New member - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Years ago I purchased a set of grips from Volquartsen similar to the Volthane grips shown except they were laminated wood. I didn't use them long, just way too large for my taste. I thought they would be really comfortable but instead they were just cumbersome. JMHO
Old 12-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Radman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am probably going to go with the Hogue grips. Before I start mods, I want to check accuracy and was considering CCI ammo but am reading bad reviews on them lately. I am considering Aguila supermax copper to test accuracy...good choice or not ?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:55 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine runs fine with Aquila SV 40 grain round nose. Not a big fan of copper plated ammo . That being said the CCI AR Tactical 22 ammo shoots pretty darn good.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Aboard Radman!! I'm new to the Mk series as well despite shooting rimfires over 50 years. REALLY enjoying the pair of MKIIs in the fleet. Congrats on your new pistol.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Mine runs fine with Aquila SV 40 grain round nose. Not a big fan of copper plated ammo . That being said the CCI AR Tactical 22 ammo shoots pretty darn good.
+1. My MKIIs run very well on the Aguila Super Extra 38gr HP and CCI AR "Tactical" 40gr RN.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Do i need the sear, or can i just polish mine?
Dunno about your skills. Go ahead and polish yours if you must, but have a new sear on hand "just in case". For $25ish delivered, that's the cheapest trigger job you can buy.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Dunno about your skills. Go ahead and polish yours if you must, but have a new sear on hand "just in case". For $25ish delivered, that's the cheapest trigger job you can buy.
Agreed! Polishing sears are tricky in keeping angles and edges perfectly aligned and to OEM specs (I've tried a few...couldn't get perfect or consistent results). With a VQ MkII DI, achieve a great trigger pull reduction (>50%) and smoothness while keeping your OEM Sear for a future sale, as many used buyers seem to prefer a fully OEM stocked Ruger Rimfire!!

Ted
Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Good advice to have a backup. The sears are case hardened, which makes a hard shell on a softer interior metal. If you stone/polish thru the hard shell, it will be a matter of time until you start having problems with reliable cocking.

Also, the original MKII sears didn't seem to have too bad of a finished surface to start with. That is, compared to MKIII sears. This is the better of the 2 sears from the 2 MKIIIs I've bought NIB:

The only reason I replaced my MKII sear was the pivot hole had been worn to oblong when I purchased it (used, dirty). This made the trigger pull pretty heavy unless I put the safety on and pulled the trigger before taking the safety off and firing. The new VQ sear restored a consistent light pull weight.

Another suggestion is to polish your hammer notch. Even the VQ hammer's notch isn't terribly smooth. Hammers are very hard all the way thru, so you don't need to worry that you will go into soft metal. Just be careful to keep the angle unchanged and the edges square. I made a small jig for polishing new (to me) hammers, and work slow until the notch shines like a mirror. Usually drops the pull weight an addition 4-5 oz.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Tlnorwood

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't find the sear to be very tricky to polish. Just be consistent, slow, and steady - and check your progress often.
I use a hard ceramic stone and focus on keeping a level angle when polishing.

I'll also agree with Test_Engineer's comment about MK II versus MK III sears, as the ones that I've seen align with his experience.

The hammer is another deal completely - it's tricky and time consuming to polish your own.

I too recently bought a MK II Government and had some free time over Thanksgiving.
The sear took me maybe 30 minutes.
The hammer, several hours.

I'll probably try and reduce it further, but have at this point dropped it from 3lbs 11oz +/- to 2lbs 5oz +/- (measured on a Lyman digital scale).

Now that it's back together, I'm more interested in shooting it than taking it apart again and spending more time honing the hammer.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Although I hate to admit it, my manual skills are limited. Iím a little heavy handed

So i bought 2 triggers and 2 sears. It will be challenging enough to get them in!

Im just so excited to get my 6 inch std and Govt model to shoot as good as the slab side. The trigger makes it a totally better gun