What is the minimum fps for taking squirrels at 20 yds?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Pastprime, I imagine you have selected your model by now. I purchased a GAMO Big Cat a couple years ago which advertises 1000 fps with lead pellets (.177). I replaced the trigger with an after market which made an amazing improvement to the air gun. I was not impressed with it before that. But now, it has a very smooth 3-4 pound pull that I wish I had on some of my .22 rifles. i swapped out the Gamo scope for a Simmons 44mag .22 scope. I use it for cowbirds around my bird feeders mostly. My wife likes the squirrels. So do my dogs . If the squirrels aren't quick, they are the dead. I like the Crossman Premier HPs or flat top match pellets. Both shoot to nearly the same POI. Close enough I don't worry about any sight adjustment if I should pick up the wrong tin in the heat of battle. The Gamo really does the job. I took 2 cowbirds off one feeder last year with one pellet. A second one hopped around right behind the first while I was taking a shot. They both dropped like a rock. Back in the day, I killed an awful lot of pigeons, starlings and sparrows on the farm with my trusty Red Ryder BB gun. I don't recall ever killing a rabbit with one, but it probably wasn't for lack of trying. I bought another RR a few years ago when the centennial edition came out. It still was not like the first one I had in 1946. The loading gate was different, and of course, they had the lawyer safety on it which the original did not. Still the best way in the world to learn marksmanship and wing shooting. I took more than one sparrow and pigeon out of the air with one, and later did the same with a .22. VH
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Squirrel Air rifle

I have two GAMO CFX's. One scoped and one with Diopter sights. See below.

This one has gradually replaced the scoped model with my grandkids for "messing" around the house. Both have GTX replacement triggers.

They have killed 4 squirrels around the house at ranges from around 10 yards to one that was close on to 30 plus a number of blackbirds at 30-40 yards albeit the accuracy starts to get iffy around there.

On the squirrels 3 were head shots and one right behind the shoulder. My grandkids told me the one shot right behind the shoulder "twitched" for a little but did not require a second shot. That was the one at 30 yards.

They are using a GAMO Match Diablo 7.9 gr, because that is the most accurate in this rifle, which has 700 fps left at 30 yards.

I have one of GAMO metal targets with the center red bullseye that when you hit it the bull falls down and you can reset it with a string. Have different "background" silouhettes and different "bull" sizes. Great for practice.

The CFX will hit, from a bench, the center 1 1/2"bullseye at 50 yards enough times that keeps the challenge at that range but gets the kids enough results to keep it interesting.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Fancypicker
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkft1 View Post
I have to say again Fancy! Those be some NICE lookin' Crosmans you have there!!

I use a Benjamin 392 and a slightly modded 2260 [RJ Breech/B&A 12gram valve] for squirrel control,a 2260 even in stock form is by far the best bang for the buck.
Thanks! I do believe you have just cost me some $$$ for a Benjamin 392
I always wanted a good pumper, and have been eyeballing one for a long time.
Bit the bullet today and ordered one.

The only pumper I have is a cheapo little Crosman 762 pumpmaster!
One would be surprised at how accurate you can get with one, though!

Watch in HD to see better! (crappy light the day I shot this one)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
toold128
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
....... I'm wondering if the 600-650 fps rifles will be OK at 20 yds. or do I need more power?
I have a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 purchased in 1969. Advertised velocity is 675 fps. Could not tell you how many squirrels taken (100's), both head shots and shoulder shots at 20-25 yards.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:20 PM
eds2777

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used to drop a lot of bushy tails with a Sheridan Silver Streak in .20 cal. That thing was super accurate and the .20 cal pellets hit hard. My brother killed a ground hog with it too.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
A question for the Crossman CO2 shooters. How many cartridges do the rifles hold, one or two. And, how long can you leave them in. I have read that some manufacturers recommend not leaving a CO2 rifle under pressure.

I like the multiple shot option but not if I cannot have a rifle charged and ready.

BTW, I probably used all the wrong terms here but still learning...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancypicker View Post

Here are some of my customs:

Straight Shootin'!

Wow them is some wicked neat air guns. We have a guy that vacations up here at the lake every summer who has a super duper high end air rifle he competes with. Very interesting sport and the rifles and pistols sure are not the crossmans I had when I was a kid.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:34 AM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
A question for the Crossman CO2 shooters. How many cartridges do the rifles hold, one or two. And, how long can you leave them in. I have read that some manufacturers recommend not leaving a CO2 rifle under pressure.

I like the multiple shot option but not if I cannot have a rifle charged and ready.

BTW, I probably used all the wrong terms here but still learning...
All the models I showed you use one 12 gram co2 cartridge (the kind you find at wally world etc.)

The way the 22/xx series Crosman and customs work, you can leave the unpierced co2 cart in the gun, screwed into the bottom tube in front of the forearm.
All you have to do from there, is cock the bolt, and pull the trigger to pierce the co2 cart, then recock, load a pellet and shoot.
It takes less than 2 seconds to ready if you already have the unpeirced co2 cart in.

After the Co2 cart is pierced, however you should use all the co2 up and put a fresh, unpierced cart back in, as the pierced cart will ruin the seal over time if left in.
Hope this helps!

Straight Shootin'!

Last edited by Fancypicker; 05-20-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Fancypicker

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine04657 View Post
Wow them is some wicked neat air guns. We have a guy that vacations up here at the lake every summer who has a super duper high end air rifle he competes with. Very interesting sport and the rifles and pistols sure are not the crossmans I had when I was a kid.
Thanks! I was shocked at how far Crosmans have come myself.
I have more $$ into that 2300s silhouette pistol (Blue grips) than I do in my 10/22!
But that Williams micrometric rear sight, and the Lothar Walther chocked barrel make it all worthwhile when I start hitting those silhouettes
(plus it has a power adjuster knob on the back so you can dial the FPS up or down!)

Last edited by Fancypicker; 05-20-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
Pastprime, I imagine you have selected your model by now. I purchased a GAMO Big Cat a couple years ago which advertises 1000 fps with lead pellets (.177). I replaced the trigger with an after market which made an amazing improvement to the air gun. I was not impressed with it before that. But now, it has a very smooth 3-4 pound pull that I wish I had on some of my .22 rifles. i swapped out the Gamo scope for a Simmons 44mag .22 scope. I use it for cowbirds around my bird feeders mostly. My wife likes the squirrels. So do my dogs . If the squirrels aren't quick, they are the dead. I like the Crossman Premier HPs or flat top match pellets. Both shoot to nearly the same POI. Close enough I don't worry about any sight adjustment if I should pick up the wrong tin in the heat of battle. The Gamo really does the job. I took 2 cowbirds off one feeder last year with one pellet. A second one hopped around right behind the first while I was taking a shot. They both dropped like a rock. Back in the day, I killed an awful lot of pigeons, starlings and sparrows on the farm with my trusty Red Ryder BB gun. I don't recall ever killing a rabbit with one, but it probably wasn't for lack of trying. I bought another RR a few years ago when the centennial edition came out. It still was not like the first one I had in 1946. The loading gate was different, and of course, they had the lawyer safety on it which the original did not. Still the best way in the world to learn marksmanship and wing shooting. I took more than one sparrow and pigeon out of the air with one, and later did the same with a .22. VH
Far from it, Sir. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know ....:

I am becoming more convienced that a rifle designed more for accuracy (recoilless or almost) and less for power would be better for me. Expecially since a lot of people report that 600 fps will take care of "Rocky" out to 20 yds. And, I do like a nice trigger. I see that aftermarket triggers are available but even those are in the 2-3 pound range....I like ounces..

The informtion all of you have provided is most gratefully appreciated...I'm still looking and learning...
Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 PM
hoytcanon
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
echo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2777 View Post
I used to drop a lot of bushy tails with a Sheridan Silver Streak in .20 cal. That thing was super accurate and the .20 cal pellets hit hard. My brother killed a ground hog with it too.
We have shot literally hundreds of squirrels, grouse and hares with our Sheridan C9 .20 caliber rifles... they are extremely accurate, without the flightiness of springers... they are also excellent in cold weather (where CO2 guns are useless)... you can find them for a very reasonable price on American Airgun Classifieds... you would not regret this purchase!

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post
We have shot literally hundreds of squirrels, grouse and hares with our Sheridan C9 .20 caliber rifles... they are extremely accurate, without the flightiness of springers... they are also excellent in cold weather (where CO2 guns are useless)... you can find them for a very reasonable price on American Airgun Classifieds... you would not regret this purchase!

http://www.airguns.net/classifieds/classifieds.php
Can you put a scope on this rifle? I have a lot of trouble shooting open sigts unless they are the apertures. The notch rear and post front are a little more than my "mature" eyes can handle.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Crowbuster
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

I will suggest an alternative.... a high powered, very accurate pistol. $150 Browning
Magnum 800. Imported bu Umarex. Read reviews at Pyramyd Air. Single shot, break barrel, 600 fps w/RWS Superpoint Extra .22 pellets. The whole action slides rearward on firing so there is NO recoil. Ground front sight way down and modified and turned to the front the rear sight (makes a rock solid scope stop). Quality red dot scope - 4moa. Heat stippled entire grip area for a non-slip grip. Darndest shooting machine I've ever owned. I have 10 small water bottles sprayed white and hanging by strings in my woods at different heights and different yardages up to 40 yards. When you hit one with this thing it goes POP and jumps around like crazy. I can hit all of them regularly from a standing, unsupported position. I have taken 3 squirrels up in the oak trees. When that .22 pointed pellet hits them (all three body shots) they are Dead Right There. They just stop what they were doing and fall out of the tree. Game over. Everyone I have let shoot my 10 albino, rabid, water bottle squirrels has been very impressed with the gun and with how quickly they are able to hit with it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (121)
A pistol is something I had not considered. Didn't realize they were making them that powerful now. Like I've said before: I'm learning... Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM
hoytcanon
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yep...

Quote:
A pistol is something I had not considered. Didn't realize they were making them that powerful now. Like I've said before: I'm learning... Thanks
Use the Air Venturi Intermount for the Sheridan C9 rifles... it is "by far" the most solid mount... and I have try them all. Also try the Leapers Bug Buster 3-9X32mm scope on this gun... it makes an inexpensive but highly accurate, consistent air rifle rig.