranteeing" their rifle will cycle with "any" WMR load out there (i.e., the warranty around sure-function), they basically say "this rifle is not meant to cycle with 30grn ammo, so if it DOESN'T cycle, we're not obligated to fix it". If the rifle wouldn't cycle properly with 40-50grn ammo, they WOULD, however, warranty the rifle and willingly correct the issue.

So no, it's nothing one should worry about, it just means they won't do warranty repairs to get your rifle to reliably cycle 30 grain 22 Mag ammo.

I have shot the following types of 22 WMR ammo in mine with no problems thus far:

Aguila - Silver Eagle - 40 grain - SP - 1,875 fps
CCI - Maxi-Mag - 30 grain - JHP+V - 2,200 fps
CCI - A22 - 35 grain - BT - 2,100 fps
Win - X22HM - 40 grain - JHP - 1,910 fpsg
Win - X22MR1 - 40 grain - FMJ - 1,800 fps

The only upgrade on my MR 1722 & 1722M was the trigger to a Brimstone Tier 2 option. Mine is a walnut thumbhole stock carbon fiber barrel.