Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:14 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Red Dot vs Black Dot

I recently got my first red dot sight, Matchdot II, it works great but the dot is not a dot to me, but an irregular shape. I'm told that's due to astigmatism in my eyes, but none of my glasses take care of the problem. I shoot with the 2 minute dot on the lowest brightness setting to minimize the effect and it certainly works better for me than any conventional front/rear sights.
The question is why is the red dot blurred when the black dots in my rifle scopes are distinct dots, and is there a non illuminated dot sight that I can put on a handgun that might work better for me?
Old 03-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are prism m scopes that are black with out power. I don't know if any are small enough to go on a pistol. The prism works with or without power because the reticle or dot is etched on the glass. I have one on an AR15. I decided it was a good idea because you can use it even with a dead battery. As for the "star" effect of the red dot, you can still shoot accurately with it but it is distracting.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same issue and also have a prism red dot sight that works for me on an AR15. I have the vortex spitfire 1X prism optic and while it works great for people with astigmatism it does not work any further away than 7 or 8 inches. where a red dot has unlimited eye relief so no good on a pistol. can you take your red dot with you to the eye doctor? mine let me take one in and while they examined my eyes they let me hold it out in front of the machine you look through to test your eyes and they dialed in different lens options till I found one that worked with the red dot. you might try that if they will let you.

the only other option I think is to try something like a Trijicon RMR with the triangle reticle. I have a mepro M21 with the triangle reticle and it is perfect to my eyes but their dot reticle is slightly blurry to me. I don't know if its the shape of the triangle or what but it works for me and the RMR is very similar in design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone gunman View Post
I have the same issue and also have a prism red dot sight that works for me on an AR15. I have the vortex spitfire 1X prism optic and while it works great for people with astigmatism it does not work any further away than 7 or 8 inches. where a red dot has unlimited eye relief so no good on a pistol. can you take your red dot with you to the eye doctor? mine let me take one in and while they examined my eyes they let me hold it out in front of the machine you look through to test your eyes and they dialed in different lens options till I found one that worked with the red dot. you might try that if they will let you.
I did that with my eye doc after asking her first. She's a dreamboat and I put my magic ways upon her. I had problems with astigmatism and a very fine duplex. All fixed and new single plane shooting glasses. $$
Old 03-06-2019, 05:37 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I use an aperture of some type on my glasses like a Merit adjustable aperture or even stick on types and the dot is once again like it was when my eyes used to be 20/20.

In the past few years I have picked up a few old Burris 1X Gil Hebard bullseye scopes with target dot and these give me a crystal clear dot and image and have shot some of my best targets using them. They are only on the used market now but a great scope for aging eyes.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:13 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four52 shooter View Post
I use an aperture of some type on my glasses like a Merit adjustable aperture or even stick on types and the dot is once again like it was when my eyes used to be 20/20.
Do they make anything like that which would screw onto the ocular of the scope. They make camera filters which work well.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Do they make anything like that which would screw onto the ocular of the scope.
Never seen anything like that. I would try some kind of aperture device that attaches to the lens of your glasses , the stick on/peel off version is not expensive and makes a big difference (at least for me) in presenting a nice round dot.

The Merit device is expensive but the aperture is adjustable and I even use it at times for open sight shooting.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Merit seems to be no longer in business as of this past fall anyway when a friend tried contacting them.
Interesting idea of a 'pinhole device' for the ocular bell.
Experiment with what size pinhole you need to get clarity, if you actually can, by using some different sized holes in stiff paper held at the ocular bell.
Then try finding some kind of plastic jar lid that is a push fit onto your scope ocular bell. Match a center drilled hole in it with your card and give it a go.
If you cant find a snug fitting cap but one is close you could tape it down with some black plastic electricians tape. Quick & dirty but effective for trials
Old 03-06-2019, 09:02 PM
R1150r
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have astigmatism and this greatly improved the dot roundness for me:

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...tions&item=390
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
can anyone explain, in laymans terms, how an aperture on the glasses corrects the shape of the dot?