Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post
It's ok. I'm going to put it through it paces this Spring when I go ground squirrel shooting. I have several Nikon's which I like for the brightness and clarity. They are on my other ground squirrel rifles that I bring with me. This Talso focused clearly at 50 yards using the side focus. Unfortunately, the side focus indicated it was 45 yards which it wasn't. We'll see how the mildots work out on the critters out to 200 yards.
Thanks
Old 10-31-2019, 04:55 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
squirrel1:

I have been following this thread on your gun/Lilja barrel and want to thank you for all your info.
I have a Lilja barrel that I want to swap into my new 457 American and have a pretty good bunch of Eley ammo stashed for it.

I really have to ask about the Night Force scope. Thats a bunch of $$$ to put on that rifle. Are you pleased with it ?

Next is, I was/am considering getting a 455 with synthetic stock and doing the swap with that gun. What do you think of the stock ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by huntschool; 10-31-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Taking advantage of the MDT Chassis sale for the CZ455 and Ruger American Rimfires. This is the CZ 455 in the MDT Chassis. The orange thing is a single shot mag I use on my portable bench killing ground squirrels. Can't wait until spring to shoot these guns. Yes that's a butter knife shaped bolt handle and octagon barrel chambered in 17hm2.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
squirrel1:

I have been following this thread on your gun/Lilja barrel and want to thank you for all your info.
I have a Lilja barrel that I want to swap into my new 457 American and have a pretty good bunch of Eley ammo stashed for it.

I really have to ask about the Night Force scope. Thats a bunch of $$$ to put on that rifle. Are you pleased with it ?

Next is, I was/am considering getting a 455 with synthetic stock and doing the swap with that gun. What do you think of the stock ?

Thanks in advance.
Very pleased with scope. Love the reticle (IHR). If woods get ultra dark during day one can switch on lighted reticle.
Turrents are handy for helping with shots (with 75 yard zero) to shoot out to say 125 yards.
Turrents can be used for wind too.
Reticle obscures very little. For a 10x scope the reticle for its size is likely acting more like a 12x scope with thicker reticle.
I mounted scope high enough where I still have room to keep using Nightforce scope covers. I like these covers. Lots of others folks don’t. I can take off cover and shoot in the rain if need be and covers stay attached to scope.
Set it and forget it.
You bump gun. No sweat. You might be able to drop gun and still be on zero.
Just a scope I have a lot of confidence it.
Zero stop is nice.
I haven’t used the mag throw lever yet.
Need to out it on. I usually hunt with mag at 6x. But for longer shots crank to 10.
Biggest gripe with scope. Parallax knob not marked for yardage. It does have markings just not yardage.
Good plain image.
I have a Nikon I bought for a project gun.
Look through it looks like the Milky Way after using nightorce.
Not evenly heavy scope. Not overly long.
A good match for 17 hm2 imo.
Good feel when installed on CZ 455 with lilja varmint sporter barrel.
Feels good when slung. I can walk for hours wearing on shoulder.

Last edited by squirrel1; 12-01-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:21 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post

Taking advantage of the MDT Chassis sale for the CZ455 and Ruger American Rimfires. This is the CZ 455 in the MDT Chassis. The orange thing is a single shot mag I use on my portable bench killing ground squirrels. Can't wait until spring to shoot these guns. Yes that's a butter knife shaped bolt handle and octagon barrel chambered in 17hm2.
Curious, how much does everything in pic weigh excluding receiver, barrel, scope, scope mount and bipod?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:23 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
My CZ 455 Whistlepig 17Mach2 .
I was about to give up on the 17Mach2 the second time because I couldn’t get my Savage Mark II FV to group good enough to use for anything past 25 yards .
Then I decided to try a Whistlepig Barrel on one of my CZ 455 actions . Outshot the Savage first magazine. I’d put over a 1000 rounds through the Savage . Still has flyers , but I suspect that’s the ammo and even with the flyers the groups are tighter at 50 than they are at 25 with the Savage . Love the lightweight of the WP too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F72A305B-657F-441E-87C5-BF4CF3EECD40.jpeg (131.1 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by kirby999; 12-02-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 AM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Gmww:

Who's barrel is it ?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Gmww

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Gmww:

Who's barrel is it ?

Thanks
It started out as a Green Mountain 17cal barrel blank. I think it was 21"? My local gunsmith John Taylor chambered and shaped it to an octagon. He also did the bolt handle. The blank was had for $45 plus shipping.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Gmww

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Curious, how much does everything in pic weigh excluding receiver, barrel, scope, scope mount and bipod?
Couldn't tell you off hand. It's not a light walk in the woods gun. Then again I've carried heavier Muzzle loaders in the woods. I guess it's all relative. It's currently buried in my safe.

EDIT: Here is what MDT Specs show for the Gen 2. Mine is the Gen 1. looks to be the same except for the serrated section near the forend.
SPECIFICATIONS
Up to 21% increase in accuracy
CNC Machined from 6061 aluminum
Cerakote Finish (in Black or Flat Dark Earth)
M-LOK compatible
Designed for carbine AR-15 buttstocks
Accepts AR-15 pistol grips
Lightweight, free-floating modular forend
Accommodates barrels up to 1" diameter.
Length of pull of 11.5”-14.75” (based on Hogue stock)
Compatible with OEM Magazines
Weight: 1.4lb - 1.6lb

Last edited by Gmww; 12-03-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Gmww

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the Whitaker Ruger American Rimfire in the MDT Chassis.