Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Modified firing pin for 6 Oclock Ignition

Think it would work? The bolt could probably have the radius cut with a carbide slotting wheel. A prototype firing pin could be made from tool steel similar to a knife blank.

Just a concept, not a final design.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This might be a little more elegant and easier to cut into the bolt:

Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 AM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you're going to that much trouble, I would go to a double impact point, 6 & 12 o'clock. Add or leave (depending on your point of view) a firing pin protrusion at the top (12 o'clock). The Freedom Arms pistols have a firing pin that hits at 12 & 6 o'clock. I think the Ruger action has enough hammer impact for it.

Nolan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
If you're going to that much trouble, I would go to a double impact point, 6 & 12 o'clock. Add or leave (depending on your point of view) a firing pin protrusion at the top (12 o'clock). The Freedom Arms pistols have a firing pin that hits at 12 & 6 o'clock. I think the Ruger action has enough hammer impact for it.

Nolan
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There's no way to ask this without appearing 'snarky' however I have 2 questions:
1. For 56 years and 6-7 Million examples (plus clones) the 10/22 has worked just fine with 12 o'clock ignition.
2. What's the point of 6 o'clock ignition?

Pro Patria

Cives Arma Ferant

Cuiusque Devotio est Vis Regimenti
Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Two questions.. Wouldn't losing case support over the slot be an issue? At what point would increasing the weight of the firing pin require increasing FP and hammer spring rates?
Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
There's no way to ask this without appearing 'snarky' however I have 2 questions:
1. For 56 years and 6-7 Million examples (plus clones) the 10/22 has worked just fine with 12 o'clock ignition.
2. What's the point of 6 o'clock ignition?
Snarky is fine, I was hoping someone would ask.

Of all the ignition schemes I've seen, 6 o'clock is the one that intuitively makes sense to me, I think I read about it in Bill Calfee's book. The theory is that there may be empty space in the cartridge at 12 o'clock, 6 o'clock insures the ignition occurs at a location guaranteed to ignite the maximum amount of powder.

I don't know how much of the case volume is empty in the different brands and styles of rimfire cartridges but 6 o'clock ignition makes it unnecessary to even consider.

Good to see you posting, you've been scarce lately.

Last edited by Bigbore; 10-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post

Nolan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
It should be easy enough and I have read about a few double strike designs. I think it would be interesting to try 6 o'clock first and see if a quantifiable difference can be observed. My hope is two ignition sources wouldn't be needed if you light the bottom of the powder pile.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
It should be easy enough and I have read about a few double strike designs. I think it would be interesting to try 6 o'clock first and see if a quantifiable difference can be observed. My hope is two ignition sources wouldn't be needed if you light the bottom of the powder pile.
From the varmint hunter consumerís prospective, Iíd be interested in the dual strike bolt for reliability. How many times have you had a failure to fire with a good strike, rotate the cartridge and it fires with the second good strike? If there is a rat in the chicken coop, I want that gun to go bang every time. A FTF could mean another dead chicken and time spent looking for the ejected live cartridge so the chickens donít eat it.