Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:24 PM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help: Need to make an "IN" or "OUT" Decision

As my handle says, I'm a plinker. However, I really want to support my club and they are asking for in/out decisions by members if they will support and participate in a new 200 yard rifle activity early next year.

I'm a rimfire only shooter in rifles. I know zip about shooting beyond 100 yards - mostly at 50 yards.

These guys are equipped to the hilt in CF stuff, maybe a couple of .17s, but it's a very nice group to be a part of. This is an unlimited kind of recreational competition. It will be mostly about just having fun and showing up, but with no experience at this distance, I feel a bit "naked" at the moment.

So what am I getting into.....

I have a new to me Anschutz 54 (I think - single shot, massive square bottom BR stock - date stamp '85 IIRC) with an "ancient" Leupold x24 AO scope with reticles so thin I can hardly see them - pretty low contrast to boot. I'm guessing the scope can handle the ballistics drop, but I hate to take that for granted. That's what I would have to go with. Plus the guy behind all this is clearly identifiable as a "senior," with some of the impediments of that stereotype, but then so are my "buddies".

Right now with limited familiarity with this setup, I'm shooting about 3/5 in a 1/2 bull at 50. (Using a potload of Aguila SV lead RN.) Needing to change targets because I loose the crosshairs in anything that has a large black background for the bull.

The exact parameters of this event are yet to be determined. It's still an open call, no RF/CF partitioning.

So as a novice to this thing, with only a very few times to get ready - what would you do? If YES, how would you get ready?

Thanks for listening,

Roger

BTW, I did a quick read on several threads that seemed to touch on this distance and I must say, I'm totally impressed by the level of expertise here and I hope I'm not wasting your time. If what I need to know is encapsulated in a few threads, pointers would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since there are no exact parameters set yet except for the 200 yard distance I would wait for more information before making a decision. Experience has thought me to know a bit more than you can offer before jumping into something as vague as what your situation seems to be..
Old 12-04-2019, 03:24 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Head to the range with y'er rig and try it.
Using Aguila SV with the scope zeroed at 50 yards,
You will need to aim roughly 58 inches above where you want to hit at 200 yards.

Change the focus but not the vertical for y'er first attempt.

I use a setup like this to attach to the target frame.
Allows me to use rifles that don't have the vertical adjustment range.

Once you know where y'er hitting, then you can see if the scope will adjust that far.
If not, just keep using the elevated aimpoint.

Last edited by jaia; 12-04-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Head to the range with y'er rig and try it.
Using Aguila SV with the scope zeroed at 50 yards,
You will need to aim roughly 58 inches above where you want to hit at 200 yards.

Change the focus but not the vertical for y'er first attempt.

I use a setup like this to attach to the target frame.
Allows me to use rifles that don't have the vertical adjustment range.

Once you know where y'er hitting, then you can see if the scope will adjust that far.
If not, just keep using the elevated aimpoint.
Thanks for the pointer on the "aiming stick." Good solution for getting on paper. I'm living in somewhat of a vacuum getting into participation this late in the game. I'm an Illinois transplant to Arizona. In Illinois we don't have 200 yards of unposted land to set up a range. Anything that was remotely near a populated area has now been shut down by human incursion. Arizona is a much better place to "learn/practice", some great public ranges in the Phoenix area and I'll have time to practice and observe.

Roger
Old 12-05-2019, 10:57 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Since there are no exact parameters set yet except for the 200 yard distance I would wait for more information before making a decision. Experience has thought me to know a bit more than you can offer before jumping into something as vague as what your situation seems to be..
Absolutely, pressing for details but like "most corporate events" they're planning the event without knowing what it is :-)

Thanks for weighing in..

Roger
Old 12-04-2019, 04:06 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hi Roger, if you just like to get out and shoot with others and don't mind ending up in the middle to bottom of the pack heck yeah why not.

It's going to be really hard to be competitive against center fires at 200 yards though so if you're a competitive sort I'd find a rimfire specific game to compete in. You have a fine rifle for it.

Frank
Old 12-04-2019, 06:25 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Depending on the target the fine cross hairs will be fine and so will the 24X to get started. The issue with the scope is it most likely will not have enough vertical adjustment to reach 200 yards. At 58 inches from a 50 yard zero and 1/4 minute clicks you are going to need about 111 clicks and there are very few scopes that have that much elevation from the center of it's range. Some go the route of using a 20MOA rail to have enough elevation. I was shooting long range silhouette matches from 65 to 200 meters for 10 years. Many of us inserted about .020 or two layers of soda can under the rear ring. I actually started out with .030 and still could zero at 25 yards but if I did it again I would stick with .020. But you only need about 7 inch pounds on the rings to hold the scope in place. Don't make it farmer tight or you risk crushing the erector tube.

And before any one screams "You can't use shims!" the directions that came with my Weaver T 24 and T36 both said "As any good gunsmith knows if you run out of elevation adjustment you can use shims in the scope rings". And for the record, my scope had to make about 10 elevation adjustments at each match and always tracked perfectly. I won 45 of 60 matches using shims and made 15 records along the way.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5 years ago I had 3 rifles, all 22LR. Today I have 12 and 5 are RF.

I'd buy a T/C Compass (or Savage Axis or whatever), probably .223 Rem. Less than $300.
Then maybe a Nikon 4-12X I've seen on sale for about $110. Get some Weaver GS rings at Walmart for $23.
Try some of the Frontier ammo with Match bullets.

Good excuse to get into the CF world and if you don't like it you could sell it all with little loss.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 12-04-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
5 years ago I had 3 rifles, all 22LR. Today I have 12 and 5 are RF.

I'd buy a T/C Compass (or Savage Axis or whatever), probably .223 Rem. Less than $300.
Then maybe a Nikon 4-12X I've seen on sale for about $110. Get some Weaver GS rings at Walmart for $23.
Try some of the Frontier ammo with Match bullets.

Good excuse to get into the CF world and if you don't like it you could sell it all with little loss.
A new gun is always the obvious solution . The CFO is a bit hesitant and I think I'll need to see how this plays out before going that route. However, the first think I did when I saw the "invitation email" was to go to Buds and search for a Ruger Precision Rifle in .223. A couple of years ago I thought I saw they were in production, but now I don't find any evidence of that. I've bookmarked your suggestions and they are in a much better price range than what the RPR would have been. One of my club-mates shoots a RPR in .22lr and I fell for its level of adjustment. I'm short torsoed, long arms big hands and a partially fused neck so seeing me coil around a rifle is almost humorous if you aren't the one doing it.

Best Regards,
Roger
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
Depending on the target the fine cross hairs will be fine and so will the 24X to get started. The issue with the scope is it most likely will not have enough vertical adjustment to reach 200 yards. At 58 inches from a 50 yard zero and 1/4 minute clicks you are going to need about 111 clicks and there are very few scopes that have that much elevation from the center of it's range. Some go the route of using a 20MOA rail to have enough elevation. I was shooting long range silhouette matches from 65 to 200 meters for 10 years. Many of us inserted about .020 or two layers of soda can under the rear ring. I actually started out with .030 and still could zero at 25 yards but if I did it again I would stick with .020. But you only need about 7 inch pounds on the rings to hold the scope in place. Don't make it farmer tight or you risk crushing the erector tube.

And before any one screams "You can't use shims!" the directions that came with my Weaver T 24 and T36 both said "As any good gunsmith knows if you run out of elevation adjustment you can use shims in the scope rings". And for the record, my scope had to make about 10 elevation adjustments at each match and always tracked perfectly. I won 45 of 60 matches using shims and made 15 records along the way.
I'll see what my setup can do and hopefully I won't have to "go to school" on the shims. Thanks for the tip/pointer. I'm having trouble visualising where the shims go, perhaps I don't understand scopes; under the rear ring.... oh!! Does that allow you to shift the downward adjustment into the upward plane of adjustment?

Thanks, again

Roger
Old 12-05-2019, 11:12 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Roger, Roger.

Word of warning.
If you start the 200 yard game with rimfire,
you run the risk of boredom at 50 yards.

What's y'er vector Victor?
Roger, over. Hunh?

Airplane was a sick movie.
Best scene was Robert Stack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo

Last edited by jaia; 12-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM
TDplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
Roger, Roger.

Word of warning.
If you start the 200 yard game with rimfire,
you run the risk of boredom at 50 yards. ;rolleyes:

What's y'er vector Victor?
Roger, over. Hunh?

Airplane was a sick movie.
Best scene was Robert Stack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo
I grew up in the plains and woodlands of Nebraska with a .22 in my hands. My mom taught me to shoot and my uncles taught me how to cross fences, ravines and not to P** on an electric fence. I loved shooting, but I needed to follow the jobs to have a family. A lot of decades and a stint in Idaho intervened between then and now. Idaho was a great shooting sports respite, but now I'm ready to chase the rabbit again.

I may have to suppress the competitive spirit and just participate (and enjoy) till I can lot a course. But I doubt it will "hurt" my pride - too much.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDplinker View Post
I'll see what my setup can do and hopefully I won't have to "go to school" on the shims. Thanks for the tip/pointer. I'm having trouble visualising where the shims go, perhaps I don't understand scopes; under the rear ring.... oh!! Does that allow you to shift the downward adjustment into the upward plane of adjustment?

Thanks, again

Roger
The shims go under the scope in the rear ring. It's hard to explain. I use two shims. The bottom one is longer than the next one. So in effect, there are two points contacting the scope on both sides. Some guys use business cards, some use aluminum can, I happened to use some copper sheeting. About .020 of shims is enough to reach 200 meters. For some rifles you can buy 20MOA scope mounds but they are expensive and the tend to cover the loading port. I bough one fro BKL but it was tilted the wrong way for an Anschutz so I went back to the shims.

The effect of raising the rear of the scope is the scope is now pointing down meaning you have to point the barrel higher. That give you elevation without any adjustment to the scope. That means that now you have more elevation in the scope adjustment so you can shoot at longer ranges. AGAIN, you only need about 7 inch pounds on the scope rings, not 15 inch pounds. Because the scope is now "crooked" in the rings it take very little to hold the scope from moving.