Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:53 PM
zara_puppy
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First 10/22 - Long Overdue

Well my son kept saying “as long as you’ve been shooting and all the firearms you’ve picked up and kept or moved on and you’ve never owned a 10/22. Something wrong with that.” Maybe he was right. But of all the rifles to start looking at a 10/22 is the hardest. Get a standard and forget it? Build one over time? Then there’s the KIDD thing. Buy a Kidd and be done? Get Kidd parts and.... you get the picture. The debate is - how much do you spend to get a group of what size? What are you really going to use it for?

The only 10/22 that really ever turned my head was the target model. Then I saw the target models for sale #$&*sports.com. I’d have preferred the blue model but stainless was all they had. I now own one (model 1262). Topped it with a “decent” scope - Vortex Crossfire II. 4-12x40 AO. Until the Vortex arrived I put a Nikon Slughunter (borrowed from my White Whitetail Hunter.451) and went to the range. It shot OK. Barrel was new, etc. At least I got some break in rounds down the tube. Vortex arrives, put it on, went to the range this morning.

First pic is CCI Mini Mag solids - 10 shots- 40 Grain at 1235 fps. 50 Yards. WHAT is UP with that flyer high in the black. I can normally call flyers, but this one slipped by. Second pic is 10 shots CCI Standard (lead) at 1070 fps. So it looks like I hit the nail on the head - acceptable without spending $1,000+.

Sorry about the pics - kind of new to posting pics. Any, way this of course raises questions. Looking at some of Kidd’s parts the drop in trigger kit looks reasonable enough to get a good trigger I can do myself. With that maybe the spring kit? And since we’re putting in trigger parts, would the threaded receiver pins be of benefit? AND I was thinking a bolt buffer and Kidd firing pin. That’s about $140.

So based on the attached groups would these upgrades be of value?

And more importantly, this is it, right? I’m hooked and there’s no escape?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AC42510-6E4B-4BED-9571-224FCDE4F332.jpg (524.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1429FE7A-E5AE-445E-A023-45BBC592FABD.jpg (536.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by zara_puppy; 05-18-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 PM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Looks like you got a keeper.
They can benefit from some additional trigger work .
Pillar bedding and tightening up the receiver pins are very simple tweaks that wont hurt.
Or you can send it to CPC and let him do his magic in it.
I had Brimstone do a Tier 2 trigger job on one of mine and it made a huge difference.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:14 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
It's a beauty! Yea, I went to CDNN and looked........ NICE! Before I would spend any money, I would try some SK+ and Center X. If you have an in/lb torque wrench, try 18 in/lbs (or 20) on the action screw. With better ammo and the right torque, you might be really be smiling......a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 10:33 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh you are hooked trigger job , yes! Kidd charging handle,yes, and a bolt buffer yes. Good SV ammo , yes! And a can of Hornady One shot dri lube. Also scotch britE the inside of the receiver. Aluminum tape bed the action and you wont need as much torque on the action screw.

Have fun

The fancy pins are nice , but unless the trigger group is loose not really going to add anything.Even then i prefer the oversized pins.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You did good...I think you need a Mannlicher now.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:58 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Try some CCI SV and those groups will shrink even more. You definitely have a keeper. Congratulations
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 PM
zara_puppy
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And it begins.....

Ordered the following:

KIDD Pull Weight Tuning Spring Kit 7.5017.50
51KIDD Bolt Handle Charging Assembly With Guide Rod & Springs
KIDD .22LR Bolt Buffer
KIDD "Trigger Job" Kit with Hammer, Sear, Disconnect, and Trigger blade

When I’m putting all this in I’ll scotch brite the inside of the receiver. Going to get a Wheeler FAT wrench to make sure the screw torques are just right. Still have some studying to do for aluminum tape bedding, but maybe I’ll get there.

I blame my son. I think the only way to get back at him is to put a 10/22 in his hands. It’s only fair.

And - yes - I scored some various types of ammo. Took me a minute to figure out what some of you folks were saying. I’m still new to speaking “rimfire-ese”.

Last edited by zara_puppy; 05-22-2020 at 11:24 PM.