Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I suspect that we will be...

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  tfrank 
#1 ·
I suspect that we will be seeing a resurgence of projects being completed that were set aside for lack of time to do them. Well at least I hope so. Been eyeballing a Hopkins & Allen that I fitted a 51M(a) barrel to that need a new stock carved for it, and a few other items resolved. Have 2 Flatbacks in progress, and those are just the ones that are close to completion. There are more, actually quite a few more!!!:eek::rolleyes: What can I say, I've had Mossbergitus for at least 2 decades!!! And I am an accumulator AND a procrastinator!!! Hi, My name is Frank and I have a problem... insufficient storage space, and too little play time!!!:rolleyes::p
God Bless, Frank.

#3 ·
Frank, I could not have said it better. My collectors card says "Accumulator"but I left off the "procrastinator" - doesn't mean I'm not just that I do not have room with the other information. I do have a few projects also but no warm shop space (old shed) and very limited storage never mind show space. - Bill

#5 ·
I wish I could say the same, but haven’t bought any project rifles in awhile. But I have plenty to keep me busy. Been repairing a lot of vintage peeps and slinging them on eBay. Most are lasting maybe a day, I guess they are gathering the needed parts to complete there projects.

#8 ·
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean its up to me to post the first pictures???!!!!!:rolleyes: Well ok then!!! Top one is a Model 50, bottom one is a Model 51M. The model 50 except for the refinished stock is unaltered. The 51M had a "sporterized stock on it that I thought was poorly done so to alleviate what I considered poor contouring I cut a bit off of the front of the stock and added a "rosewood" tip. There are threads on both of these rifles, but they are buried somewhere on this forum and with the fuzzed up photo bucket pictures to boot.:( Pretty sure I have ALL of the parts to put these 2 rifles completely back together and get them up and running. If I can just find where I put those parts. I think the parts are in a safe in ziplock baggies but I haven't had the time to look yet. Have spent the last 3 days cleaning out the "man cave" and throwing away lots of dust collectors and space stealers as my son calls them.:rolleyes:

A little closer view of the 2!!!

And just for grins!!! Some other projects!!! The bottom one is an 1894 Favorite, middle one is a Hopkins & Allen 922 relined to 17M2 and the top one is a 1915 Favorite!!! The 2 Favorites are staying 22 LR although with Bentz chambers!!! And all 3 are sporting stocks I carved from scratch!!!:D

Way too many projects!!!:rolleyes::shakehead
God Bless, Frank.

#11 ·
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean its up to me to post the first pictures???!!!!!:rolleyes: Well ok then!!! Top one is a Model 50, bottom one is a Model 51M. The model 50 except for the refinished stock is unaltered. The 51M had a "sporterized stock on it that I thought was poorly done so to alleviate what I considered poor contouring I cut a bit off of the front of the stock and added a "rosewood" tip. There are threads on both of these rifles, but they are buried somewhere on this forum and with the fuzzed up photo bucket pictures to boot.:( Pretty sure I have ALL of the parts to put these 2 rifles completely back together and get them up and running. If I can just find where I put those parts. I think the parts are in a safe in ziplock baggies but I haven't had the time to look yet. Have spent the last 3 days cleaning out the "man cave" and throwing away lots of dust collectors and space stealers as my son calls them.:rolleyes:

A little closer view of the 2!!!

And just for grins!!! Some other projects!!! The bottom one is an 1894 Favorite, middle one is a Hopkins & Allen 922 relined to 17M2 and the top one is a 1915 Favorite!!! The 2 Favorites are staying 22 LR although with Bentz chambers!!! And all 3 are sporting stocks I carved from scratch!!!:D

Way too many projects!!!:rolleyes::shakehead
God Bless, Frank.
Darn,you do REALLY NICE work!!!!!!!

#9 ·
VERY nice work on those stocks. I’ve got a special place in my heart for nice old Mossbergs and Stevens Favorites. My daughter’s first rifle (at age 6) was a Stevens Favorite. I had the half round half octagon barrel relined and shortened to 16 inches. And a friend of mine, Charles Carder (of H&A fame) did the stock work from a semi fancy Fagen stock. He did a nice job but unfortunately has now passed on. Your work would be VERY acceptable (how’s that for an understatement)!

#10 ·
Nice work all. Hey, besides the pics can you also include what your finish was and how you applied it? Just so if someone is interested they can have an idea of how to get there. Now if it's a old family receipt of BLO, stain and olive oil for the flavor and rubbed in with old socks ok.:p:D

#12 · (Edited)
No socks or olive oil, just...

No socks or olive oil, just lots of coats of Tung Oil. That's it, pretty simple, huh!!! Probably at least a dozen coats, because half or better gets sanded back off. Then the final coat of Tung oil with a bit of "rotten stone" to give it a nice satin glow. None of those stocks are finished yet, just thought you might like to know. Still need to fill some of the pores in the wood. That is what really takes so long.
God Bless, Frank.

#18 ·
What, isn't anyone doing projects???

What, isn't anyone doing projects???:confused: Well anyway this is where I am with the model 50.

So who else is working on something Mossberg??? Start a thread, keep me entertained!!!:rolleyes:
I did figure out one thing that had been giving me troubles... why I was having such a hard time getting a nice gloss finish. Turns out the can of Tung Oil was really old and and lost too much of its more volatile components.:rolleyes: AKA, it was THICK. Tried another can of Minwax Tung Oil and the glossy sheen was back!!!:D So several other project stocks got a fresh coat of Tung Oil applied. Think the rifles in the top 2 pictures in post #8!!!
God Bless, Frank.

#20 ·
Nah...

Nah, that is one of the ways of how I hold a stock when I am refinishing it. In this case it is 4" long #14 wood screw. Or a 1/2" diameter hole for an oak dowel, IF I drill a 1/2" hole for that dowel, just depends on the rifle in question!!! Didn't have a 5/8" dowel which will fit the hole in the stock that is for the mag tube, which is my preferred method for rifles with the mag tube through the butt stock.

Stock on the left, 51M w/5/8" dowel in the mag tube for holding
Middle stock, Large ring Turk Mauser w/1/2" dowel for holding
Right stock, 4" long #14 wood screw with a pair of "Vise-Grips" for holding.
God Bless, Frank.

#21 ·
I'm working on several older Mossbergs.

#1 is a WesternField brand 26C I'm trying to find a trigger guard for,it's complete with the correct hooded front sight and rear sight.I may trim the stock for clearance and put an S104 rear sight with a 4A aperture on it also.

#2 is a Spiegel 42AS we're fixing the bolt handle on and I'm waiting to get the stock from my friend who gifted the rifle to me.I still have to install at Mossberg "R" parts,ie trigger,trigger bridge,etc once I get the bolt done.

#3 is a 151K I'm looking for all of the pins for to reassemble it as someone had used it as a parts rifle.It has some amateur checkering started on the stock.

#4 is a 640KC that has the bolt,receiver and a slightly bent barrel.A friend from here gifted me a really nicely figured 620 stock for it.It too had been parted out but I have a lot of spare 320 Mossberg parts for the trigger assembly.

#5 is a 144LSB with some of the nicest grain/figured wood I've ever seen on a Mossberg.The stock is cracked at the wrist and I may bring it RMS stock maker in near me.He did a nice job on a Winchester 75 Sporter and his price was very reasonable.He had some big jobs ahead of mine so I told him to just do it after he finished his high dollar jobs. The stock has some light dents and slight scrapes so I'll see what he recommends to get it all prettied up again.I could ruin a railroad tie,I have no knack for woodwroking.I did take a Savage 110 I got from a pawn shop cheap that someone had stripped the finish from the cheap factory birch stock and managed to throw a serviceable weather proof finish on it and a friend Cera Koted all the metal parts for me.

#6 is the quickest and easiest one.My 144US that I got a replacement Redfield 75 sight base from bone and I just found the correct Redfield 65 globe sight for.So once the 65 sight comes in it'll be a quick sight swap and it will be all correct.

#7 is a Spiegel M42B,IF I get it,the postal service was supposed to deliver it this past Saturday but since then the tracking info says it's 'on the way from Colorado'.I have the worst luck with USPS. This rifle will need the very crusty sling swivel mounts either cleaned or replaced and a set of sling swivels installed.The rest of the rifle looks like a used but pretty well cared for 82 year old rifle.

I'm not into refinishing stocks or rebluing stuff.If a rifle I get is missing parts I try to use spares I have which are in similar condition and 'patina' to put them back to as they were equipped when it left the factory.

#23 ·
Well...

Well the 50, the 51, the Turk Mauser, and an 1894 Favorite all got an extra coat of Tung Oil on their respective stocks tonight!!!
It is absolutely amazing how much easier it is to apply finish and the smoothness of the surface when a fresh can of finish is used. Just been reteaching that to myself the last 2 weeks or so!!!:eek::rolleyes: Stay safe everyone!!!:bthumb:
God Bless, Frank

PS, LarDaBear I have not forgotten about the pins.

#24 ·
Well the 50, the 51, the Turk Mauser, and an 1894 Favorite all got an extra coat of Tung Oil on their respective stocks tonight!!!
It is absolutely amazing how much easier it is to apply finish and the smoothness of the surface when a fresh can of finish is used. Just been reteaching that to myself the last 2 weeks or so!!!:eek::rolleyes: Stay safe everyone!!!:bthumb:
God Bless, Frank

PS, LarDaBear I have not forgotten about the pins.
Yeah wood finishes don,t last forever once oxygen gets in the container. Nothing worse than using a old finish and instead of drying it stays tacky. Had that happen with Behrs TOF. I bought a gallon to use on a bunch of milsurps and on other wood projects. A couple years later I used it and it didn,t dry on a couple stocks. Looked good but tack. Real pain.

#25 ·
Put another coat...

Put another coat of Tung Oil on all the stocks, the 50 and 51, the Turk Mauser and the Favorite. A bit of cold blue and a spritz of satin black for one butt plate and the 50 and 51 will be complete, ready for function testing and working out any bugs that might show up... then SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON!!! June 6-20 but is that still "SPRING TIME"??? Then wait until Sept 7 til Feb 29 for the regular fall/winter season!!! Hopefully i will find a winner in the types of ammo currently on hand and hopefully both the 50 and the 51 will like the same ammo, hopefully!!!
God Bless, Frank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.