Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM
wachtelhund
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumb Hole Stock for my HK 770

This isn't a rimfire, but Iím making a thumb hole stock for my HK 770. Iíve been planning on doing this for several years. I thought I would document the process here. First off, I built a stock duplicator over the last eight years and produced several stocks with it. Each time, I re-designed and re-made the duplicator improving it functioning. Iím not a machinist, but I do have a Grizzly G704 milling machine with DRO which I bought used about ten years ago. My machinist training consists of two weeks of shop training in a Vo-Tech high school 52 years ago.

About three years ago, I made a thumb hole stock for my HK 630. In doing so, I first made a master stock, by duplicating a BTR savage thumb hole stock (produced by Boydís) and then duplicating the in-letting for the HK 630. Needless to say getting the second stock to line-up to be duplicated into the produced thumb hole stock was tedious and nerve racking; considering the master was going to be used to cut a $200.00 plus piece of aged walnut. One reason why it has taken me serval years to attempt making a HK 770 stock. The wood that Iíll be using is a 20 year old, air dried Bastogne Walnut stock blank.

I decided the easiest way to produce a HK 770 stock was to use the HK 630 master. The HK 770 receiver is about 5/8Ē longer than the 630. I milled out the front of the master receiver area, magazine well and cylinder head screw bushing (front piece of the lower trigger guard). At this point I have the upper receiver and barrel 85% bedded to the master. I still have to make sure the magazine well is correctly sized, receiver action bushings and trigger guard are bedded in place. Master is now for a HK 770.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5180232 (2).JPG (330.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by wachtelhund; 05-22-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM
wachtelhund
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pictures of the thumb hole stock that I made for my HK 630. Can't figure out these pictures, one time they are to large, next time they are too small.

Last edited by wachtelhund; 05-19-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
PaulNZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks great - the duplicator, the previous stock and your progress on the new stock. I just finished duplicating a stock myself (though I can't claim to have made the duplicator!) so I'll be watching with interest.

Are you going to inlet on the duplicator or the mill? I found using the duplicator for the exterior and the mill for the inletting gave me a much better result than using the duplicator for everything. Then again, your duplicator may be more accurate than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 01:39 AM
wachtelhund
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
Looks great - the duplicator, the previous stock and your progress on the new stock. I just finished duplicating a stock myself (though I can't claim to have made the duplicator!) so I'll be watching with interest.

Are you going to inlet on the duplicator or the mill? I found using the duplicator for the exterior and the mill for the inletting gave me a much better result than using the duplicator for everything. Then again, your duplicator may be more accurate than mine.
I'll be inletting on my duplicator. I bedded the receive and barrel to the master and will cut the entire new stock from the master. I'm working on the master forearm right now. Left a little too much wood the in the forearm of the master the first time. Master is made of maple so sanding is slow. Also, I have to build up the the center dividing section between the trigger well and magazine well. The 770 receiver is longer than the 630, 308 vs. 223. In opening up the master for the longer receiver I lost that divider. I'll use Bondo to fill the center dividing section and then mill it to shape. I finished the magazine well and cleaned it up with a file, magazine is a snug fit.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:31 AM
pmpski_1
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wachtelhund - wow. Just... wow. I am extremely impressed, both with the duplicator and what you've done with it. I hope that when I grow up and can do something this awesome. (I am already grown, no chance )
Old Today, 12:25 AM
wachtelhund
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ready to start cutting a duplicate stock. Master stock is bedded to 770 action. Second photo pieces are lined up in duplicator. Third photo router bit height is set. Fourth photo shows some of the blank wood is cut away before starting, not enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5250243 (2).JPG (481.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P5250239.jpg (489.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P5250241.jpg (495.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P5250248 (2) - Copy.jpg (468.3 KB, 0 views)