Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm mag pressures

I talked with Carson Lilja several weeks ago and asked him if they would make a 5mm mag barrel for the CZ 455. He said they would if there were enough people to place an order. I don't know what that means in real numbers - 25, 50, 100, ?. My questions for you that have experience with the 5mm mag is what are the real pressures generated? I believe that the 22 mag and 17hmr are in the neighborhood of 26,000 and the 5mm rmr on Wiki says it is not to exceed 33,000. I am sure that they could feed from either a 22 mag or a 17hmr magazine. One of the two should work don't you think? Burt
Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It won't work without ammo though. That said my informal testing in modeling clay revealed great penetration and expansion.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Although I'd prefer it in a 527 American type action, my 452 is doing fine with the 5mm pressures (so far). Like Al said, no ammo is the biggest issue, and it would need a reliable magazine feeding system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eric, do I understand that you put a custom 5mm mag on a 452 action? If so, was it a 22lr or a 22mag/17hmr donor action? I would think that a 22mag or 17hmr magazine would feed the 5mm mag just fine. Burt
PS - call me silly, but I am optimistic that some ammo is coming soon.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:48 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
Eric, do I understand that you put a custom 5mm mag on a 452 action? If so, was it a 22lr or a 22mag/17hmr donor action? I would think that a 22mag or 17hmr magazine would feed the 5mm mag just fine. Burt
PS - call me silly, but I am optimistic that some ammo is coming soon.
It was a CZ Scout in .22 Long Rifle, which I put into a full sized aftermarket CZ stock. We tested the 17HMR and 22Mag magazines, but we had to enlarge the width of the magazine to fit the wider 5mm round. After doing so, it would not fit into the metal magazine well properly. We discussed modifications with an aftermarket company, but they did not feel the project would be worthwhile.

Soon afterwards, when we started working on version 2.0, the 5mm ammo started to dry up and the 17WSM was announced a year, or so, later. We gave up after that.

More info here: http://5mmforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/532-the-cz-5mm-rimfire-scout-functioning-prototype/