Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Wade

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Vudoo -- Failure to Feed -- *solved*

This is about great customer service from Vudoo Gun Works.

V22 in the MPA BA chassis. Occasional failures to feed. Sometimes near the top of the mag, sometimes the middle of the stack, sometimes nearly the last round in the mag. Easy to correct by dropping the mag, reseating the cartridge in the mag and cycling the bolt but a real game breaker during a match.

Trial and error suggests the problem comes with upward pressure on the front of the magazine causing the rear end to drop just enough for the bolt to miss the rim of the cartridge or to only barely nudge it forward before slipping off and over the cartridge.

Not really a fault with the rifle as inspection shows there is movement up and down of the magazine inside the chassis when jiggling the magazine by hand. Somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" of play.

A note to RAVAGE discussing the problem led to an email exchange followed by a phone call that has a solution on the way.

I didn't know it before but I now know that MPA says their standard BA chassis works with 95% of the possible configurations of rifles, bolts and bolt faces on the market. For that other 5% they have an adjustable magazine catch available and one of them is now on the way to me courtesy of VGW. It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it will solve the problem. I'll let you know and suggest that anyone having similar problems start by checking the amount of play in the fit of the magazine.

Very happy with the rifle and especially happy with the readiness and willingness of VGW to step in get my issues worked out.

Last edited by Wade; 11-27-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ashamed to see such a high priced rig to have problem.
Why didnít the folks at vudoo catch the play with the magazine before they shipped to you?

I am following the vudoo owners what they post.
I am contemplating buying, need to see more positive reports.
And definitely need to see a five round mag. Not that box as big a a trailer hanging off the bottom. Would be in my way and be a hindrance.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 PM
RAVAGE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Ashamed to see such a high priced rig to have problem.
Why didnít the folks at vudoo catch the play with the magazine before they shipped to you?

I am following the vudoo owners what they post.
And definitely need to see a five round mag. Not that box as big a a trailer hanging off the bottom. Would be in my way and be a hindrance.
For one, the issue isn't always readily apparent, it generally takes more rounds than we test fire through the rifle in production for it to show up. Second, variation in chassis systems (of the sort mentioned by the OP) is pretty broad but mostly, the ones that recognize the issue the most are guys that purchase barreled actions and put them in a chassis they already have. Regardless, no one in this industry surpasses our customer service.

What do you mean by, "....need to see more positive reports" What reports have you seen that are not positive?

The five round magazine will be available in January but I won't guarantee to you that you'll like it. It isn't what some consider as "flush." It's the same outer form as our current magazine and although half the length, it's more "flush-ish" than flush, depending on what DBM or chassis you're plugging it into.

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 08:47 PM
Wade

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVAGE View Post
For one, the issue isn't always readily apparent, it generally takes more rounds than we test fire through the rifle in production for it to show up.
I had several hundred rounds through the rifle before I had any problems and they first manifested themselves in PRS style shooting where the magazine often comes into contact with barricades or other ad hoc supports. I don't know that someone shooting off typical shooting bench gear would have experienced any issues.

Clearly the issue is in the chassis and is a frequent enough occurrence that MPA developed an adjustable catch as a solution, and obviously not just for this rifle by VGW but for others as well.

Quote:
We all have our "deal breakers." If you don't like it, you don't like it. For me that magazine is a feature, not an issue.

Quote:
As for positive reports, I've never owned a custom gun but I do own several Anschutz, BRNO, CZ, Tikka and some prewar rifles that probably wouldn't interest anyone here. This rifle is more accurate than any of them. The largest 50-yard 10-round group I've shot with decent ammo measured 0.374" ctc. That was the largest. The action is smooth in operation and has a very positive lockup. Extraction and ejection are firm and positive. Striker indents on cartridges are deep and consistent. The fit and finish (matte cerekote) of all components is perfect.

Triggers and stocks or chassis are not made by VGW so rating or evaluating them tells you nothing about VGW but the Timney trigger they installed is exactly what I want in a trigger -- not especially light by BR standards but crisp and clean. The MPA BA chassis is perfect for my intended use and because of VGW's design (the Remington 700 footprint) I could get exactly that instead of having to make do with something "almost right" such as a chassis made strictly for the rimfire market.

But this thread wasn't meant to be a review of VGW rifles, positive or negative. It was meant to be a review of the excellent customer support I experienced -- immediate attention to my concerns, polite and courteous treatment from everyone at VGW I interacted with, and a speedy resolution with no muss or fuss. If you don't find that exceptional and worthy of comment then you've had better experiences in your life with such things than have I.

Last edited by Wade; 11-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:00 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVAGE View Post
For one, the issue isn't always readily apparent, it generally takes more rounds than we test fire through the rifle in production for it to show up. Second, variation in chassis systems (of the sort mentioned by the OP) is pretty broad but mostly, the ones that recognize the issue the most are guys that purchase barreled actions and put them in a chassis they already have. Regardless, no one in this industry surpasses our customer service.

What do you mean by, "....need to see more positive reports" What reports have you seen that are not positive?

The five round magazine will be available in January but I won't guarantee to you that you'll like it. It isn't what some consider as "flush." It's the same outer form as our current magazine and although half the length, it's more "flush-ish" than flush, depending on what DBM or chassis you're plugging it into.

MB
I just meant I need to see more positive reports. Um If I go the vudoo route I may go single shot and not use the mag. Also what is the lightest weight setup using 20” barrel with a chassis versus stock setup ( chassis plus barrel/receiver plus grip and butt) ? In one of the chassis you show on your site.

Last edited by squirrel1; 11-26-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Cuzz
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine came with an adjustable mag catch-release. i hope yall can see the slot that the silver allen head screw sits in. Mine is adjusted almost all the way in. if i slide the rectangular plate any farther, it wont catch the mag, if i slide it back out, the mag has slack. The mags are a little skinny imo for the mpa, they work fine but have a little side to side play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1574857132782.jpg (386.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 AM
RAVAGE

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just meant I need to see more positive reports. Um If I go the vudoo route I may go single shot and not use the mag. Also what is the lightest weight setup using 20Ē barrel with a chassis versus stock setup ( chassis plus barrel/receiver plus grip and butt) ? In one of the chassis you show on your site.
Gotcha, it was a contextual thing....makes sense now Dude.

I posted a picture in another thread, I think Vudoo Firearms is the thread name, of the five shot magazine in the JP APAC Chassis. The picture won't resize for some reason and is huge, so I won't post it in this thread. Take a look and let me know if you have questions, etc.

The Single Shot BR Action will be available in January, along with all the new magazines.

MB
Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 PM
ocabj

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the MPA mag catch for long actions and the adjustable catch, as well as those mag well spacer deals before I even received my Vudoo barreled action, just in case my rifle had the same issue.

So far, I have not needed any of those items with my MPA BA Comp and Vudoo action.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:04 PM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife and I bought barreled actions and also had slight feedings issues with the MPA BA chassis. Ours have the adjustable mag catch, after adjusting them we have had no further feeding issues.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 AM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
I had several hundred rounds through the rifle before I had any problems and they first manifested themselves in PRS style shooting where the magazine often comes into contact with barricades or other ad hoc supports. I don't know that someone shooting off typical shooting bench gear would have experienced any issues.

Clearly the issue is in the chassis and is a frequent enough occurrence that MPA developed an adjustable catch as a solution, and obviously not just for this rifle by VGW but for others as well.

We all have our "deal breakers." If you don't like it, you don't like it. For me that magazine is a feature, not an issue.

As for positive reports, I've never owned a custom gun but I do own several Anschutz, BRNO, CZ, Tikka and some prewar rifles that probably wouldn't interest anyone here. This rifle is more accurate than any of them. The largest 50-yard 10-round group I've shot with decent ammo measured 0.374" ctc. That was the largest. The action is smooth in operation and has a very positive lockup. Extraction and ejection are firm and positive. Striker indents on cartridges are deep and consistent. The fit and finish (matte cerekote) of all components is perfect.

Triggers and stocks or chassis are not made by VGW so rating or evaluating them tells you nothing about VGW but the Timney trigger they installed is exactly what I want in a trigger -- not especially light by BR standards but crisp and clean. The MPA BA chassis is perfect for my intended use and because of VGW's design (the Remington 700 footprint) I could get exactly that instead of having to make do with something "almost right" such as a chassis made strictly for the rimfire market.

But this thread wasn't meant to be a review of VGW rifles, positive or negative. It was meant to be a review of the excellent customer support I experienced -- immediate attention to my concerns, polite and courteous treatment from everyone at VGW I interacted with, and a speedy resolution with no muss or fuss. If you don't find that exceptional and worthy of comment then you've had better experiences in your life with such things than have I.

Amen.... Vudoo rifles are phenomenal in many ways. On very rare occasion will there be an issue but as many know, that issue will be handled immediately with diligence. Keep doing what you do Vudoo...
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just meant I need to see more positive reports. Um If I go the vudoo route I may go single shot and not use the mag. Also what is the lightest weight setup using 20Ē barrel with a chassis versus stock setup ( chassis plus barrel/receiver plus grip and butt) ? In one of the chassis you show on your site.
If you want a light weight set up look at the Manners Hunting stocks. They have different styles and are built very light and strong. I have used a few different Manners stocks on my Vudoo that I switched over from my other rifles while waiting for my final Manners to come in and they all worked great. I use the mini chassis as I use the magazines for my matches and never a hiccup. Being able to use any Rem 700 footprint stock is a great plus for the Vudoos.

https://mannersstocks.com/hunting-stocks/
Old 12-05-2019, 03:56 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Okay, I can't find anything that looks like the mag catch release that was pictured. Where are we looking? My vudoo feeds well except for the occasional round that doesn't seem to get picked up. I wrote this off as me not pulling the bolt back far enough or just paart of the wearing in process.
One question for you other owners, when the magazine is in is there a small degree of vertical play in the mag when you push it up and down, like 1 or 1-1/2 mm of movement?
Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Oops, I just re-read the whole thread and I see that the mag catch in question is part of the mpa chassis. My bad.
I'd still like to know if that vertical wiggle is normal or if the mag well position should be raised to try to eliminate it. That degree is probably normal I'd guess.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:24 PM
Wade

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sof View Post
I'd still like to know if that vertical wiggle is normal or if the mag well position should be raised to try to eliminate it.
No mag well on the rifle itself. That's all part of the stock or chassis system rather than the rifle.

Tweak the mag for a perfect fit in the MPA chassis and you might have problems with some other stock or chassis. The adjustable catch/release made by MPA for that chassis solved the problem.

Just got it installed today and like Cuzz I found that having the sliding insert almost all the way to its highest position was the right spot.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:45 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Solved my issues by carefully grinding the areas where the bottom metal sits against the stock. This grinding was done on the stock surface not the floorplate. Allowing the whole trigger guard and magwell to set further in allows the mag to sit up to the action a tiny bit higher and eliminated the wobble. It had to be done in very small increments to avoid going too far which would have prevented the mag from latching properly. Also, I used a pressure paste on the surfaces that I ground so the bearing surfaces remained even.