FINALLY warm enough in Minnesota for some ammo testing! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:04 PM
StevieTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FINALLY warm enough in Minnesota for some ammo testing!

It hit 34 degrees F today! Hooray! Time to see how some ammunition works outside in cold weather in a dirty Marlin Model 60 at the 50 yard yange.

The range had one single file path "stepped in" from the parking lot to the range, and one single file path to where the targets are. I should have brought my shovel and I could have done some club volunteering! Next warm day I'll bring it.

2019-03-09-view of the range.jpg

We still have a ton of snow; but finally the temperatures were nice enough to go outside. There is a huge storm coming at any time as I was shooting; the plan was to wait until the snow started, then get out fast and try to outrun it, heading East.

So here we go!

First I started with some Lapua Polar Biathlon; since I figured it was meant for cold weather. I really liked it, it grouped well. In the photo below, it's the bottom group; ignore the flier to the left, that was my first shot of the day (and really in weeks).

Then it was Center X (center target), and finally Pistol King (top). Center X I thought was great right away. Pistol King I initially wasn't impressed with; it seemed like the first few shots were all over. In the end, the grouping was good; it just seemed like my rifle preferred the first two I tried.

In the picture below; top to bottom, it goes "Pistol King, Center X, Biathlon". All are 50 rounds. I dialed in the scope after the Biathlon for somebody else to try my rifle, so it was harder to shoot the center X and pistol king groups, because they were shooting out my aim point.
lapua pistol king - center x - biathalon2.jpg

Finally, I did some CCI standard (not sure how many rounds), and I sent 50 rounds of Federal Automatch down range! Actually it was 14 * 5, so that means 70 rounds! In the target below, CCI standard is on top; automatch is in the middle.

How did I like the Federal Automatch? Initially, the first few shots seemed OK! However, the more rounds I sent downrange, the worse it got. The fliers seemed like they were all over the place. It also jammed more than any other kind of the day. Second place in failure to cycle was CCI standard; my rifle almost didn't like to cycle it... but it mostly did. Usually I just had to rack it back; occasionally I had a failure to eject with a stuck case.

cci standard - federal automatch2.jpg

NOTE: Nothing about this test was fair to any of the participants. With a dirty rifle, the inconsistencies could be all my fault.

Oh yeah, for scale, here is a dime and a quarter. If you look to the right of the Lapua targets, you'll see an IR 50/50 edge. Here's coins on that edge, that you can then see relative to the glow target.
for scale.jpg

So in summary; when I'm done with the Automatch, I likely will not purchase any more. I liked the pistol king fine... it just didn't shine for me today. Maybe I should start clean and try one more time. I really liked the Polar Biathlon and Center X. The CCI standard also shot well; I'd like to try that again after a cleaning to see if it cycles better.

Today, based on nothing other than my feelings, I choose the winner to be Polar Biathlon; closely followed by Center X, then Pistol King, CCI Standard, and finally Federal Automatch.

Last edited by StevieTimes; 03-09-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:09 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Marlin 60 is temperamental with lubed SV ammo.
Cold and wax cause feeding/extraction problems.
Slender nosed hi velocity 22lr chamber easier and cycle better.

I'm not as tough as you are....cold.....ice....snow..... Minnesota, brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited by jaia; 03-09-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:20 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Goodonya, Stevie!
It isnt a bad idea to have your aim point be a bit away from the poi, you dont shoot out your defining point that way and often makes the groups 'tighten up' some.
Btw, what distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good ammo burning report Stevie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I'm not as tough as you are....cold.....ice....snow..... Minnesota, brrrrrrrrrrrrr!
We've had over 200" of snow @ my locale this year and trudging 200yds to change a target not so popular.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:24 PM
StevieTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One more for scale:
scale2.jpg

Compared to how cold it's been, 34 felt fine! I was very bundled up though.

It felt great just to get outside and shoot again!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM
StevieTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Goodonya, Stevie!
It isnt a bad idea to have your aim point be a bit away from the poi, you dont shoot out your defining point that way and often makes the groups 'tighten up' some.
Btw, what distance?
Right! At first I had that going on; then I dialed in the scope for somebody else to shoot, and then my subsequent tests blasted out my aim point!

Thanks for asking, I forgot to say; just 50 yards.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:44 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Steve- I envsion you trudging out there in 34 degrees. It was raining here then but since changed over to snow. I sit here w the R1 leaning against the window and wait for the snow to melt. Enjoyed your report. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Shooter92

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where is this range

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM
seaswol
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Snow Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Good ammo burning report Stevie.

We've had over 200" of snow @ my locale this year and trudging 200yds to change a target not so popular.
Last summer we spent 5 weeks in MI. Snowmobiles waiting for winter everywhere. So you mean that every range in MI doesn't have its designated snowmobile for changing out targets in the Winter?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Public Service Announcement:
The range will be open for summer shooting the week before and the week after the 4th of July.
Mosquito nets are highly recommended.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswol View Post
Last summer we spent 5 weeks in MI. Snowmobiles waiting for winter everywhere. So you mean that every range in MI doesn't have its designated snowmobile for changing out targets in the Winter?
They're either parked at a bar working up enough of a buzz to try and mow down maple trees @ speed or else ice fishing. 1/2 truth
Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM
StevieTimes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter92 View Post
Where is this range

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's called the Gopher Campfire Conservation Club; way out west of the Twin Cities metro area.
http://gophercampfire.com/

It's a very peaceful place; in the spring/summer/fall, it's pretty and lots of sounds of nature when you're out there.