Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:32 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wet 22 mag ammo, will it fire?

Has anybody done any testing on 22 magnum ammo submerged in water for a period of time? Will it still fire?

I ask because my 22lr ammo squibs if I get a drop of gun oil on it. I'm talking CCI Velocitors and Aguila Interceptors. All my firing pin strikes are deep.

Is the 22 Mag with the full metal jacket more resistant to water and gun oil?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That's a pretty open question AS. I'd suggest:

1) Pull a bullet and see how the powder looks. If the water didn't muck things up inside the case then..

2) Go shoot it. Just be prepared in case of squibs. Take a cleaning rod or long dowel to remove a stuck bullet. And always good advice to listen to each shot and if it doesn't sound right STOP and investigate.

Given the crimped heel and lubricant found on rimfires I suspect you'll be fine but that's totally dependent on how long they were submerged.

Good luck,

Frank
Old 05-21-2020, 06:55 PM
snb73

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was doing some plinking last Saturday and didn't realize I had four rounds left in my pocket. I changed in the garage before going in the house and left the dirties in a pile on the floor.

While I was at work, my wife grabbed the pile and washed them. (That was thoughtful)

I get a call from my wife around lunchtime. She was a bit frantic shrieking something about blowing up the dryer. Yep, they made it through the washer and into the dryer.

When I got home I had to see if they'd shoot, 2 fired, 2 didn't.

The rim was dimpled on the 2 misfires, I loaded and tried again. Still wouldnt fire.

I removed the bullets. The powder was dry in one, wet in another.

I guess the moral of the story is; You might be ok if you fell in a creek, but they won't make it through a Kenmore!!!

At least half won't.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 08:07 AM
Cronkytonk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Once, went on vacation and put 1 box of cci mm and 1 box of remmys-both in the plastic 100 rnd. boxes-into a plastic bucket along with some other items, including a bottle of wine. Put the bucket in a trailer with all my other stuff for the trip north. Upon arrival, found out the wine bottle had broken and the ammo had been completely submerged for who knows how long.
All the CCI MM fired, none of the Remington that I tried would fire. Last Remington ammo I ever bought. That was 30 years ago.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sounds pretty stupid to me!!! Pretty much asking for a bullet to be stuck in your barrel... now how you getting that out let me guess... ramming something down the muzzle end of your barrel... do what maybe a screwed up crown... yea letís try that... the stupid stuff people ask...
Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM
COBrien
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
Sounds pretty stupid to me!!! Pretty much asking for a bullet to be stuck in your barrel... now how you getting that out let me guess... ramming something down the muzzle end of your barrel... do what maybe a screwed up crown... yea letís try that... the stupid stuff people ask...
Wow.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:21 AM
Airtool
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
Wow.
indeed...
Old 05-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Leonard T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BW I've always been told there are no stupid questions only really dumb answers. As far as trying why not just be ready for anything out of the ordinary. Good luck