Help: Need to make an "IN" or "OUT" Decision - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDplinker View Post
I'll see what my setup can do and hopefully I won't have to "go to school" on the shims. Thanks for the tip/pointer. I'm having trouble visualising where the shims go, perhaps I don't understand scopes; under the rear ring.... oh!! Does that allow you to shift the downward adjustment into the upward plane of adjustment?

Thanks, again

Roger
The shims go under the scope in the rear ring. It's hard to explain. I use two shims. The bottom one is longer than the next one. So in effect, there are two points contacting the scope on both sides. Some guys use business cards, some use aluminum can, I happened to use some copper sheeting. About .020 of shims is enough to reach 200 meters. For some rifles you can buy 20MOA scope mounds but they are expensive and the tend to cover the loading port. I bough one fro BKL but it was tilted the wrong way for an Anschutz so I went back to the shims.

The effect of raising the rear of the scope is the scope is now pointing down meaning you have to point the barrel higher. That give you elevation without any adjustment to the scope. That means that now you have more elevation in the scope adjustment so you can shoot at longer ranges. AGAIN, you only need about 7 inch pounds on the scope rings, not 15 inch pounds. Because the scope is now "crooked" in the rings it take very little to hold the scope from moving.