Any Food Smokers Out There? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 PM
veryolddog
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any Food Smokers Out There?

I have been grilling for years but three years ago I purchased a propane smoker and began enjoying a different style of cooking. I just purchased a little more sophisticated unit by Masterbuilt which has a finer temperature control and is sealed a lot better.

I really do enjoy this very much. I have smoked ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken wings, whole chickens, prime rib and half of an Atlantic Salmon. Whenever we have family and friends, they rave about the taste. This is also provided by my applying my own rub and I also create my own homemade barbeque sauce. When I see the folks licking their fingers, then I know it is good.

Accompanying these foods are usually potato salad, cole slaw and lately, home made baked beans.

I have been thinking about going to a larger unit like a Smoke Hollow propane and wood/charcoal smoker for a variation on the theme.

Anyone else in Smoking Food? Any specialties? And, great side dishes that you would like to mention? We have one that is worth mentioning: they are called atomic buffalo turds. These are jalapeno peppers stuffed with cheese, sausage, seafood or anything that you may like, wrapped in bacon. Some brave souls use habaneros but I am not that brave.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Ed
Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a cheap charcoal smoker a few years ago. I loved it so much I got one of the 40" Masterbuilt electric ones a couple of seasons back.

I got an AMAZin pellet burner for it, and did a few modifications, and love it a lot!

If you haven't yet. Check out smokingmeatforums.com. The RFC of smoking! humbup:

Phoned in.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoke pork loins for cold cuts and as a sub for bacon. Also good for dinner. I use 1/3 cup pickling salt and 1/3 cup brown sugar to one quart of water for a brine. Make sure you get cane sugar as some brown sugar is just color added. I have been using hickory. No iodized salt. I rub it with garlic powder, pepper and paprika. I use a remote meat thermometer. Works good on chickens too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Jdeere562

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I dab in smoking a bit, tasty stuff! Coworkers love me Mondays, when I smoke on Sunday. I have them spoiled.

Another great website I belong to is... www.thesmokering.com Lot's of nice people there, recipes and help with any problems or questions. Check it out, pictures of food galore as well! Kinda reminds me of RimfireCentral, just food oriented!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
FrankW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi veryolddog,

You will find a lot of information on http://www.thesmokering.com/ site. A lot of competition smokers hang out there.

I use to smoke a lot but not so much now. Still have my GoodOne smoker. I find Hickory too strong for pork and much prefer Pecan. I use Hickory for beef.

Frank

Picture of my smoker. This is a 40" and mine is a 36".
Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 PM
ibboatin28

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
You guys are making me hungry...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Kilmon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And when you tire of smoking meat, remember: smoked jalapenos = chipotles. Grow yourself some Mole' peppers and smoke those puppies. I smoke about 4-5 diferent varieties & make my own chili powder.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
First no such thing as a propane smoker. If it ain't wood or charcoal it ain't bbq. I my self my live WAY up here in Maine now but was raised a Navy brat and ALLOT of southern influence. I run my smoker in the dead of winter up here. I have tried throwing almost everything int he bbq at one time or another from fish to taters and squash.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Steve Dallas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Long time smoker here. Not the stogie kind. I have settled on a Kamado Joe, which is basically the best of the less expensive Big Green Egg clones. I typically only smoke for 1 to 3 hours at 225 and just let the natural goodness of the lump charcoal do the rest for the remaining time.

I had a much larger Oklahoma Joe smoker (one of the original high quality ones) for several years, but decided to downsize because it was very difficult to get consistent results. My only regret is that I cannot fit a full size packer brisket in my current smoker, which is almost sacrilege in Texas.

Here's a brisket point from a few weeks ago.

And here are some ribs from last weekend.

Last edited by Steve Dallas; 04-20-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Granite3
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I do a good bit in commercial machines, I especially love smoking cheese.

I can turn a $12 hoop of cheese into a $125 hoop in 18 minutes.

Cold smoking is the way to go, every degree above 120 or so reduces the amount of smoke an item can absorb. Moisture starts working out of the item, reducing the ability of the smoke to be drawn in.

I usually cold smoke for 12-18 minutes (heat only to the chips), then start the cook cycle.

If you are low temp cooking, 265 and below, I smoke as I cook, ramping the temp up slowly.

Excellent recipe book for cook processes, not prep or seasoning-

http://www.alto-shaam.com/manuals/co...nd_guides.aspx
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM
outcast86

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's some delicious looking grub and some awesome looking smokers (the thing ya cook on, not you guys ) in this thread so far. Makes me jealous and hungry at the same time. I bought my lowly Charbroil smoker with the offset firebox from HD about 5 years ago for about $160. She leaks like an old Harley, is in need of a paint job, and if I hold my breath, stand on on foot while hopping up and down, and recite the alphabet backwards twice, she holds a nice steady temp.

It ain't that bad, but it always gets the job done. While no expert, I've never met a soul that didn't like my pulled pork. The recipe's been tweaked for years, and no, I will not share.

Next time you get out your smoker, it's gonna be hot anyways, throw on a pack of hot dogs for a couple hours. They don't have to be the expensive kind, any will do. They turn out like kielbasa.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Larry Gallup

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To the initial question-only bananer peels now and then,-seriopusly,I often use a large cheap(Harbor Freight dutch oven to quick smoke things,works quite well.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:48 AM
markchem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoke brisket, cheese, fish, pretty much anything. I have an electric smoker, which is yes, sacrilege here in central Texas, but it works great.

Bought a book about 3 years ago called "Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue" by Cheryl Alters Jamison, and, Bill Jamison. Very good recipes and discussion of techniques.

I live across the street from one of the top 5 BBQ joints in the state, and about 15 miles from two of the other top five. I enjoy the stuff out of mine just as much as theirs, but I will stop by and get some sauce from them because it is cheap and good.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:37 AM
FrankW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good brisket should look like this.

Frank

Not my brisket!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm glad to see this thread getting some attention.

As I said above, I started out with a charcoal smoker my wife got me for Christmas one year. I didn't try it for quite some time, but then got bored one day and decided to put it together and give it a whirl.

It worked great, but the design didn't let you adjust the combustion air. And at our elevation (about 5300 feet), it wouldn't really get up to a high enough temperature. I made a few modifications and then it worked very well.

I smoked a lot of great meals on that baby.

Now this is a story that will seem familiar to all of the gun enablers and gun addicts on here:

One day I saw a nice pork butt (shoulder) at the store. I just couldn't resist it. So I bought it and brought it home. But the weather was crummy, and it didn't seem like I'd be able to comfortably use the charcoal smoker.

So rather than let $10 worth of meat go to waste, I went out to Sam's Club and bought a $300 electric smoker. (Sounding familiar, gun loonies)?

I brought it home and put it together, ran the initial burn-off-the-stink-of-new-paint run, seasoned the interior, and then proceeded to smoke that pork butt.

This thing has a remote control/readout, so you can sit comfortably in the house and check on or even adjust the temperature. There's a probe for the smoker's temperature and another stab-in probe to give you the meat temperature. All from your easy chair. Or, in fact, from bed!

I started this pork butt going at about 01:00 and then went to bed. I could roll over and check on it throughout the night with the remote. Now is that spoiled, or what?

The next day, the pulled pork we got from that was fantastic! And I've been hooked ever since.

However, being the nerd that I am, I had to test things. It turns out that the meat probe is dead on within 1F over the whole range. (Tested against a NIST traceable thermometer that is accurate to (no kidding) 0.015 C)!!! Yep. Fifteen thousandths of a degree C from -50 to +250 C! (I used to calibrate laboratory instruments for a living).

Anyhow, the point is that the meat probe is dandy. HOWEVER, the probe/readout for the probe that shows the temperature of the smoker itself was not good at all. It's dead on at 60F, but then gets farther and farther off as the temperature goes up until it reads about 20 high at 250F.

Now that I know that, I can compensate when I set the smoker temperature, but it's kind of cheesy.

Also, since it's an electric smoker, the chips of wood only smolder when the heating element is on. That means that the smoke production is fine as the unit is first heating up, but then it slows way down once the unit is up to temperature. It also means that you cannot cold-smoke in it.

Reading on smokingmeatfoums.com, I found a handy gadget that is a pellet burner. I got one of those, and using that, the smoke production is now separated from the heating of the smoker. That means I can cold smoke things (like cheese) OR smoke while cooking. Whatever.

I also put some baffles in the unit to control where the air flows. This has made the unit work great.

I've done a lot of pork ribs and shoulders (butts), turkeys, chickens, and even, as suggested above some hot dogs. It's all great.

I don't like things too salty, so I stay away from excessive salt in my rubs (lots of chili powder has salt in it so watch that), and go easy on it when brining.

Everyone should post up some favorite recipes here.

Smokin is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite3 View Post
I do a good bit in commercial machines, I especially love smoking cheese.

Preach it, bro!

I can turn a $12 hoop of cheese into a $125 hoop in 18 minutes.

Cold smoking is the way to go, every degree above 120 or so reduces the amount of smoke an item can absorb. Moisture starts working out of the item, reducing the ability of the smoke to be drawn in.

I usually cold smoke for 12-18 minutes (heat only to the chips), then start the cook cycle.

If you are low temp cooking, 265 and below, I smoke as I cook, ramping the temp up slowly.

Excellent recipe book for cook processes, not prep or seasoning-

http://www.alto-shaam.com/manuals/co...nd_guides.aspx
Excellent info. And thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast86 View Post
Next time you get out your smoker, it's gonna be hot anyways, throw on a pack of hot dogs for a couple hours. They don't have to be the expensive kind, any will do. They turn out like kielbasa.
Hear hear! Hot dogs, smoked, are a quick, easy, and tasty treat! I haven't tried doing hamburger patties, but I have to think that they'd come out fantastic, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markchem View Post
I smoke brisket, cheese, fish, pretty much anything. I have an electric smoker, which is yes, sacrilege here in central Texas, but it works great.

Bought a book about 3 years ago called "Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue" by Cheryl Alters Jamison, and, Bill Jamison. Very good recipes and discussion of techniques.

I live across the street from one of the top 5 BBQ joints in the state, and about 15 miles from two of the other top five. I enjoy the stuff out of mine just as much as theirs, but I will stop by and get some sauce from them because it is cheap and good.
Hey. I'm proud to use my electric smoker! I'd say that if people are getting bad results with an electric smoker, it's because they haven't adequately modded and hot-rodded it! It's like a 10-22. It might not be great right out of the box, but when has that stopped anyone?