TC .22 Classic Blow up!! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:09 PM
weemsf
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Early T/C Classic

I bought the first Classic to come to the local gunshop. It's SN is 3XXX. I have not shot it all that much, but it has been flawless. I guess I have put around 500 rounds through it. It has the early style mag release which I like much better than the new ones. It blends in with the trigger guard. This thread is the first I have heard of a problem with the T/C's. I like mine so well that I am selling my Weatherby MKXXII.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
eywflyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had classic benchmark for a couple of years and have fired about 2000 rounds through it. The only jamming/extracting issues I have had were with bulk hi velocity ammo. With better quality match ammo, it operates flawlessly. A good round for the money, Wolf match ammo will punch the same hole at 50 yds (honestly) on bags with a 24x scope. I liked the rifle so much, that I just bought one of two remaining classic sporters at my local Gander Mountain for $169. I plan on using it just with the iron sights for metal plate clanging fun. So far, with a few hundred rounds of federal BULK ammo, I have had no ejection/extraction problems and have been able to hold 1" groups at 25 yrd with iron sights. Maybe I have just been lucky twice, but I love these rifles. Like any blowback .22, the action needs a little cleaning after a couple hundred round session to keep running smothly. I never knew TC had issues with these rifles. Blissfully ignorant I guess!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Choc-dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T/C classic for $169.00

Dear Eywflyer,

You bought a T/C classic at Gander Mountain for $169.00????

Where..which one??? You sure it wasn't $269.00???
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 AM
tdart67

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Wink

For $169 I think I'd bought them both.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 PM
eywflyer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry! Typo!

Sorry Guys! It was $269. The rifle was actually on clearance for $319 and I was given a promo $50 off, thus $269! It was at the York, PA store, and earlier this week they still had one left. I'll still take the stock TC over my stock 10/22 any day. I believe I would have to put quite a bit more money into the 10/22 to get it up to the level of quality that I get from the TC for $269. But for all I know I could start having the TC problems listed in this string tomorrow. I won't hold my breath. Sorry about the typo!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM
tdart67

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Ive a T/C Benchmark thats been a great gun (knock on wood).
Old 04-07-2007, 11:49 AM
NCdrummer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I have an early Benchmark that will shoot inside 1 MOA at 100 yards with cheap Federal Target ammo. Occasionally it will jam, but not often. I had to send it back to TC to get the trigger pull improved. Now it breaks at 3 lbs. like glass. They also replaced the stock because the front sling swivel stud was canted to the left. I probably caused that slinging it up tight, but they replaced the whole stock without me asking. It's a very accurate auto, and nice to shoot. I'll keep mine!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:10 PM
smokey/mtn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centenniel View Post
I hate to hear about your problems with your T/C Classic. Perhaps I just got lucky, but I bought one NIB several years ago and have had not one single problem with it to date. It is the finest .22 semiauto rifle that I own.
I to got one nib several years ago. It's the best auto I have ever shot, it would shoot one hole right outof the box.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
bcshell3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy Benchmark blows up!

Hi guys. I have an older model Classic and a newer (4 years old) Benchmark which I really have not had a lot of time to shoot until lately. I must say both guns are tack-drivers. During my last couple of sessions with the Benchmark I have had 4 cases of exploding rims with an open bolt. (Total of no more then 150 rounds fired during all sessions.) Could this be ammunition related? It only seems to happen when I use the Federal Semi-Auto Match ammo. I have never experienced this issue with the Classic.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Any semi auto rifle rimfire can have out of battery ignitions. I have tested about 10 different makes of rifles for this and they ALL do it. You can see what I mean by taking any UNLOADED 22 semis and slowly open the bolt a little at a time dry firing as you go. Of course you must recock for each try. You will eventually find a spot where it will no longer drop the hammer. On most rifles the hammer will drop with the bolt 1/8" out of battery.

The most common cause for this is a dirty chamber and with everyone using pull through cleaning devices it will happen more. YOU MUST USE BRUSH OCCASIONALLY ON THE CHAMBER. Lead buildup will not be removed by a patch. It is easy to do this. Take a long 22 caliber RIFLE brush. Lay loaded 22 lr round next to it. Bend the brush 90 deg at a point just a bit longer than the loaded round. Now you can reach in through the ejection port and slip the brush into the chamber and use the end to rock the brush up ans down. Slide it in and out several times too. After that it is time for a patch or 4 to get all the crud you just loosened out of there. Keep a brush like this in your range box!

Tightly chambered rifles like the T/C (this one reason they are so accurate) need this far more often than a sloppy sporter chambered rifle.

Having said all of the above I think in your case you may have an ammo problem. Clean the chamber and try another lot of the AutoMatch or another type of ammo. If it does seem to be the ammo contact Federal. They may want you to ship them the bad stuff and they will replace at least that amount.

The rim of a 22 is the most stressed part of the case when it is formed. It is the most likely part to let go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
bcshell3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been shooting .22 semi-autos for the last 30 years and have only had out-of-battery ignitions occur maybe 3 or 4 times at the most. What I am seeing with this TC is definitely something different and something particular to the TC. I am relatively certain the tight chamber is part of the problem.

I have fired this ammo in other semi-autos without issues. (S&W 41, Ruger 1022, Win 190, AR-15 conversions, Colt ACE)
Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Jaywalker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new Classic some time ago - it went back to TC for jamming and inaccuracy issues. They replaced the stock and some internals. It still jammed, and this time the the chamber chipped out. I posted the following pic, but it no longer seems to be in my search history:

I returned it again to TC, and they replaced the rifle. This time I sold the rifle as "New In Box, Unfired."

I can see myself buying another under certain circumstances. First, I'd have to see years of glowing reliability reports. Second, I have to see a fine factory trigger or a nice replacement. I would not buy one and plan to have the trigger worked on by any gunsmith - I'm concerned that the TC triggers are made by MIM technology and are surface hardened very shallowly, such as to only 0.007". Honing such a trigger could break through the hardened portion into the softer metal underneath, causing trigger failure down the road. I wonder if that might be the "full auto" comments I read from time to time.

Until then, I'll buy used Anschutz and get the reliability, accuracy, and trigger I want.

Jaywalker

Last edited by Jaywalker; 08-28-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
weemsf
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Chipped Cahmber

The pic posted with the chips out of the side of the chamber look exactly like mine does right now. I am having feeding problems with both 5 and 10 round mags. I cleaned the rifle the other night with a brush and solvent as well as patches. I could hand cycle it about four times and then it started hanging up again. My T/C Classic is very early with a S/N of 30XX. Hopefully, they will replace the barrel of the entire rifle. We will see.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 PM
tdart67

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Mine also had a chip that looked alot like the one shown. Was still shooting great but then started to have eject problems which got worse till it would no longer eject at all. Sent it to T/C they said that the camber was destoyed and that they would build me a new gun. Im glad I didnt send it to TTShooter for trigger work. But looking forward to check out the new R-55. Just 6 more weeks to go!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:11 AM
Kentucky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between a CLASSIC and an R55 Classic and are all BENCHMARKs the same?