Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:26 PM
VA PLINKER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Seems to me a muffler on just about any firearm is a good idea. Might be a little pointless if your at a range where you have to wear ear pro anyway
Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Mike0529

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A suppressed 22 Mag is about as loud as an unsuppressed standard velocity 22LR. Back in the day, almost no one used hearing protection when shooting 22 outdoors, not even kids at camp.

Maybe a better analogy would be that it sounds like a 223 while wearing ear plugs.

A suppressor on a 22 Mag will definitely save your ears while hunting.

Last edited by Mike0529; 07-27-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 PM
critterman

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Smile suppresend 22 wmrf

Well as I stated some loud is way better then real loud, fitted my can to the mag barrel , fired the heavy ammo an was real pleased with the results,even the hot lite stuff is lots quiter . Just to clear the air it isn't un hear able, but it is less then a standard l/r an that was what I wanted a mag that was not magnum loud. My can is just under 12 inches long an 1.1/8 od so it has lots of damping ability . Thanks for all the input ,just wanted to share that it worked the way I wanted it to.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Downunderimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterman View Post
Well as I stated some loud is way better then real loud, fitted my can to the mag barrel , fired the heavy ammo an was real pleased with the results,even the hot lite stuff is lots quiter . Just to clear the air it isn't un hear able, but it is less then a standard l/r an that was what I wanted a mag that was not magnum loud. My can is just under 12 inches long an 1.1/8 od so it has lots of damping ability . Thanks for all the input ,just wanted to share that it worked the way I wanted it to.
Nice
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
30-35 dB

While everyone has a subjective feel for a suppressed 22WMR, 30 to 35 dB is a very significant reduction.

Subjectively, I agree with the fellows that compared the noise to an unsuppressed 22 SV, out of a short barreled rifle...Tom
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 AM
MN22LRFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rifle

Sun Tzu warrior - is your friend's firearm that was just suppressed a pistol or a rifle ? The specs on the 5.7 x 28 look very close to a 22WMR and was wondering why no rifles are chambered for it, that I have seen. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 PM
supersub

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use a sound mod on my sako wmr. I find the rifle a lot quieter for field use with it on and also the flip on the muzzle is also better.

Regards
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Bondo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey guys, new member first post.

I use a can on my rar all the time. It rides in my truck and is used as my squirrel gun. It isn't as quiet as a .22 sub or sub pistol rounds but it is way more pleasant and in my mind hearing safe with the can.

I am using a tac sol axiom can so it is rated for the magnum. I have been shooting the speer gdhps and the 30 gr. Hornady stuff. The gold dots are pretty impressive. They don't explode the squirrel like a .17 but they do drop them hard.

If you have a can and a threaded barrel no reason to ever shoot unsuppressed in my mind.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM
JRexA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a .308 Win, with a supressor.

With the supressor, noice is reduced, to be somewhat between a .22LR Std. Vel, and a .22WMR.

The sound at the ear is actually less than the .22 LR, but the "crack" sounds higher, but as heard from a longer distance. Like if you were 30-50 yards from an unsupressed .22WMR.

The maker of the Supressor says that noise at the ear is below 140db, and it is reasonable safe, against hearing damage.
An unsupressed .22LR with Std. Vel is actually above 140db, even if it "feels" like less.

I was out doing some function testing yesterday, and was shooting at a piece of wood, in the water, around 60 meters out.
The loudest "bang" was when the bullet struck the water.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
JRexA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can shoot my Supressed .308 Win, without hearing protection, and without starting my Tinitus ringing...
That is with Std. Factory Ammo. NOT subsonics (Win 147 grains Target yesterday)

If I shoot an unsupressed .22WMR, then my ears start ringing, after a couple of shots.

I will expect a .22WMR, with a supressor, to be about the same noise, as a Supressed .22LR with Hypervel

That will be ear safe, but by no means silent.

BUT: For long shooting session: Use hearing protection anyway.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure how good the "cans" are that most you all are using but I've got a couple TBAC cans and I've had the opportunity to shoot the Spectre II on some 22mags and 17HMR's, the muzzle blast is nearly completely gone with any of the above mentioned.

Downrange sonic crack is subtle, yet, certainly noticable but that's something you can't get away from in anything, unless you're shooting sub ammo.

So to answer the OP's question, yes, running a suppressor on a 22WMR makes a significant difference and IMO is easily worth it.

Some of these comments make me wonder if they were based on first or second hand information or just something that's your opinion based on nothing else.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best thing about cans, the neighbors think the shot is coming from farther away than it really is.