Why shoot silhouettes? - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

In the words of J.F.K. "We choose to do it, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
Old 08-25-2018, 05:12 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I've created a Google calendar with all the silhouette matches in the state of Texas (at least the ones I can find).

https://tinyurl.com/y7nagatc

If anyone knows who the contact person would be for the Haltom City matches I would love to add that info to the listing. Their website doesn't seem to offer that info unless you're a member of the club with a login and password.
The contact for Haltom City's 2nd Saturday silhouette Match is Jerry Boydstun. [email protected]

There are also matches at the Arlington gun club on 1st Saturdays, and the Dallas gun club on 4th Saturdays.

Arlington contact:
Chris Webster
[email protected]

Dallas contact:
Kimball Markwardt
[email protected]

All of these are open to the public. They are lever action matches, but will allow any 22 to shoot for fun.

Last edited by CamP; 08-25-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
This is exactly what our club in Yuma has been doing for the last 18 years or so. 1/2 scale tartets. No equipment rules except .22 rimfire only, otherwise shoot what you bring. No time limit, no rules Nazi's , no classifications, no first place winners, no last place no prizes, no scores announced, just shoot for fun. We have a weekly Friday morning shoot and get 25-40 shooters.
When I ran it at my local club, I tried it both ways. ie. Run buy the rules and then (much ) less formal. I figured if we went less formal, we wold get more shooters interested as they would be less intimidated. What I found in the end that it was best to keep most of the formalities in place. ( Timing, formal line calling, trophy's, etc.) as it added a layer of interest for new shooters. What I also found is that when we took the competitive "feel" out of it, we lost interest and attendance for our more experienced (and mentoring shooters.)

Oddly enough a similar experiment with the clubs winter air pistol silhouette league yielded the same results with a different batch of shooters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 10:13 AM
41B
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't read the entire post - so this may be old info.
Lever Action Silhouette draws a larger group of shooters. If you look at the numbers from the nations this summer (2018) you'll see that lever gun matches were attended more than other small bore matches.
We too suffer from a lack of youth. It is mostly a seniors game - grey hair is no advantage in Lever Guns.
We shoot at 40/50/75 & 100 yards/meters at the Hunter's Pistol targets. "Open" sights only (Peep or Buckhorn).
I believe one can get into Lever Gun Silhouette with less expense that any other form of silhouette.
-Another .02 cents worth-
Michael
Old 10-20-2018, 11:08 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
When I ran it at my local club, I tried it both ways. ie. Run buy the rules and then (much ) less formal. I figured if we went less formal, we wold get more shooters interested as they would be less intimidated. What I found in the end that it was best to keep most of the formalities in place. ( Timing, formal line calling, trophy's, etc.) as it added a layer of interest for new shooters. What I also found is that when we took the competitive "feel" out of it, we lost interest and attendance for our more experienced (and mentoring shooters.)

Oddly enough a similar experiment with the clubs winter air pistol silhouette league yielded the same results with a different batch of shooters.
I've seen similar results in other, non shooting, sports that I participate in. You may attract some new people but you lose as many experienced people. The newbies contribute far less to the sport.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 PM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motovita View Post
... The newbies contribute far less to the sport.
But newbies grow up to become "experienced people".

No newbies leads to a dead program.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:30 PM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I'm trying to come up with something to put in our club newsletter and website to get more people to come out for our Smallbore Rifle and Pistol Silhouette matches. We're not getting many shooters to try it and few come back.

Any suggestions? What got you into shooting Silhouettes?
Make it interesting using different targets. Eggs, balloons, pop caps on 2 liter coke bottles (pump them to 100 psi). Make Battleship targets.

Shooting same old steel silhouettes gets boring. Variety is the spice.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 PM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I'm trying to come up with something to put in our club newsletter and website to get more people to come out for our Smallbore Rifle and Pistol Silhouette matches. We're not getting many shooters to try it and few come back.

Any suggestions? What got you into shooting Silhouettes?
Make it interesting using different targets. Eggs, balloons, pop caps on 2 liter coke bottles (pump them to 100 psi). Make Battleship targets.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Shooting same old steel silhouettes gets boring.
I guess it might if I was shooting 40 out or 40 all the time, but I (nor most shooters) don't have that problem. As long as there is a challenge (to improve my results) it is never boring.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:09 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterJ View Post
M

9 rams down and the wind shifts. Certainly not boring.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 AM
motovita

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorneau View Post
But newbies grow up to become "experienced people".

No newbies leads to a dead program.
Agreed, not only new, but also younger, participants are needed. The problem I've seen is that if the experience they gain is of a watered down sport that was slackened to entice them this then becomes the norm in their eyes, and is expected. Gradually those expectations can lead to dumbing down of the sport in other participants eyes.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 AM
ShooterJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
9 rams down and the wind shifts. Certainly not boring.
If you read the OPs issue is NO one is returning. If you want new blood need to come up with different ideas not same old same old.

If everyone thought like you he would have no issues on people coming back but he does.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:10 AM
MajorD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have read most if not all the posts, and have been shooting ( though not silhouette) for decades. The one thing I see across the board is the “ action” type events are attracting all the younger shooters, and there is very limited interest in younger generations of shooters in pretty much anything resembling precision shooting.
I may try my hand at silhouette in the near future, until recently did not have a rifle even remotely appropriate.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:32 AM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am fortunate that both my boys shoot lever action silhouette with me, when they can. They really like it. But, not many junior shooters on the line. Maybe a team category would appeal to young people...if they could get a few friends together. Having the right gun set up is also a big deal. No fun to miss targets because of a poor trigger or searching for sight settings.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When I ran rimfire silhouette at my club I used to tell people that it was as close to their childhood experiences of shooting cans and bottles as they could ever get.

It also helps to advertise that ANY .22 will get you in the game. (i.e no specialized gear needed to get started. (If they like it, the better equipment usually comes shortly.)