Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
New Mark XXII

Picked up a new Mark XXII yesterday during a gun buying spree. Got it cleaned up last night. Pretty nice looking rifle. Got the trigger adjusted pretty nice so now all that's left to do is stick a scope on it and shoot. I think I'm going to move my V24 over from my 1712 to this one and put a 6x20EFR Leo on the Annie.

Anyway, here's a few crappy photos... They don't do it justice but it was late and I was tired. It's not as nice as the one 9fingers just got, but I'm happy with it.

Again, sorry for the photos... they really don't do it justice.

Have a good day.

Kenny
Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 PM
au2183
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
She's a keeper alright. Beautiful gun! Best part is, it will shoot as good as it looks. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Anyway, here's a few crappy photos... They don't do it justice but it was late and I was tired. It's not as nice as the one 9fingers just got, but I'm happy with it.

Oh I don't know about that, yours is beautiful also! Best of luck with it.
9 fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Oh I don't know about that, yours is beautiful also! Best of luck with it.
Thanks. They really are pretty rifles. I've always been partial to the more glossy look on stocks. When I refinish one, I always make it as glossy as possible. This rifle really is a nice rifle. I'm hoping it's more accurate than my CZ's, if so, I'm ahead of the game because all of mine are very accurate. If not, at least it looks nice and I can always play around with it. For it's intended purpose, it doesn't have to be one hole accurate.

I'm actually anxious to see how it does in a Silhouette match. It's lighter than my 1712 and I want to see if this gun will feel better in that setting.

It will be getting shot Sunday evening before a match. If it does well, I may try using it during the match. If not, I've got all day Monday to play with it and see how well it will do.

Have a good day.

Kenny
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 AM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Kenny, I have only had time to do about 25 rounds through mine and it was very good and a pleasure to hold and shoot (as well as look at!) but so far the indications were it would not match my CZ American or Ultra Lux. But after only 25 rounds I really don't know. I don't know if I believe in the "barrel break in theory" but am willing to give them all time to "season" and see how they do after I get 500 or 1,000 rounds through them. My main problem is that I have too many guns I want to shoot and not enough time, so I don't get to spend enough time with any one to get real conclusions. I had 11 kinds of ammo in my bag yesterday and tried most of them in my Ultra Lux, one of 3 I was shooting, so you can imagine that my scientific method for testing rifles and ammo needs a little work! But I did have loads of fun and shot probably the best group of my life. Will post a pic later if I have time. Good luck in your match!
9 fingers
Old 10-09-2010, 01:10 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Darker tip wood itís not African mahogany. Is the butt pad red or black color? It is possible this is a lower serial number gun.

Please donít take my curiosity over the wood or pad as being picky or criticism this is the least of my intentions.

All of the Weatherby Mark Twenty Two bolt actions are fantastic looking guns!

Iím happy Ed Weatherby has chosen his fathers inspired style, stock design for the Mark XXII talk about good taste!

The Mark XXII comes from Anschutz equipped with the Extra Heavy Trigger Spring (Heaviest of four available springs). I hope when a comparison
is made of the CZís versus the MKXXIIís shooting ability that both guns are set at the same trigger pull weight and pre travel distance.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
Darker tip wood itís not African mahogany. Is the butt pad red or black color? It is possible this is a lower serial number gun.

Please donít take my curiosity over the wood or pad as being picky or criticism this is the least of my intentions.

All of the Weatherby Mark Twenty Two bolt actions are fantastic looking guns!

Iím happy Ed Weatherby has chosen his fathers inspired style, stock design for the Mark XXII talk about good taste!

The Mark XXII comes from Anschutz equipped with the Extra Heavy Trigger Spring (Heaviest of four available springs). I hope when a comparison
is made of the CZís versus the MKXXIIís shooting ability that both guns are set at the same trigger pull weight and pre travel distance.
It has a black rubber recoil pad. Actually, that's the only part of the rifle that doesn't look right. The entire rifle looks very well finished, no sanding marks, barrel and action is true in stock, etc. The recoil pad has very rough edges and looks like something you'd stick on an old beater shotgun. I'll probably dress it up someday, it looks that cheap.

I've got the trigger down to 2 lbs 3 oz right now. I can't go under 2 if I want to try it at the match. I'll stick in a lighter spring and tweek it when I want to test for exactly how accurate it is.

I've read many places where the Mark XXII's are about on par with the CZs. Some better, some worse. We'll see how this one does. All of my 22LR CZ's are now set up for peep sights, I don't have an American in 22LR and that's the model that more closely compares to this one. I can get an American model, I found 2 a friend stashed away. He's keeping one for me in case this rifle isn't up to what I expected.

Again, as long as it's close to what the CZs have shown they can do when scoped, I'll be happy. I've got a 1712 that's the most accurate gun I'll ever shoot but I'm now only using that at matches. I don't expect this one to be that good, but if it's close, I'll be very happy.

This was a complete whim purchase. I'm still trying to figure out why I bought it. But it really is a nice looking rifle. I don't think I'll regret getting it.

I'll update on it's accuracy and how I like it sometime early next week. I'm going to try to shoot it early tomorrow morning to get an idea of what ammo it likes. If it goes well, I may try it later that morning in a match. If not, I'm going to shoot the snot out of it Monday morning, so I should know exactly how it stands.

Kenny
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
johnbe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful rifle. I picked up my new mark XXII a little over a week ago. Put a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope on it and dead centered it for yard work at 20 yards. The gun doesn't like to extract unfired rounds. Does just fine with empties, but tends to leave the unfired cartriges in the chamber. They have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Took it back to my dealer 2 days ago for a return to the factory for repair. They said they'd call me when it gets back. Cost me $25 for shipping.

Last edited by johnbe; 11-07-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
kseatm,

I've been using my XXII in silhouette for most of this year. It is like a laser for me. In matches I use RWS Target Rifle. In practice I use a variety of ammo. CCI Standard works real well for me as a practice ammo.

RWS Target Rifle shoots at about 3/4" at a hundred yards for me off the bench with a 24x Leopold. If you can find some of this ammo, give it a try.

These are shot at 100 yards. That last one is with Wolf MT and was at 109 yards. If I hadn't dropped that low shot it would have been a super nice group.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Trent
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
If you have 1712, why are you mess'n with a 64 action for silhouette? Just for fun?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent View Post
If you have 1712, why are you mess'n with a 64 action for silhouette? Just for fun?

That's a question I've been asking myself all the time since I got this thing. It was an impulse by. I stopped by a gunshop to pick up a Brno Model 3 I ordered from Denny. I then went over to another gun shop just to look around. I found an old Volstok CM2 that was beat to heck. Since it was drilled and tapped, plus not well taken care of, the guy sold it to me at a pretty good price. I got it just for a refinish project.

As I was filling out the paperwork, I saw the XXII on the wall and asked about it. I love the looks of the gun, and it really is light and fits me well. I thought, what the heck. So I got it.

I thought since it was lighter and seemed to fit me a little better than my Annie, I'd give it a go at a match. But beforehand, between the ejection and trying to get something to shoot decent, I just put it back and used the 1712.

I love my 1712. It's like you mentioned, a laser. I don't mean just some of the time either, it just shoots. But, I guess I'm just curious how the XXII would do in a match. I'll get it straight and try it out once or twice this summer but if it doesn't do what I want, I'll stick it in the back of the safe and stay with the 1712.

Honestly, I think all of my CZs are more accurate than it is. But, it's getting there. I've just gotten some of the RWS 50 to try in it. I've shot the Target Rifle and Rife Match with terrible results. I think the bricks of those two must be bad lots though. I haven't found but 1 gun that would shoot any of them halfway decent... and it's the most inaccurate rimfire I own. Even my 1712 hates the stuff, and that thing could shoot gravels accurately. I just picked up a few boxes of the RWS Match and Rifle Match to try again. Maybe it really was just some bad lots, we'll see.

I guess I just like to try different guns. It's to the point now that when I go to the range, I take 6 or 7 and shoot from daylight until my sons get home from school. Then a few days later, I take different ones and do it again. Starting this spring, I'm going to be shooting with a gang of guys every Sunday evening too. It's kind of nice only having to work a couple of days a week!

It really is fun, as I've never been much on target shooting until the last 2 years. Heck, I'd never been on a range other than while in the Military until the last couple of years. Now, I'm trying to shoot at every range or event I can find.

Have a good day,

Kenny
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guys,
I tried a bunch of ammo and found my xxII really loves Winchester 40grhp Power Point.. At 50' it just keeps making the first shot hole a touch bigger with each following shot.

I shot a 98 out of 100 in Standing Slow Fire in my first CMP Rimfire Sporter Match. It's a shooting rifle, for sure!!

Oh, and at 50' I started out the match with the scope at the highest allowed magnification, at 6x... Everything was a bit fuzzy and halfway through the match my scores increased greatly after figuring out that I could actually see the target clearly when I took it down to 4x..

My standing scores were better than my prone scores, because of this..

Next time... GOLD!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post
Beautiful rifle. I picked up my new mark XXII a little over a week ago. Put a Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33 scope on it and dead centered it for yard work at 20 yards. The gun doesn't like to extract unfired rounds. Does just fine with empties, but tends to leave the unfired cartriges in the chamber. They have to be removed with a cleaning rod. Took it back to my dealer 2 days ago for a return to the factory for repair. They said they'd call me when it gets back. Cost me $25 for shipping.
Weatherby called to tell me that the rifle will work better with some ammos than others. Some will stick others don't. So I need to try different ammos to find the ones that don't get stuck when extracting live rounds. I think my Winchester Super-X ammo is too long for the chamber. Any ammo recommendations?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
johnbe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Weatherby called to tell me that the rifle will work better with some ammos than others. Some will stick others don't. So I need to try different ammos to find the ones that don't get stuck when extracting live rounds. I think my Winchester Super-X ammo is too long for the chamber. Any ammo recommendations?
Tested the cycling of Fiocchi, Remington Target Rifle, Remington Viper, Remington Game Loads, RWS Subsonic HP, and Federal Game Shock.

The ammos that ejected flawlessly were Remington Target Rifle and the RWS. Both of these are lead bullets. The rounds that jammed were all copper clad.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Tested the cycling of Fiocchi, Remington Target Rifle, Remington Viper, Remington Game Loads, RWS Subsonic HP, and Federal Game Shock.

The ammos that ejected flawlessly were Remington Target Rifle and the RWS. Both of these are lead bullets. The rounds that jammed were all copper clad.
Sounds like you're making progress. I don't shoot much, if any, copper washed bullets in most of my rimfires. If this is going to be used for hunting, try some of the RWS and SK subsonic hollow points. Both of these do great in all of my guns. Got them originally for hunting but then stumbled into an HM2. I'll never use the 22LR again for squirrels. I've been shooting all the sub hp ammo up and am really surprised how accurate they shoot. Both hang pretty close to the regular SK and RWS target ammo.

Anyway, try some. If they work as far as extraction, they should do great for you for a hunting round.

Keep us updated.

Merry Christmas,

Kenny