Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:23 AM
dogmansb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot recommendations?

I just ordered a Clark barrel for my 1973 Model 41. Clark is currently backordered so it will be a while until they ship. Any recommendations for a red dot? I have never had one or used one. I will use it for punching paper at the range, typically 25 yards and under. I don't need top of the line, just something that works well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:44 AM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At 25 yards and under, the cheap Tasco red dot works perfectly well. The Bushnell TRS-25 is also a good 25 yard and under red dot. Beyong that, the Sig Sauer Model Romeo 5 is a better option and is on sale right now at PSA for $119.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I use the UltraDot MatchDot II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 11:28 AM
Rider

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had a couple of Adco red dots in use for 10 years and have had no issues. They are available at Midway for 100.00 plus. They have 10 dot intensity settings.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:41 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My first choice on my Clark barrel 41 and Nelson Conversion is the UltraDot MD II, both being my 25 yard guns and weigh in at 43 ounces My choice is for weight and balance as much as anything. The MD II's need the polarizing filter at some of my ranges due to sun wash out.

For other .22 shorter range handguns I have standardized on the Holosun 403B. I have several of them right now. The TRS25's I bought sit in a drawer as emergency spares. Big difference in optics quality between the two. bob
Old 04-12-2019, 01:03 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
You're not too specific about cost vs quality, but for the money the Bushnell TRS-25 is very hard to beat. They can be had for around forty bucks right now at a few places. They started out a couple of years ago at over a hundred. I tried two of them and found them to be "OK", but I didn't feel that based on some features they'd keep me happy for the long haul. If you want something that will be good for a long time, get the UltraDot. Lifetime guarantee, good features, and zero parallax. Contrary to popular belief, you can get some parallax in some red dots. It's an easy check to see if it has it or not. The older Bushnells has a bit and I sent two back. I got two newer ones with nearly zero. They fixed something.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:44 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile

My wife gave me a AT3 RD 50 sight for Christmas. I put it on my 10-22, and now am waiting for the weather to get so my old bones are liking it more...then we'll go to the range.
The YouTube video of the dude firing it on his AR 15, then beating the merrie Aitch out of it on the tailgate of his truck was persuasive! Sharp, bright dot, lifetime warranty, easy mount to the Ruger top rail,
I checked out the Bushnell TRS, and the dot was not bad, just less good. Kinda reminiscent of my Burris FF II. Oh, did I mention...I LIKE IT?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM
dogmansb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
You're not too specific about cost vs quality

I really wasn't sure what price range would get something pretty decent. It appears a little north or south of $200 is required. Based on suggestions so far, a unit like the Matchdot II or the Holosun would be appropriate. Good information that is much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dear Dogman

I am a bullseye pistol competitor and own a number of red dot sights. I have been competing for a number of decades and feel that I have something to offer for your consideration.

Your first choice is if you want a reflex red dot sight or a tube style red dot sight.

Most of the bullseye shooters use a tube style red dot, while the shoot and scoot guys go for the reflex style sight.

The shoot and scoot people, idpa ipsic etc, they like the reflex because there is less frame to get in the sight picture. They also prefer a larger Lens to pick up the dot at larger angles as they are going from target to target. They also prefer a larger dot, 6moa, 8 moa, or even larger.

In the reflex sight, the C-More is the most predominate choice.

The bullseye pistol shooter, putting a premium on accuracy, generally prefer the tube style red dots. I am not sure but I think that I use the side of the tube to align the gun during timed and rapid fire and as such, have not been able to shoot the reflex style sights well.

Furthermore, if you are going for a tube style red dot, you have a choice of tube diameter, 1 inch or 30 mm. (there are a couple 33 mm tubes out there and the old tasco pro point at about 2 inches). Most beginners prefer the 30 mm tube whereas once they have a couple years experience, a one inch tube is preferred.

Then there is dot size. the majority bullseye shooters use either a 2 moa dot or a 4 Moa dot, with 4 moa being slightly more popular.

Now for the recommendations.

aimpoint

Benefits: great visibility, perfect tracking, good warranty durable and work excellent. great battery life. The aimpoint micro H1 is an incredible scope. The 9000 SC is what the army shooters use although it is heavy.

Cons: Expensive and some models can be heavy. hard to find a 4 moa dot. obsolete models are not supported by the factory

Ultra dot:

Pro: Cheaper then an aimpoint, the ultra dot match dot 2 has variable dot sizes, . most ultra dot shooters use the plain old 4 moa ultra dot . perfect tracking

Cons: Some specimens exhibit minor reduction in image size. need to tape and secure polarizing filter. poor battery life but most shooters buy a bunch of batteries to accommodate.

Bushnell TR 25 Cheap and most models offer pretty good tracking but a significant number of them have issues when going from the 25 yard line to the 50 yard line.

Sig Romeo:

I am seeing a number of these on the competition line and most users have positive praise for them.

Holosun: I just purchased one of these for my FWB because I needed a micro size red dot and did not want to go with the expensive aimpoint h1 (which I have on my pardini). only available with 2 moa dot but it has a impressive battery life and turns off automatically. it seams to track really good.

If you can find a old tasco pro point with the external battery tube these scopes are awesome. They were the state of the art 15 years ago and they are still good. 5 moa dot and the battery lasts a long time when you forget to turn it off. External battery tube might not work on some installations.

I have not mentioned a number of red dots because I have not had a good enough experience to recommend them. poor tracking, unable to zero, unable to hold zero, dot intensity varies or pulses, etc.

I would be cautious about trying to economize. I have assisted a number of new shooters with a more economical red dot trying to get it installed/zeroed only to find that only to find that the limitations of the scope made it unsuitable for bullseye competition.

REgards.
Cranky

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I think it also matters whether the red dot is going to be moving on the slide (reflex) or on a non-sliding part of the receiver (tube). Most reflex sights have less mass and won't adversely affect slide/recoil function. In theory, at least.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:04 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first red dot some 30 years ago was the Tasco. I had several and some had to go back for repair. In years of buying others, I found a few things to be aware of for future red dot purchases:

1). Cheap red dots are not durable enough, generally. Set the minimum budget in the $100 to $200 range.

2). I much prefer tube types over the smaller reflex screen type.

3). I have many UltraDot bottom of the line one inch tube diameter single dot red dot that "just keep on ticking".

4). If you just have to have a screen type be aware of how the batteries are changed. Some require removal of the sight to get to the battery causing re-zeroing.

5). If you just have to have a screen type note how the windage and elevation adjustments are made. Some use opposing screws for windage and no clicks or even indications of how much you change the adjustment.

6). Auto brightness adjustment are useless and always seem to auto pick the wrong brightness level for me. I use the manual brightness control to control the size of the bloomed dot to match the bull size of the target for my range shooting. Note that I do NOT compete so weigh this comment against your shooting requirements.

7). Regardless of the hype, you must put the red dot in the center of the field of view because of parallax. I suppose it could be corrected out optically (??) but if you center the dot then there is none.

8). I think (but am unable to scientifically prove??) that the longer distance between the LED dot and the reflective back side of the tube type optical lens gives more accurate sighting just as a longer sight radius of open sights increases sighting accuracy. Can anyone scientifically validate this opinion?

I have many red dots, mostly the above mention UltraDots (at least half a dozen) and have tried various others including the screen type reflex sights. I keep coming back to the tube type. Also I have found you must pay more than a $100 for any one to get anything close to durable and useful.

We all have different experiences with red dots and this is just mine for my uses.

LDBennett
Old 04-13-2019, 10:03 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Here's how I fit my basic model Ultradot on a S&W Model 41 with a Clark barrel. It has been rock solid:

And here's a test target:

I have also had good luck with the AT3 Tactical which is a copy/version of the Bushnell TRS 25.

I bought the AT3 after seeing a Youtnube video of some reviewer whaling on it with a full plastic water bottle, and then submerging the sight in a bucket of water. It costs about $50 less than an Ultradot v.1, but that's not a reason to get it, IMHO. Don't cheap out on the optic. It is going to have more of an effect on your experience shooting that pistol than anything else, except possibly ammo choice.

Mk IV targets:

Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
On my 41 I have a 1" Ultradot 4MOA. Many of the bullseye shooters use some version of the Ultradot. Plus there is a lifetime warranty.

A couple of my Rugers have 3MOA Vortex Venoms and I really love those little sights. Fired some of best targets ever with the Venoms although my bullseye shooting friend says the tube type is still what is used in competition . Also has a lifetime warranty.

Have a Tasco ProPoint3 from the mid 1990s that is still working. Not sure about any of the Tasco line today.

Quote:
I have also had good luck with the AT3 Tactical which is a copy/version of the Bushnell TRS 25.
Did you have the Ruger drilled and tapped for the mount or did it come that way from the factory? I like the compact size of that tube red dot.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:09 PM
threetwos

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
You're not too specific about cost vs quality, but for the money the Bushnell TRS-25 is very hard to beat. They can be had for around forty bucks right now at a few places. They started out a couple of years ago at over a hundred. I tried two of them and found them to be "OK", but I didn't feel that based on some features they'd keep me happy for the long haul. If you want something that will be good for a long time, get the UltraDot. Lifetime guarantee, good features, and zero parallax. Contrary to popular belief, you can get some parallax in some red dots. It's an easy check to see if it has it or not. The older Bushnells has a bit and I sent two back. I got two newer ones with nearly zero. They fixed something.
Why do so many people say "They can be had for around f right now (fill in the blank for a price) at a few places." without mention any of the places.

I thought we are here to help each other when possible. How does not mentioning where a product is available for the price stated help anyone?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just counted my 14 Ultradots. My favorite is the 1" 4 dot sight. They have been mounted on 45 slides for a long time. No problems. I use the bigger dot settings.