Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:08 PM
the_mule
US Air Force Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RAR Trigger RANT

What is the deal with everyone posting about how poor the RAR trigger is? Compared to other firearms that I have experience with it’s without a doubt the lightest, AND it’s adjustable to be even LIGHTER. I’m over here scratching my head because almost every post on this forum mentions something negative about the factory RAR trigger. Currently I’m working with a factory Glock 19, a 1945 M1 Garand, & an AR-15 with a single stage trigger. There have been others..none of which were ever “match grade” this or “bench rest” that. Still..the RAR factory trigger surprises me with how light it is & that lends itself to minute of soda can accuracy. Change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by the_mule; 08-24-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: the_mule changed the Moderators comment.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Rick_W
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a RAR Target and a Savage MK II SV-FR in the local gun store last week.

The RAR trigger was noticeably heavier than the Savage MK II trigger.

I don't know if this is common as I'm just starting my search for a rifle but if the rifles were identical in every other way, I'd take the Savage for the trigger. As it was, the Savage was $200 cheaper (plastic stocked MK II vs laminate RAR) so it followed me home.

Also note, I don't know how much adjustment the RAR trigger had remaining as I was just handling what the store had on the rack.

Last edited by OldWolf; 07-08-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: deleting another members profanity
Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM
the_mule

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
I picked up a RAR Target and a Savage MK II SV-FR in the local gun store last week.

I don't know if this is common as I'm just starting my search for a rifle but if the rifles were identical in every other way, I'd take the Savage for the trigger. As it was, the Savage was $200 cheaper (plastic stocked MK II vs laminate RAR) so it followed me home.

Also note, I don't know how much adjustment the RAR trigger had remaining as I was just handling what the store had on the rack.

I haven’t tried a Savage MK II as much as I would like to. How convenient that there is no mention of pull weight about the “accutrigger” on their website. Ruger claims “three and five pounds” adjustable with the Ruger Marksman Adjustable trigger. That whole range is not “heavy” IMHO. I have competed in a GSSF indoor match with a factory Glock trigger without so much as a 25 cent trigger job & won first place - A Class against dudes running polished triggers & aftermarket ones. I ran a factory Marlin 795 trigger albeit aftermarket peep sights to qualify at a local Project Appleseed event. So, everyone screaming “I nEeD 1.5 lBs So I cAn Be AcCuRaTe” needs to practice, practice, practice with their 3 - 5 lb factory trigger before deciding to cut/pull/replace/yank a spring from the action of their RAR. Rant OVER.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mule View Post
I haven’t tried a Savage MK II as much as I would like to. How convenient that there is no mention of pull weight about the “accutrigger” on their website. Ruger claims “three and five pounds” adjustable with the Ruger Marksman Adjustable trigger. That whole range is not “heavy” IMHO. I have competed in a GSSF indoor match with a factory Glock trigger without so much as a 25 cent trigger job & won first place - A Class against dudes running polished triggers & aftermarket ones. I ran a factory Marlin 795 trigger albeit aftermarket peep sights to qualify at a local Project Appleseed event. So, everyone screaming “I nEeD 1.5 lBs So I cAn Be AcCuRaTe” needs to practice, practice, practice with their 3 - 5 lb factory trigger before deciding to cut/pull/replace/yank a spring from the action of their RAR. Rant OVER.

I'm not familiar with any of those competitions you've mentioned.

An exceptional shooter with an average rifle will typically do better than an average shooter with an exceptional rifle.

With that said, if you can feel the trigger causing shot-to-shot variance due to heavy pull weight why would you want to practice that way if you had the ability (and finances) to take the trigger out of the equation?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:50 PM
the_mule

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I'm not familiar with any of those competitions you've mentioned.

An exceptional shooter with an average rifle will typically do better than an average shooter with an exceptional rifle.

With that said, if you can feel the trigger causing shot-to-shot variance due to heavy pull weight why would you want to practice that way if you had the ability (and finances) to take the trigger out of the equation?

I would say that I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m perhaps an average shooter with below average rifles. I do not “feel” the triggers causing shot-to-shot variance. I do notice however that sight alignment & breathing play more of a major role in shot-to-shot variance. Also, I do notice when I jerk or slap the trigger, but I think I have that just about under control. I leave the triggers alone & do just fine as an average shooter with below average rifles & pistols. YMMV.

P.S. I found a $100 bill on the ground today. Thinking of throwing it at the RAR somehow. Ammo maybe?

Old 07-07-2019, 07:40 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
There are several ways to safely reduce the trigger pull on an RAR. A Google search will quickly show you the options and you can decide for yourself which is the right approach for you.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 PM
uscav8r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

The Savage AccuTrigger is considered one of the best factory triggers out of the box. Just because the RAR trigger isn’t quite as good doesn’t mean it sucks! LOL

Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscav8r View Post
Just because the RAR trigger isn’t quite as good doesn’t mean it sucks! LOL

Who said it sucks?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:53 PM
uscav8r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Who said it sucks?

I just thought it a funny (and lopsided) comparison is all.

FWIW, I think the RAR has a pretty decent trigger. I do slightly prefer the trigger on my CZ Scout to that on my RAR Compact.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscav8r View Post
I just thought it a funny (and lopsided) comparison is all.

FWIW, I think the RAR has a pretty decent trigger. I do slightly prefer the trigger on my CZ Scout to that on my RAR Compact.

As I stated in my post comparing the two, I'm just delving into the precision rimfire world.

In my local area the only samples I have to hold are from Ruger and Savage.

If Ruger is marketing a rifle as a "Target" rifle I would expect that trigger to be as good as the trigger on a base model Savage costing ~$200 less. Color me silly.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:32 PM
the_mule

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shot these two separately at 20 yds tonight, one shot each, standing, unsupported, iron sights, CCI quiet-22, & no trigger mods or adjustments.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mule View Post
Shot these two separately at 20 yds tonight, one shot each, standing, unsupported, iron sights, CCI quiet-22, & no trigger mods or adjustments.

I can't see standard iron sights - it's all a blur. I can wear my distance lenses and mostly see the front sight or reading lenses and see the rear sight.

It's a great thing to be able to choose what mods we want to do, if any, to all the guns that we choose to own.

Do you shoot any competitions?
Old 07-07-2019, 07:57 PM
the_mule

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
QUOTE=Rick_W;11537055]I can't see standard iron sights - it's all a blur. I can wear my distance lenses and mostly see the front sight or reading lenses and see the rear sight.

It's a great thing to be able to choose what mods we want to do, if any, to all the guns that we choose to own.

Do you shoot any competitions?[/QUOTE]

Competitions? No. I have toddlers, man. Give me a few years. Haha.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Competitions? No. I have toddlers, man. Give me a few years. Haha.

I'm looking at the online competitions.

Print out a target and shoot it, then post a picture of your results.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Rick_W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
I can't speak to the RAR trigger but I have a Savage FV-SR and the accu-trigger will not adjust as low as Savage advertises. I do have a RPR and it's trigger is superior to the Savage's by quite a bit.
I've not tried to adjust the FV-SR trigger, it "feels" really good as is.

I'm going to try and get to a few more semi-local stores and handle as many rifles as I can, see how the RAR triggers compare.