New member - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Radman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hey all, just purchased a SS Mark 2 Government 6.8" it's a 1991. Have owned numerous 22 pistols over the years but this one blows them away with accuracy. Looking to maybe do a few upgrades to it. Any suggestions? Only doing upgrades because I just like to.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 PM
Outbuilding
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestions? Yes, post photos so we can drool over it. I haven't done anything to my Mk II except shoot it, and tweak the trigger over travel screw. It shoots better than I do. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Old 11-30-2019, 10:04 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Radman1. Yes there are mods you can diy. Volquartsen trigger etc.. Shop their website and their ebay website.

I just purchased a Government model too, and while i was planning and plotting what to do i ran across a completely VQ d slab side so now i have both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 381008C6-5E76-466C-81AB-A195705E83C9.jpg (525.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 5032EBF3-83E0-4ABF-B527-70405BC57222.jpg (511.1 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 10:15 PM
Radman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like that VQ slabside Toomany, looking at a couple of those Volthane grips on the Bay at the moment, just dont feel like paying $51 plus shipping from Volquartsen right now. Anyone seeing this post I am looking for VQ parts used or new if the price is right.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:57 PM
WilCox
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wirthwein Guns has VQ Volthanes for MKII for $29.99

https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Volq...-p/vcrg-2r.htm
Old 12-01-2019, 12:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ThanksWilcox
Old 12-01-2019, 09:56 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your new Ruger Government MKII pistol! I put the Volquartsen Accurizer kit in my MKII Target pistol and the results are outstanding. It's not cheap, but well worth it.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:01 AM
edlmann

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman1 View Post
Hey all, just purchased a SS Mark 2 Government 6.8" it's a 1991. Have owned numerous 22 pistols over the years but this one blows them away with accuracy. Looking to maybe do a few upgrades to it. Any suggestions? Only doing upgrades because I just like to.
Sure. Regarding the Volquartsen Custom kit:

Volquartsen has stainless triggers on clearance for $23. Their Black Friday deal (free shipping and 25% off clearance items) makes these $17.25 each, shipped. I bought four just because.

The target sear would be $25.50, but only so long as the Black Friday pricing lasts (until 11:59PM Monday).
Old 12-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman1 View Post
RM,

Hello and Welcome to the RFC MkII Forum Thread!

Congrats on your MkII Goverment SS 6 7/8"!! I have the MkII SS 6 7/8" competition slab sided, and after a few AM drop-in parts...for me, really love the action that offers and the additional accuracy that can come with these mods!!!

FWIW, After several good shooting sessions, Determine for Yourself: Is the pre-travel (PT) too long-any creep while getting to the sear break-do you have too much over-travel (OT)-when released, does the trigger dis-connector (DC) consistently reset the action-Overall, how does the pull weight of the action feel/measure??? This model should have the Ruger Target trigger that offers an "Overtravel adjustment screw" (in the front face of the trigger, above the pivot point) that can be fine tuned to minimize travel (OT) after the sear break! IF/WHEN you decide, there are other mods (drop-ins, etc.) that can be done to achieve a really fine-tuned target trigger action in the MkII's.

However, I'd first recommend getting a brick or so of really good ammo (CCI Mini Mag 1235fps 40Gr CPRN are clean and accurate-My Favorite) through it and get a feel of the trigger and action...you may want to leave it well enough alone! If it's been fired a lot before, then you may already have it broken-in with a smoothed and fine as-is action. With an "already great accuracy" shooter, may be hard to improve on and may not be worth the effort, time or $$$ of trying to accurize any further!

Answer these above questions for yourself, then you'll be in a better position to take it further, one step at a time!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98; 12-01-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So really all i need is the target trigger and sear? Do i need the bushing? And why are the parts in green iffy?
Old 12-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
So really all i need is the target trigger and sear?
Yep.

Quote:
Do i need the bushing?
No.

Quote:
And why are the parts in green iffy?
1) plunger - The plunger is good. It's probably a little harder than the Ruger plunger and will hold up better to abrasion from the Ruger disconnector. If using a VQ disconnector (round peg contact point), it makes no difference.

2) spring - The spring is lighter for a reduced pull weight. But it's made of thinner wire and becomes too weak for reliable resets. It took about 7 months in my case, and I went back to the Ruger spring.

3) bushing - This bushing is okay, but no better than OEM. Edleman and myself are converts/believers in Clark Custom pin/bushing kits. Hard to find these days, but they are made with tighter tolerances for more consistent trigger pulls than are possible with the factory hammer pin.

4) hammer - The VQ hammer is less reliable IME than the Ruger hammer. It has a hole drilled thru to reduce weight for a faster lock time. If you compare hammer drop outside a pistol, you'll find the VQ hammer is MUCH faster than OEM. But once installed, it's only a TINY bit faster. That's because the reduced weight will slow the hammer more in an environment where friction exists.

If you adjust your overtravel out to the point the hammer barely releases, you will find you have to physically push the hammer forward during reassembly. You will be feeling the friction from the sear that's present every shot - regardless of overtravel setting.

The notch in the back of the VQ hammer is also cut a bit too wide IMO. It allows the strut to get a bit "sideways" - binding and increasing friction also. The result is sometimes the VQ hammer will hit with less force than OEM - producing light strikes.

I will only use Ruger MKI/MKII hammers in any mark pistol I own. Same with the firing pin. You just can't improve on some things with "new" gimmicks.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Radman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info. guys, this forum is proving to be a valuable resource.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do i need the sear, or can i just polish mine?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 AM
edlmann

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Do i need the sear, or can i just polish mine?
Dunno about your skills. Go ahead and polish yours if you must, but have a new sear on hand "just in case". For $25ish delivered, that's the cheapest trigger job you can buy.